Sponsored by:

XT Turbo Coup

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2021, 03:05 AM
dadoobwy@yahoo.com
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XT Turbo Coup

I have an 1986, 1.8 turbo fuel injected that has started to act up. It starts but won't rev beyond 700 and sounds like it is flooding and shuts down. Any thoughts?
Old 23 June 2021, 11:03 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

As you i assume have no obd then i suppose it’s a work through process , i don’t suppose the two wires green and white under the dash to read codes works ? first thing give the maf a clean start it any change , then when were plugs leads or coil changed , other sensors to cause issues are cam and crank , are you sure fuel pump is working correctly , a simple pressure gauge from ebay will tell you your fuel pressure , i’m assuming the engine and turbo were running fine 👍 quirky car, good luck sorting
Old 23 June 2021, 02:11 PM
dadoobwy@yahoo.com
Scooby Newbie

Default xt Coup

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
As you i assume have no obd then i suppose it’s a work through process , i don’t suppose the two wires green and white under the dash to read codes works ? first thing give the maf a clean start it any change , then when were plugs leads or coil changed , other sensors to cause issues are cam and crank , are you sure fuel pump is working correctly , a simple pressure gauge from ebay will tell you your fuel pressure , i’m assuming the engine and turbo were running fine 👍 quirky car, good luck sorting

I Checked the fuel pressure, it is running at 45 psi. All wires are new as is the distributer. Some things I haven't checked are the cam and crank sensors. Most of what we have been checking were the vacuum lines. The vacuum port on the back of the intake seems to be pushing air instead of sucking.
Old 24 June 2021, 10:31 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

you say distributor is new , has it gone wrong since it was fitted , is every thing set up correctly ?
Old 24 June 2021, 02:06 PM
dadoobwy@yahoo.com
Scooby Newbie

Default XT Coup

We may have chased it down to the air box on the air cleaner. It doesn't seem to be opening correctly. I have a new one on the way, hopefully this fixes it.