ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

M'way - undertaking, blinkered gits, etc

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2000, 12:05 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

My only commnent is if he was doing 70 and the inside lane was clear then why didnt he use it?...and how is he going to prove the matter anyhow?

What a waste of police time.
Old 15 January 2000, 03:27 AM
bruceh
Scooby Regular

Overheard conversation from the pub tonight (I butt in at some point). But listen:

a) "Had the Police at the House last night. Yesterday I took the number of a bloke who undertook me on the M4 and when I got home I rang the Police. I was impressed. They were around in about half an hour and took all the details".

b) Yeah? How come you got undertook? (sic)

a) It was about 10 o'clock just past Leigh Delamere services. I was doing 70 in the middle lane, nobody about, then I saw these lights coming up behind. I checked the speedo and I knew I was alright. Then the lights got closer and the b*s*a*rd just when straight past me on the inside! Got his number though! Wrote it down!"

me) 'Scuse me but.. how did you write his number down as you're driving along the M4?

a) Well, didn't actually write it down but typed it into my mobile phone. (me - ???)

me) And when you got home you phoned the Police?

a) Yes. They asked me if I could come to the station in the morning but I had to go to a Rugby match so I said no. Then they said they'd come round. And they did. I was impressed.

me) Why were you in the middle lane if there was nothing around?

a) I was doing 70.

me) AAARRRGGGHHH!

me again) What did the Police say?

a) They said they'd look into it.

me) Do you really think that's a good use of Police time?

a) Bloody right! I was obeying the speed limit and they went faster than me AND the went by on the wrong side!

me) (slide of to the bog to quietly puke up)

Comments, anyone? This is not a wind-up, I swear it is true.
Old 15 January 2000, 05:39 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got an aluminium baseball bat that you can borrow when you take him out the back of the pub.

Pratt's like that don't deserve a licence

Richard
Old 15 January 2000, 10:48 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

? some people. I have a shotgun
Old 15 January 2000, 11:23 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Wink

Isnt life sad sometimes
Old 15 January 2000, 11:51 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

What about a man who reported the theft of two dustcaps (albeit special aluminium ones worth 60p) and wanted immediate attention.

Or the couple who called 999 because he wouldn't give her the remote control for the TV.

Both absolutely true.

[This message has been edited by JasonHook (edited 15-01-2000).]
Old 15 January 2000, 03:55 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Recently I was driving along the M25 at about 85 mph in the overtaking lane on a fairly busy Saturday afternoon, when a BMW 5 series pulled straight out in front of me without indicating - I flashed him to show my displeasure and he proceeded to slam his brakes on, slowing to about 10 mph and then accelerating hard back up to 80ish. I kept pace about 50 yards behind and he proceeded to slam his brakes on again, down to about 30 when he through a full can of coke out of the window at my car.

At this point I phoned the police to report the pratt's behaviour, was asked where on the motorway I was, the BMW's description and Reg. No and then asked to call in and make a statement at my local police station.

I turned off at the next junction (I was by now keeping at least half a mile back) and a Police car came screaming on with all its blues flashing on (whether he was after the BMW or not I don't know)

On arriving at the Police station they wouldn't take a statement, because the CPS refuse to do anything without statements from 2 independent witnesses. So why the Police would take a statement from this guy is beyond me.

Paul
Old 15 January 2000, 06:02 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Red face

Same thing last Saturday M25.

Overtaking lane traffic speed 65.... inside lane EMPTY apart from one car about half a mile in the distance.

There really should be minimum speeds for each lane as well as maximum.

If only people would use mototrways properly congestion would ease.

Prsecott really should get off the speed bandwagon and onto the safe / sensible / considerate driving one. Then he would have everyones support..... except the fools like the guy in the pub.

Dave
Old 15 January 2000, 06:12 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

COMPLETE T O * * * R !

sorry administrators!

Mr Grimes , as an authority what's your oppinion !

driving without due care and consideration for other road users ?

mike

ps In Leeds we have a major d-restricted dual carriageway (70 mph limit !!) the A653 to dewsbury every time i use it some pr*t is in the outside lane doing 50 mph when there's nothing in the nearside !!(2 mile straight ,i ask you)

i wait to overtake..... use German autobahn tecniques ......the works .NOTHING

In australia they at least have signs

STAY IN LEFT LANE UNLESS OVERTAKING.

after all the amount of money ( TAX) we pay the govnt. should do something.

mike

[This message has been edited by BladeRnnr (edited 15-01-2000).]
Old 15 January 2000, 06:46 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do scooby drivers get more grief from other road users because they drive scoobs or is the general attitude of all drivers out there getting worse?

2 incidents recently have had me a bit concerned - more so 'cos wife & sprog in the car and its potentially putting them in danger too (also even when I'm blameless my wife says its my fault!).

1st coming into London on the A2 from Bluewater sunday evening before Christmas. Traffic is fairly heavy & I'm in o/side lane doing 75ish. There's a cossie behind & he's content to let me make the running (& has been for several miles). Its not sensible to move into the middle lane as there is a car coming up ahead (30m doing 65) & lad in Corsa undertakes cossie & me at 95+ (?) and cuts in front when car in middle lane is only 5m distant. Outrageous, crap and downright dangerous driving. Give him 3 or 4 seconds of Scoobysport Cibies ( ) whereupon Corsa slows from his 95+ to about 60 & starts giving handsignals out the window. I slow but that is also a cue for more Scoobysports (cossie at this point undertakes me & then with a downchange into 3rd & a glorious flame from his big-bore blasts past Corsa). Idiot keeps doing 60 & pulls into middle lane, so I increase to my previous 80 max & overtake. Mistake. Idiot then proceeds to follow me (in whatever lane & whatever speed - which didn't exceed 80 'cos of speed cameras) at 10ft from my rear bumper with his headlights on full beam. I tried slotting myself between 2 slow moving cars but idiot went in front & slowed down so that the car in front had to overtake. At one point he pulled alongside & you could see he was mouthing off (don't know what his young lady passenger thought about all this). Once he had started playing silly buggers I made sure that I didn't rise to his intimidation or attempt to provike him in any way. I tried to let him get bored with the game & forget about it. I didn't try & outrun him (easily possible as his was only a basic Corsa - but my names not David Beckham & it would have increased the danger for my precious cargo). I refrained from giving him more of the Scoobysport treatment. I was now concerned as we were coming upto Kidbroke corner where there are traffic lights & a potential hold up & instructed my wife to phone the police as I thought that should I have to stop idiot would get out & try & have a go at me (not too worrying but I don't need that sort of hassle). He fortunately turned off (beeping his horn madly) at the last junction prior to the traffic lights.

Anyone out there explain what I did to deserve idiots attentions for what must have been over 10 miles? The fact I had Scoobysports [& hopefully I damaged his retinas] is irrelevant because he would have done the same had I not had them. I gave him full beam for a dangerous undertaking manoeuvre & a further few seconds for gesticulating at me, otherwise I did my best to avoid antagonising the ****. I have done Dick Grimes driving course & I'm sure that he would not disagree with any of my actions. I would not say that anything I did could be construed as agressive.

2nd incident was some other idiot, doubtless fed up of 30 mins of very slow moving traffic, who had been well behind me for 20 miles before traffic jam, then for the next 30 minutes/5 miles, suddenly decided that I was not catching up with the stationary traffic ahead quick enough & started giving it large with headlights & horn! This carried on for the next 10 mins. There were only 2 lanes & I couldn't go into the inside lane 'cos it was solid (why should I?). At this point it became back to 3 (M6 Blackpool turnoff folks!) & I increased to my previous speed & pulled over to let him past. Not this one, he decided to move behind me & stay close (at 80). Prehaps he had actually enjoyed following me for the last 45 mins & didn't want to lose me. I slowed further & so did he. To 55 & inside lane & still he followed. ? . I eventually slotted myself between 2 lorries & totally ignored him when he drew up alongside. WHY? I hadn't even had the pleasure of giving him a bit of Scoobysports!

Long post, I know, but either people are jealous of Scoobys or it's getting more dangerous out there with people having scant disregard for their own & other's safety just for ... what?
Old 16 January 2000, 12:01 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

James,

Sorry to hear of the hassles, particularly when wife & baby on board.

I personally have found that people in lesser cars do want to aggrivate you in the Scooby...what is it with these idots?

Oh well, dont give them the pleasure unless perfectly safe to do so!

Sunil
Old 16 January 2000, 01:10 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

The most foolish thing you can do is start flashing, signalling and other such gestures when someone you don't know is driving in a way you don't like.
Driving my previous car, with wife and son, a total buffoon in a GTi convertible with three of his mates attempted a right turn while I was driving toward him.
I avoided his car, sounded my horn [the ultimate crime] and drove on.
The gentleman executed a U turn and gave chase flashing, tooting etc.
All right then, says I, and stop. GTi doesn't.
One smashed Mercedes and one written off Golf.
One mobile call to the police and a disposable camera to take pictures.
Arguing, gesticulating and fisticuffs anyone?
Fortunately, you have cars which can get you out of trouble as easily as they can get you in it.
But when you flash, horn and toot consider the brain cells located in the car in front.
Nowadays I call every second driver a rude word. But never out loud! It just isn't worth it.
Mitsubishui Carisma GDi courtesy car anyone?
Old 16 January 2000, 08:12 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would have thought the police would have nicked our friend Mr ********, as he is breaking the law (I an not sure but I think it is ileagle to drive in any of the other lanes unless you are overtaking slower trafic, they are overtaking lanes afterall). S'pose he had his BMW car keys on the bar for all to see
Old 16 January 2000, 09:38 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Angry

Is the sign still at the bottom of the M1 saying
"KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING"?
Must say it's the only one I have ever seen in this country.
If I win the lottery I would pay for them to be put up on every slip road (sorry; Acceleration Lane)

Where do these people learn to drive?!!

Other nice touches from down under;
Recommended maximum speeds for each corner; they give you an idea of what to expect.
No Kerbs, so you can ditch hook it round the corner if you're pressing on.
Old 17 January 2000, 08:25 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Speeding is all the police are interested in.

I was forced off the road by an HGV - came within inches of ending up under the trailer. Had I been in virtually any other car, I would have been hospitalised, if not dead. Got reg number, reported to police, it took them 8 days to call me back to take a statement, and even then didn't as they wouldn't press charges unless there was an independant witness.

Moral of story - you can drive like an arsehole, kill people if necessary, as long as there are no 3rd party witnesses around! You will only get the polices attention if you break the speed limit afterwards!!

Lowest form of life
Old 17 January 2000, 05:18 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

It has always been my argument that money would be better spent teaching people to drive properly than throwing up Gatso's everywhere (let's not get into the Gatso thing though).
I think a well presented TV campaign reminding drivers that you should return to the inside lane(s) as soon as you have executed your overtaking manouver would jog peoples memory and remind them that the frustrated driver behind them is quite within his rights to expect you to move over.
The threat of prosecution for such offences (suggesting a hightened campaign by the Police) should top it off nicely.
For my part I have to confess to occasional undertaking (brace yourself Neil).
My tecnique is to remain behind the driver for a suitable period to allow him to notice my presence and clear the lane.
I then drop back and re-approach.
If this doesn't do it, I will move to the inside lane and hang around in sight of his nearside mirror.
He then has a few more moments to decide if he wants to use the empty lane in front of me, if he doesn't and I consider it safe, I will use it (why waste it?).
Such drivers are effectively reducing 3 lanes to a dual carraigeway or worse.
It is a bizarre spectacle to see 1 or 2 inside lanes unoccupied for as far as you can see and a 1/4 mile queue behind a 68mph Hyundai.
Before you finish me off and mop me up with the last of the toast, consider the highway code.
It states that there are 3 situations in which you can overtake onthe inside legally; In a one way street, when traffic on the outside lane is waiting to turn right and when traffic in the outside lane is travelling slower than the inside lane..........(I know I may be exercising a little interpretation on the last rule but it makes me feel better).

Neil.
Old 17 January 2000, 05:44 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Question

Is this not a bit 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other!

This nimno was in the middle lane on the M4 - true? I hate him already - he's a pratt but -
- He was undertaken on the inside lane on the M4 - true?

- So if the nimno was the only one on the road - why did the other guy have undertake on the inside - when he supposedly had the outside lane clear - and could do like everyone else usually does - overtake then swing back in abruptly - steering with right arm while franticly gesturing with left for Nimno to move over!!!

And -if the other guy came up behind him - was he also in the middle lane - when he should have been in the inside lane in the first place - and if he was, then it is quite legal to travel on the inside lane (undertaking) for want of a better word as long as you don't change lanes. (This is have on good authority as true).

Why didn't the police do Nimno for using his mobile phone while travelling at 70mph on the M4 ?

[This message has been edited by Penni Whitehead (edited 17-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Penni Whitehead (edited 17-01-2000).]
Old 17 January 2000, 06:27 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Maybe the guy was trying to make a point by undertaking. I would!

He said he only typed the number into his phone for recording purposes...which is flipin hard when trying to log alpha-numeric combinations. He called the police when he got home and how do we know he didnt have a hands-free kit?

Who is Nimno?

And why is the sky blue and why am i gettting fat??

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 17-01-2000).]
Old 17 January 2000, 07:25 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mr Grimes states on his course that as long as you do not undertake on a Motorway/D-carriageway in an unsafe & agressive manner then it is ok to do so.

Sunil
You drink too much beer & spend too much time on the chat - thats way you're getting fat
Old 17 January 2000, 07:43 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

People just <I>hate</I> being undertaken. Even if they're sitting at 68 in the outside lane of the Motorway. If you undertake them they will suddenly wake up, speed up and flash their lights at you. Ooh, ooh, you're blinding me! Sad. Also, some people speed up as soon as they realise you're undertaking them. Usually this is futile if you're in a Scooby but sometimes they can make up just enough room for it to be unsafe for you to nip back in in front of them. Sad.

Old 17 January 2000, 09:01 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

While not trying to defend the idiot who took offence to being undertaken, I can think of a couple of very good reason for *NOT* using the inside lane even if it is free....

1) Lorries use the inside lane. Lorries spill diesel. FACT. It therefore stands to reason that you're actually safer in one of the outer lanes where you're not driving on an oil slick. [Any bikers out there? this sound familiar? :-)]

2) Lorries use the inside lane. Lorries are heavy. FACT. It therefore stands to reason that the inside lane will be more worn than the outer lanes. You're therefore going to have better roadholding and less tramlining if you avoid the inside lane.

Driving along in the second lane of a three-or-more lane carriageway I can understand, and partly sympathise with.

If I'm in a rush I might be tempted to stay in the second lane for the improved road surface. Also if conditions are bad I'de be tempted to stay in the second lane, again because you've got more chance of finding traction.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 18 January 2000, 12:49 AM
Jon Stewart
Scooby Regular

Wink

I find PIAA's quite good at jump starting "CLOD's" brains!
Old 18 January 2000, 10:09 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

I agree with Penni. Ok the guy should have been in lane 1 but what's wrong with using lane 3 ("the overtaking lane") to get past him? More of a problem if the road's busy and he's being a ***** in the middle lane but in this case, no probs
Old 18 January 2000, 10:14 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

A biker friend of mine used to circle middle-lane hogs when he came across them. Overtake, move left, slow down then move right & overtake them again. I think he reckoned about 1/3 of them moved over after this.

I usually move over & overtake them on the right because sometimes, they realise their "mistake" and move to the inside lane.

I'm always annoyed that the police don't do more about them, particularly as they usually refer to them as CLODs - Centre Lane Owner Drivers.

Still, what to you expect. As a learner, you are banned from motorways, but as soon as you pass your test, you are allowed to drive on them. The "slow lane" idea is firmly entrenched in many people's minds due to a lack of education.
Old 18 January 2000, 10:24 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Or also members of CLOC the Centre Lane Owners Club

Problem with using the Outside lane to get past these people is you have to pull out twice, lanes 2 and 3, and then back in twice to get back to where you were.

Its annoying that people use the centre lane on busy motorways when there is no traffic on the insode lane, because they are turning a 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane dual carriageway which slows the traffic down and causes massive problems.
Old 18 January 2000, 01:12 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

I have to admit in these sort of situations I tend to come right up behind them (possibly a little closer than they were expecting ), signal three times, overtake on the outside, signal three times again and then swiftly pull across the front of them and into the inside lane and away.....

I'd say 90% of people overtaken in this manner realise the error of their ways and follow suit by pulling into the inside lane.
Old 18 January 2000, 01:22 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Wink

Further to Sunilp question "Why is the sky Blue"

A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. However, when we look towards the sun at sunset we see red and orange colours because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.

As to "Why am I getting fat?" well you'll just have to give up the beer and Mars Bars
Old 18 January 2000, 03:10 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Anyone ever zoomed up close behind someone idling in the middle lane (as detailed above), flashed the powerful lights, "yeah, get out of the middle lane you stupid old git" and been flashed back with some blue lights and a "pull over" gesture?

Entrapment, maybe, but see other threads as to how the police manage to avoid prosection.

See also: "The unmarked police car was driving too close to me, your honour, so I accelerated out of the way as I was worried it might be a stalker/getaway car/boy racer with mates"
Old 18 January 2000, 03:11 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

I find that if you yourself keep to lane 1 except when overtaking and signal your presence in lane 1 using your high beam flash (highway code: signalling I am here, same as car horn) when approaching "middle lane hogs" a fair number of them do wake up and move over before you get near. Yet more will do the same when you have OVERtaken them and returned to lane 1. The rest are ignorant, arrogant or just plain asleep at the wheel.

I find having to switch lanes to overtake these lemmings helps to break the monotony of boring motorway journeys.

The best approach is to be safe, considerate and correct in your approach. You play by the lane rules and they often start following your example, well as long as you are in sight, anyway.

Moray

Quick Reply: M'way - undertaking, blinkered gits, etc