Sponsored by:

CK1@the Ring -- questions for Stef

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2001, 12:14 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Rather later than everyone else, I've just acquired this video. Top stuff (I've still got another 30 mins to watch). A couple of questions though:

1) How come you've got so much dump valve noise between gears? Different dump valve or just a freer-flowing air filter?

2) On many occasions there's lots of tyre squeal on the entry to corners and none on the exit. I suspect the Scoob hasn't got enough grunt to 4-wheel drift out of a bend once you've slowed down enough for the apex?

3) Doesn't look the the oil temp gauge is connected

It would have been nice if the camera angle included some more of the steering wheel, so we could see if you're nice and smooth (like Alain Prost), or all crossed up and overcorrecting (like me )

What happened with the ring taxi? You were a fairly constant distance behind it (i.e. keeping up) then suddenly made all the distance up in one bend. I think he may have slowed down to admire the view

I think I may have to pre-order the sequel.
Old 01 June 2001, 12:36 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Stef, is my copy on it's way?
Old 01 June 2001, 05:24 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The ring taxi does seem to slow up... and later it seems to gain on stef very rapidly... and that was before stef fell off the track. I wonder how quick the taxi driver would be if they were actually trying??
Old 01 June 2001, 07:46 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi peeps.

Carl.
Glad you like the vid. In answer to your points...

1) I have a K&N Induction Kit which amplifies the dump valve noise.

2) Probably true.

3) It's not.

I had no idea when filming that the footage would be used for anything other than my own personal enjoyment. I have lots of ideas to include on the forthcoming vids. I'm normally quite smooth unless there's a nice sweeping right-hander!

I have no idea what the Ring Taxi was doing. He may have slowed down to let me pass, to then have something to chase. He obviously considered me a worthy opponent!
On the next video I have a whole lap behind it.

Fosters.
Did you order it off me??

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 01 June 2001).]
Old 01 June 2001, 08:12 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I have a great idea which I ought to patent, but I'll share it with you lot instead

One of the problems with the 'Ring is there are a lot of blind bends, and it's difficult to learn all of them. On Stef's video you can see (and hear...) him back off approaching a crest on a bend, then once over the crest it's clear it could've been taken flat out.

As the 'Ring is a 'one-way public toll-road' I assume it appears on the Autoroute Europe maps (I would check, but my CD's got a big scratch on it and doesn't work any more). For 100 quid you can get a GPS to plug into your laptop, mount the whole lot on the dashboard and you've got a neat little display of where you are on the circuit, and how tight the next bend is (just like Gran Turismo).

However, looking at Stef's antics I'm not sure the GPS will maintain lock without inertial navigation aiding.
Old 01 June 2001, 08:47 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Carl.
Wait until you see the end of the tape though, when I actually get to know the circuit a bit better!
Oh, and if you really want to look at a screen whilst hacking round there, be my guest!

Stef.
Old 01 June 2001, 08:50 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Stef -- I've played so much Gran Turismo I'm not sure I can go round a track without a little display of it in the corner of the screen

I think the thing that reminded me of this is that your dump valve noise sounds just like the one in GT2.

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2001, 10:44 PM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>As the 'Ring is a 'one-way public toll-road' I assume it appears on the Autoroute Europe maps (I would check, but my CD's got a big scratch on it and doesn't work any more). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got AR 2001 and it doesn't. I can remember the roads around the 'Ring and it shows them but nothing of the track.

Chris.
Old 02 June 2001, 01:38 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Sorry folks I have not seen the vid, but are we really saying 'taxi driver'? - perhaps I should buy it just for this - must be one hell of a taxi

Old 02 June 2001, 09:04 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

Question

Stef, One other question....What DID that biker do on the run down straight to upset you in such a way?
Old 02 June 2001, 11:09 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Steve

The ring taxi is a 400bhp BMW M5. It takes people for paid laps around the ring.
So it is one hell of a taxi!

Mark
Old 02 June 2001, 01:54 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Cool

Joni.
You can see on the video that I held the bikes up in the corner as I was being held up myself.
As one of them passed, he did a kicking action towards my car!
I felt like running him over!!!
I had the right of way as I was already on the inside of the bend. Some people just think they own the Ring though. There's a mental 650bhp yellow 911 who's driver has the same attitude.

Stef.

Old 02 June 2001, 02:10 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sort of " Lord of the Ring" Eh......
Old 02 June 2001, 06:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stef:
<B>You can see on the video that I held the bikes up in the corner as I was being held up myself.
As one of them passed, he did a kicking action towards my car[/quote]

Stef, I haven't seen your vid, but biker friends tell me that a movement of the leg is a type of "Respect" acknowledgement, as they dare not take their hands off the bars at that speed.

Bikers here may confirm/refute?

BJH

Old 03 June 2001, 07:05 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Brendan.
I guess it could of been, but I doubt it. It was very aggressive kicking!
Bikers?

Stef.