Sponsored by:

A14 Speed Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2001, 01:44 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Whilst down in the South over the weekend, I came across an unnerving number of cameras, the likes of which I haven't seen before.

They were on the A14 and facing oncoming trafic, with white lines right across the road, rather than the staggered dash-lines with the usual GATSOs.
I guess that ,as they are facing the traffic, that they don't flash, and looked like they had some sort of Infra-red sensor on them.
Can anybody enlighten me as to how these work ,and when you know you've been got?!
I know I went past a couple at 'enthusiastic' speeds, but not way over the limits.
I am a bit concerned that my trip might have cost me more than a couple of tanks of juice!

Cheers
Steve
Old 29 May 2001, 01:49 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Truvelo forward facing cameras - electronic pics too
Old 29 May 2001, 02:07 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Work via strip in the road, so radar detectors won't pick them up
Forward facing so no contest who was driving
Infa red so you don't even know is you have been nabbed until the letter/NIP comes through

Buggar
Old 29 May 2001, 07:39 PM
scooby2000
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

i too saw these cameras when driving across to norfolk the other week the question i have if they take a picture of the front of your car with your reg number etc... what happens if your on a bike what details can it take no plate on the front of bikes it seem they bias to car drivers . any legal bod answer this one ???
Old 29 May 2001, 08:23 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

scooby2000,

it certainly is biased! Also, consider _any_ gatso on the A14 (which i expect is a 70mph limit)...

An HGV can merrily drive along at 40% over their (50mph) limit without getting nicked - but could _you_ get away with doing (the equivalent) 98mph in your car?

The trouble is that this kind of descrimination is considered perfectly acceptable by the powers that be!

mb
Old 30 May 2001, 09:13 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by boomer:
<B>scooby2000,

it certainly is biased! Also, consider _any_ gatso on the A14 (which i expect is a 70mph limit)...

An HGV can merrily drive along at 40% over their (50mph) limit without getting nicked - but could _you_ get away with doing (the equivalent) 98mph in your car?

The trouble is that this kind of descrimination is considered perfectly acceptable by the powers that be!

mb[/quote]

The Bike issue is a real one - and does contravene some EU legislation, but it still won't stop you getting prosecuted.

For trucks, I know Gatso cameras can be set at different levels for different vehicles (ie lower limits for HGVs etc). Don't know about Truvelos, but as most trucks are restricted to 56mph anyway, and more easily 'nicked' from the tacho reading, it isn't a major issue, and certainly not a long term problem as all new HGVs for some years have been fitted with restrictors since new!!
Old 30 May 2001, 09:38 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

With HGV's, I gather they have to send off all their tacho readouts, so if they ever go over 56mph, they'll have some explaining to do.