Sponsored by:

what do YOU want from subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2001, 08:07 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

heres a positive post, and one that i hope SOMEONE freom subaru will read.
i got my 330ci today and im well happy. at the end of the year, princess wants to change to another car, her my95 is getting on a bit etc.
the shame is, we cannot contemplate a my01. no matter what is said, even with pete croneys facelifted car, we just cannot like the way it looks.
its also a bit of a p155 take having to spend even more money out on ppp, better suspension etc.
so the future looks bleak. will subaru ever make a car again that MAKES me want to buy it?
is there rumours of a different looking car in the not too distant future? please dont say uk300, it looks even more ridiculous, and the price is a joke.
what would be nice is if people could suggest some things that they want on the next scooby, and be realistic
what im saying is, a lot of scooby owners seem to be drifting away, or are dissatisfied. i love our my95, but what next?im trying to be positive, and as i say, it would be nice if someone in the know could offer some hope.
what do YOU reckon guys n gals?
Old 27 May 2001, 10:52 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Smile

Easy, same prices as holland/belgium, new front end/lowered suspension and the japanese WRX engine (250PS and more ecomical than the UK 218PS) So lets say £16995 if they keep the UK engine and £17995 with the new engine.

Would also like an STI model at a sensible price from my local dealer (say £24995).

While we are at it how about bringing a legacy B4 and GTB over, they are very god value from importers (new B4@£21k), so IM could sell the for a good margin I am sure

Now I know it is pure fantasy, but it is really bad situation at the moment, £16k for a WRX in europe, £21.5 in the UK, sort it out please IM

Oh yes and friendly dealers who don't look down at you because you are young/old/badly dressed or drive an import! We are the customer, most other dealers have realised that whether they service an import or a uk car it is still the same deal, ie they get there £50p/h!

Sorry trying to be positive, not too happy with current Scooby line thats all.

Jon
Old 27 May 2001, 10:58 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>>what im saying is, a lot of scooby owners seem to be drifting away, or are dissatisfied

Based on what info?

greg
Old 27 May 2001, 11:51 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with you all that the prices are harsh. For the cost of a new WRX in the UK, you could have had a brand new STI v6 in Australia. UK prices are better than the Greek prices though. WRX's are a few grand dearer here.
Old 28 May 2001, 01:20 AM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

gregh
its not rocket science mate. how many my01 have you actually seen on the road? ive seen 3 in all the time theyve been out. how many times have you read posts on this bbs regarding unacceptable surging, iffy clutches, poor headlights, crappy interiors, dealers not living up to expectations, etc etc.
the idea of this topic is for subaru to try and convert ex scooby owners into perhaps WANTING, at all costs, one of their cars again. if the new wrx is SO desirable, why is it being sold at car supermarkets? why will dealers give healthy discounts on them?
why are people complaining more? etc etc.
i am NOT trying to denegrate the scooby. we still have one.
but i want to be able to say i REALLY want another. that in 2 years time say, they have produced a car that you just have to own.
theres no point just accepting things. if enough people put across healthy opinions, then maybe, just maybe, someone at IM or whoever might just listen to the people on this bbs, who after all, are serious scooby people.
Old 28 May 2001, 08:44 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by gregh:
<B>&gt;&gt;what im saying is, a lot of scooby owners seem to be drifting away, or are dissatisfied

Based on what info?

greg[/quote]

The increasing number of owners going to BMWs/Audis/Evos/.....?
Old 28 May 2001, 09:09 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Another ****ry another market. Here in Slovakia Subaru importer sold 3 Bugzilla WRX in this year what is more than last two years together. The only reason is Bugzilla`s comfort and ride quality. This car is good for older drivers too not only for fanatic or advanced drivers. No matter if it`s expansive and ugly...
Old 28 May 2001, 09:40 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>gregh
its not rocket science mate. how many my01 have you actually seen on the road? [/quote]

It obviously is rocket science to you mate - Subaru sold more MY01 cars in the 1st quarter this year, than MY00 cars in the first quarter last year - and this at the same time as selling the run-off of MY00 and MY98 P1

So they are out there - they probably just feel excluded from this BBS as generally posters are so bluddy horrible about the car. Expect Scoobynet II anyday now for MY01 and beyond.

And, no, I drive a MY99 car.

Spooky!

[This message has been edited by Spooky Mulder (edited 28 May 2001).]
Old 28 May 2001, 11:22 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I agree, I think Subaru do actually listen.This is why over the years they have slowly improved interiors,brakes etc.The problem is that this niche product is now having mass consumption and a lot of newer buyers are actually finding a Scoobie is not their cup of tea.It was never meant to appeal to the masses.
Also,no car can improve exponentially,you can not expect Subaru to break new barriers every year/model without the price spiralling.I must admit I feel Mitsubishi have done a better job of year on year improvements with the EVO's,but then this is a much lower volume and higher priced car.
Old 28 May 2001, 11:55 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

It would be interesting to see where all these new MY01's have been sold. I've only seen two car's in the flesh. One in Glasgow, the other 50 miles away in Ayrshire.

The roads certainly don't appear overcrowded with them up here - or maybe I don't get out much

Stefan
Old 28 May 2001, 12:00 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Why sell the old and boring pre-MY01?
Old 28 May 2001, 12:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exclusiveness

the 9 month wait was a pain in the @rse for those wanting a car, but for those with one it made you feel that bit more special. Also meant you didn't feel used and abused having paid full wack for one.

So much for the good old days eh!

Stefan
Old 28 May 2001, 04:54 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Red face

Simple test - how many RB5s or P1s do you see knocking about.

I certainly see a lot more MY01s than P1 in my neck of the woods and there are loads of Scoobs around here - they're everywhere
Old 28 May 2001, 05:40 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

I personally can't see myself buying another Subaru. The Impreza is a classic driver's car for a good price, but I've heard a lot about problems with dealers, and although they've always been dealt with promptly, the niggles on my P1 are a pain and shouldn't have been there if the car was well built in the first place. Despite these niggles the Impreza is still a great car, but the new one seems to have lots its edge. Apart from the Evo, I can't think of another car that performs as well as the old scoob for decent money.

P.S. Why not change the 95 scoob for a 99 or 00 scoob? IMO it is still the best practical performance car in its price range.

[This message has been edited by matt d (edited 28 May 2001).]
Old 28 May 2001, 07:12 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Wink

It was about this time last year that i was in my local dealers talking to a salesman he said that they had taken loads of orders for the MY01 unseen at that, customers were going on SUBARU reputation as they had'nt seen the new one yet.To date my wife and i have seen about 7 MY01'S between us.
Old 29 May 2001, 01:24 AM
schuey
Scooby Regular

If Subaru were to sell Pete Croney's car with a full PPP for £19,995, with an upgraded interior and slash serviving costs by 30% then we may be talking. Somehow I just can't see it happening, or even getting close.

Jon

Old 29 May 2001, 01:25 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

IMO the cult status is still retained by the old car, but lost by the new car.
Over here, no one wants them...people are searching for the old shape and the new shape is still sitting in the showrooms. The main ones that are selling of the new shape are the GX's and the RX's (both non turbo). These are a lot cheaper and would appeal to a broader market where looks and performance arent a real factor.

When I first test drove the new car I was very open minded and gave it a fair go and pretty good review, but as time has gone by my opinion has changed.
I have done a lot of test driving of the new model trying to make up my mind....sure it handles better and has great brakes, but the power delivery we all love has been lost and the looks (to me) are not eyecatching (eveyone knows you can spot the old shape coming a mile off).

I will hang on to my old car (the cult one). I just cant justify shelling out even more money for what I think is a backward step by Subaru. This is only my opinion...I bought my 1st Scoob because I wanted an affordable SPORTS CAR and that is exactly what it is. For me the new one has completely lost it edge...it is no longer sporty in performance or looks.

If indeed Subaru do take notice of posts like this then here is my 2 cents.

Dear Subaru,
The WRX is a cult car which should have remained just that. If you wanted to appeal to a broader market then you ALREADY have other versions of the Impreza that do this (the RX and GX models, wagons etc).
What I was really expecting from the new model was something radically improved in the genre that the WRX created in the firstplace. I was expecting a car that still looked sporty and distinctive and had an even better power delivery and more turbo rush than ever ( a better sports car package). Instead we got a sluggish heavier car that is supposed to be more refined interior etc. Hello Subaru!!! I dont think anyone buys a WRX for refinement. We all wanted a car that went like stink, handles great, rides like a jackhammer on uneven road and looks great. We've lost that and I dont think we can ever get it back (without extensive mods of course). I will keep my old model WRX for some time but...The king is dead, long live the EVO.

spudgun is this the kind of reply you're after

Greg.
Old 29 May 2001, 07:53 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

kind of greg, i just want someone in the know to say dont worry, we realised weve ballsed up, and in a year or two we'll give you what you want, i.e. means looks, no surging, no iffy clutch, decent interior, and a car that goes like stink, all for under 25k. is it REALLY too much to ask?
spooky, i know your only repeating figures in the motoring press, but the fact is ive only seen a couple in the time theyve been out. not one person i know wants one, likes em, or is planning to buy one. sure, some people do like the my01, but does it make people WANT one, like the old pre my01? no, i dont think it does.
i want something positive, otherwise its time to move on. even princess, who is more a scooby fanatic than me, is looking at an evo6 or skyline as her next car, she just doesnt like the appearance of the new shape. add to the fact we had our fingers burnt buying expensive dealer mods on the my00, only to loose a packet, why should we want to spend another fortune making the my01 look and go as a scooby should?
someone out there reassure me eh? i'm losing hope