Sponsored by:

Need help identifying mods on 06 Blobeye STI

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2024, 10:45 AM
Samwilson0702
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help identifying mods on 06 Blobeye STI

Hi guys, looking at picking up this 06 Blobeye Sti, which has a couple mods listed including a front mount intercooler (Brand not listed) & HKS Pod filter. Was wondering if anyone was able to spot anything else? Or if anyone could get a specific part / brand for the Front mount intercooler, and the device on the top left coming off the FMI pipe with the blue wire coming out the back? Thanks!

Last edited by Samwilson0702; 18 February 2024 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Included image of intercooler from front of car
Old 18 February 2024, 11:08 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

The blue bit attached to the silver pipe at the back of the engine , by the bulk head looks like a dump valve , if I bought it I will shroud off the air filter as all its doing is sucking hot air in from the engine bay 👍
The following users liked this post:
Old 18 February 2024, 11:12 AM
Samwilson0702
Scooby Newbie

Thats what I presumed it was, but I'm not completely familiar with FMI setups so thought it was good to double check! And yeah that would be something I will look at for sure, thanks for the reply!
Old 18 February 2024, 11:22 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Main thing is rust I expect , then mileage , at the rear of the car , a through check around outer rear arches and the sills on the back of the car , worth checking inside where the rear turrets are and the inside of the boot where the turrets are , as they appear to rust from the inside , I had not driven mine for a while and noticed condensation on the inner rear turrets in the boot , the car was dry inside other than that , and last but least check the mot and service history , vehicle smart is very good for checking mot history plus gives you reminders tax insurance servicing etc 👍😁
Old 18 February 2024, 11:34 AM
Samwilson0702
Scooby Newbie

I've spoken to the owner and they said they jacked it up and have spotted no rusting issues, they have sent plenty of pictures of service history (10+ years) Its currently on 78K Miles which isn't too bad. It had belts/filters changed last year, with discs, pads and sparkplugs in 2019. I ran an online check and everything was completely clear on that end. They also mentioned it was running a tune, as I had hoped considering the mods, but not pushing power only to account for the mods. Obviously wont know complete condition until I see it in person but I'll be sure to look for those areas you mentioned, as I have heard about the rust from inside the boot on other cars. But thank you for the useful advice!
Old 18 February 2024, 11:59 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

No problem , check coolant for any gunk in it , the rad non pressured expansion tank , if it's putting out small bubbles all the time the hg has gone , and a not very noisy rattle is bottom end issues , mileage is good , if it's not running much higher power I would not have bothered with a Fmic , but that's my choice , does it have a cat or de catted mot wise , good luck with hopefully a nice car 👍
Old 18 February 2024, 01:50 PM
Samwilson0702
Scooby Newbie

MOT December 2023, only advisory was one tyre near limit. Current owner put a Cobra racing cat June 2023. Checking coolant would be fine after the car is still warm or would it be best to let it cool? (For bubbles I mean, I'll try not to burn myself)
Old 18 February 2024, 02:20 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Check the car coolant when it's cold for gunk , you may get a few bubbles from the non pressured expansion tank when is started and running , but if it carries on bubbling with out stopping then likely a Hg issue , take it for a hard ish run check for the solid steam of bubbles again 👍 lots of bubbles likely walk away , other things can cause it bur for me not worth the risk , excuses like I just changed the coolant not good
The following users liked this post: