Sponsored by:

use of words quiet and quite

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 12:07 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

What about breaks instead of brakes, now that does annoy me !!!

Cammy
Old 23 May 2001, 12:13 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Wink

I also wonder how many people type on here when they are drunk...
Old 23 May 2001, 12:15 AM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Cool

In a world of "Netiquette" and not using UPPERCASE, etc. Does it really matter if we spell something wrong ? The BBS is a way of communicating in a quick and efficient manner, without having to worry about grammar and punctuation. LOL, m8,ROTFLMAO, etc, etc,... Lighten up everyone, for God's sake.... Ooooh.... Sorry God... your post !
Old 23 May 2001, 12:21 AM
GOD
Scooby Regular

I am not doubting people reasons for spelling badly. And I am certainly not saying sort it out, just airing a little irritation. I make obvious typos all teh time, but when it is not a typo, a huge repressed part of me, wants to correct that person even though it would be wrong. So by writing it hear, I can say something without directing it at individuals.

I also used to think dyslexia was an excuse for stupid people, until I met a dyslexic professor of quantum mechanics, I now fully believe it. I am stil wary of school friends who used to claim extra exam time though .

While I am here though.

I hate the use of ironic when people mean unfortunate, for example alanis morisette. that whole song has one line relating to irony, the rest is just misfortune.

The there is definate, when I see definite written, it makes me smile to see an informed person.

Dont mean to be a snob, honestly, but then I am the perfect being.

[This message has been edited by GOD (edited 23 May 2001).]

So, GOD, if you are so perfect, why did _you_ have to edit this message?

Moray
(I'm treading on mostly dangerous ground, messing with the words of god... quite like the guys who wrote the new testament... ok, I'll be quiet now, mostly. )

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 23 May 2001, 12:30 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GOD:
<B>While I am here though.

I hate the of ironic ...

Dont mean to be a snob, honestly, but then I am the perfect being.[/quote]

You may need to brush up on your grammer, or is that grammar, before claiming to be perfect
Old 23 May 2001, 11:22 AM
GOD
Scooby Regular

I have noticed, although I dont know if it is a typo, that many people confuse the words quiet and quite.

Quiet meaning opposite to loud.

and quite being equivalent to fairly.

just wanted to clear that up as it is bugging me.
Old 23 May 2001, 11:31 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Talking

While we are on the subject, the mis-use of the word "ignorant" pi$$es me off. It doesn't mean to ignore someone, it's the displaying of an opinion with lack of knowledge around a subject. To mis-use it for ingnoring makes the user of the word "ignorant" ! how odd.

Apart form that not much pi**es me off!

Old 23 May 2001, 11:41 AM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Guys, don't get pi$$ed off like that... don't forget that a lot of people here are not english natives. But they are, on the contrary, fairly educated people, to be able to write in a foreign language.

I wonder how many mistakes you would type if you were writing in French, or Portuguese. (Ok, I'm portuguese, and write in all 3 languages just as well (or bad ) ).

I wonder how many of you even speak another language other than English... Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to get at you... Just trying to get things into perspective a little. The important thing in a BBS is that we understand eachother, having common interests. Don't snap at people... most of them are already making an effort to even be here

cheers

Max
Old 23 May 2001, 11:43 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking

And how many people keep using 'loose' when they mean 'lose'?

Can anybody speak english anymore?

Not that mines perfick by any means
Old 23 May 2001, 11:46 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Wink

I am somewot confoosed as to wot you meen.

Afteral, we are only hooman and some peeple spell as they speek.

I used to ang around wiv Ali'G, derefore, I canot spell for sheet.

Aiiiit.
Old 23 May 2001, 11:50 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

So who made you God then?

Oh, I see... I'll get my coat
Old 23 May 2001, 11:53 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Another slant on this is that the person using the incorrect word, or spelling it incorrectly, could be dyslexic. I once, many years ago, gently flamed someone for poor spelling. His polite reply was that he was dyslexic, and that he would try much harder to spell correctly and that he hoped he hadn't irritated anyone. I ate an enormous chunk of humble pie and learnt a valuable lesson.

I am a bit of a stickler for good spelling, but I try to bear in mind that others may have a good reason for spelling poorly, using poor grammer or using incorrect words.

I'm going off to polish the halo know...
Old 23 May 2001, 11:59 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Q. what does DNA stand for?

A. National Dyslexic Association

I used to get riled by bad spelling - but, moderated my views - if i can understand the word, then the spelling's fine (note correct use of the apostrophe)

so loose, lose, its, it's ..... does it matter, isn't it just language evolving?
Old 23 May 2001, 01:26 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GOD:
<B>
While I am here though.

I hate the of ironic when people mean unfortunate, for example alanis morisette. that whole song has one line relating to irony, the rest is just misfortune.
[/quote]

No re-cycling of old Ed Byrne routines on here please.

Old 23 May 2001, 01:29 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Wink

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 23 May 2001, 01:40 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger;
neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.
Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly,
boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?
If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese?
One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch
of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.
In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same,
while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down,
in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on.
English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race
(which, of course, isn't a race at all). That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible,
but when the lights are out, they are invisible.
I thank you
Bob
Old 23 May 2001, 01:48 PM
GOD
Scooby Regular

Clap clap clap.

Brilliant post Bob, looks too well orchestrated to have been off the cuff, but excellent none the less.

Since you have pretty much ended the topic, I would just like to add my thoughts on one thing.

Your post mentioned the french, and the paradoxes of the english language also, my post mentioned irony.

So I would like to add on another note, the beauty of the irony that the british invented downhill skiing, yet the french take the **** out of us for being incapable at the sport.

I appreciate that it is off topic, but since it was closing, I wanted to add something that makes me smile.

Some other skiiers out there must appreciate this.

God (snowboarder - sorry)

[This message has been edited by GOD (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 23 May 2001, 02:35 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Talking

GOD,

The British invented many sports which we are now crap at...usually anyway.
Old 23 May 2001, 03:35 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

**** yuo God,

If i wnat english lessons ill go back to feckin skulle.

Twot!

I quiet like to read about scoobies - dont get affended if grammatically people is not correct like

Get a life looooser!

Jezza
Old 23 May 2001, 04:44 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

I actually like it to be quite quiet, 'cos I find that noise annoys when I'm aloft in a loft.
Old 23 May 2001, 04:44 PM
Luis
Scooby Newbie

...an "outsiders" version of what bob said...
I remember those prehistoric times in school when I had to choose which language to study. The options (in my school) were German or English. English was considered as "more difficult" because of spelling, irregular verbs and whatever else we don't have in our language (Lithuanian, which also has all kinds of bizarre forms, dating back to Sanscrit)...
Old 23 May 2001, 05:00 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

God,

I thought I would draw your attention to an observation I have placed in one of your previous posts... not that an omnipotent (or is it impotent?) being such as yourself would need prodding as such, you understand.

Moray
Old 23 May 2001, 05:17 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jerome:

I am a bit of a stickler for good spelling, but I try to bear in mind that others may have a good reason for spelling poorly, using poor grammer or using incorrect words.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jerome,

Just a thought.....

Shouldn't that be grammar?

Old 23 May 2001, 05:22 PM
GOD
Scooby Regular

Moray you will have to ask my girlfrend (goddess if you will) if I am impotent I would ask yours if you are but since it her that wears the trousers, the question would surely be an irrelevancy!
Old 23 May 2001, 06:40 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Nice post Bob. However I cannot let you off with one element of your reasoning which coincidental always drives me mad.....and that is the misunderstanding surrounding "Hamburger". Hamburgers were invented allegedly in Hamburg....hence the name. There is no such thing therefore as a bleedin' BEEFBURGER...Grrrrrrr
Old 23 May 2001, 07:07 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by joni:
<B>Hamburgers were invented allegedly in Hamburg....hence the name.[/quote]

Yup, thats totally true.
Old 23 May 2001, 07:23 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Ooooh, where to start LOL

Jerome: dyslexic people ... yeah, I met a whole family a few years ago. Very intelligent, but their writing kind of sucked... the jokes they had about it were brilliant though.

"What's a dyslexic agnostic ?" Answer: "Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog."

About the French Fries ... I may be mistaken, but they are indeed a French invention I thought ? (see my profile to add some importance to this ) And the Dutch eat more French fries per capita than the Belgians BTW.

About languages ... mhhhm, I think it is not wrong per se to correct people when they make obvious mistakes - when (if ?) you have the feeling they would appreciate it. It depends if someone is willing to learn or not. But flaming someone for their language - even P1WR - is really a no-no in my book. Unlesss... you can correct someone in their native language as a non-native speaker

BTW, it I personally believe that in the next few decades, we will all be speaking English, poorly or not, as it is the lingua franca of the Internet.

Theo [feeling paranoid with every word he typed in this post ...]
Old 23 May 2001, 08:00 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Cool

<B>I am not doubting people reasons for spelling badly. And I am certainly not saying sort it out, just airing a little irritation. I make obvious typos all teh time, but when it is not a typo, a huge repressed part of me, wants to correct that person even though it would be wrong. So by writing it hear, I can say something without directing it at individuals.
[/quote]

Sorry, I can't resist it ...

but you've just said by writing it hear .... (no you do that with your ears, well sometimes anyway)

I think you mean here (and I don't think that's a typo )

you see that's the trouble ... when you start having a go about language ... spelling ... grammar .... you do have to pay more attention to what you've written ...

nice to see that God is human after all

[This message has been edited by Rebecca (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 24 May 2001, 05:44 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

EvilBevil (shouldn't that be Bevel?) - anyway your point about English becoming the de facto language for communication because of its use on the internet mirrors the use of Latin 500 years or so ago - i.e your native language may be French, English, Italian, etc but when u communicated across international boundaries, Latin was used.

And where's Latin today?

So maybe English won't become the lingua franca, the internet is just a passing fad.
Old 24 May 2001, 07:25 AM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Wink

QUITE!

Quick Reply: use of words quiet and quite