Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken down again and totally p!ssed off...........

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2001, 09:12 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

It only broke down 3 weeks ago with a MAF failure, and now its bust again!!!!
Saturday morning, turned the ignition on, engine management light merrily flashing away, engine turns over but wouldn't start.
After the last breakdown I left the Piper Cross induction kit off and put back the normal air box, just incase it was that that broke the MAF. Could the fact that I have de-catted the middle section and have a new rear box fitted be the cause of my problems? (all Magnex). Would I be better off leaving it as standard? Or have I just got a Friday car?!

Cheers,

not best pleased Chris.
Old 04 June 2001, 09:27 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Which car do you have??????

Old 04 June 2001, 09:30 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sorry, might help a bit!!

MY99 DGM Magnex centre section and back box, only done 17K

Chris
Old 04 June 2001, 09:40 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Rumours abound that the cause of MAF failures is actually vibration.

Could it be that mounting of the airbox isn't quite right?

Old 04 June 2001, 10:16 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

This is a strange one. I have a MY99 c/w a P/X ind kit, Mongoose B/box and de-cat s/s.

I had the exhaust and ind kit done August last year and i have done 20K since without a problem (touching wood like mad!)

I got the exhaust and ind kit from my dealership and at the last service they informed me that IM would not honour any claims for MAF's on cars with anything other than the genuine Subaru filter - they even showed me the fax circular sent by IM.

I then put a post on here to such effect and had a few of relpies from people who had suffered MAF failures. it did not seem down to any particular make ind kit or filter. Vibration was one theory as was overoiling and loose filtings/sucking in unfiltered air and the speed/velocity of the air passing over the MAF head causing it to fail.

This is a real sh*t that yours has done it with the std filter and airbox back in place.

Not much use - just a brain dump of what (little) i know.

Old 04 June 2001, 10:57 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Paul, the first time it broke down it was the MAF that had failed. Bit of story to this but what I did was get the AA to recover me home, the I swapped out the Piper cross induction kit and the exhaust system back to all original. 3 hours later! I rang Subaru Assist, and the car was flat bedded of to the dealership all legit! I wasn't sure what the score was with modifications and the warranty. When I got the car back I decided to leave the air box as standard just in case it was that that had buggered up the MAF. I did however swap the exhaust back over. This time round I was so p!ssed off that I couldn't be assed to swap the exhaust back over. I spoke to the dealership this morning and they didn't mention it. Will leaving the Magnex system on invalidate my warranty? Also they got the car running by re-setting the ECU. Is this the Subaru universal fix??!! To be honest I don't hold that much faith in the reliability of the car now. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Chris
Old 04 June 2001, 11:14 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

you might have killed your Lambda sensor when swapping exhausts? The Lambda sensor is in the downpipe, but they do appear to be fairly easy to destroy. Did you loosen the downpipe when you where changing the other sections?
Old 04 June 2001, 11:38 AM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Fast Bloke, I don't think so. The Lamba sensor is on the manifold down pipe? By swapping out the middle section and rear box you don't go near it. I reckon its a Friday car!

Cheers

Chris