Sponsored by:

myoo......300+bhp ???

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2001, 06:41 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sorry to be a bother but I saw the post a couple days ago of a scooby supposedly pushing 380bhp. I have similar mods but i have no idea what figures i am pushing as i have no rolling roads available where i live. Mind hindering a guess at possible bhp/lbs figures?

mods:
myoo, aps front mount intercooler, aps cold air induction, prodrive free flow mid cat, scoobysports back box, uprated vf-23 turbo, blitz bov, blitz dsbc running 1.18bars.Uprated 550cc injectors, apexi safc and igniton controller, sti lightened flywheel.

0-60 4.5 secs consistently and sometimes lower.

other external mods are available on request.

cheers

nick
any other comments are welcome.
Old 18 May 2001, 09:19 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

My guess is a bit over 300 bhp, but not 380 bhp.

Drive your car somewhere to use a rolling road!!!
Old 19 May 2001, 01:55 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick,

I have a question for you. Firstly I too have an APS cold air induction, a Blitz bov, Blitz dsbc, fuel cut defender 5Ziggen mid section & bacbox with catless mid.

What setting is yor boost controller on to get the 1.18bar boost e.g 50 55 60? This is the ratio setting I'm asking. And what is the gain (rip) setting, that is, the way the boost is comming on eg 20 21 22? This setting I'm asking is the one where you push and hold the left button for 2 seconds to set how strong the boost comes on.

I've got mine on 60 and 23.

I think Polarbearit is right, just over 300hp probably 320hp as guys in OZ with similar settups get around 320hp. I'm in the same boat as you, No 4WD RR's in Greece.

Kind Regards,
WREXY.
Old 19 May 2001, 02:10 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Just looked in Modern Motor magazine the APS car got 328hp with similar to your mods but with Unichip. Similar boost as you till 5000 revs but it tails off to 0.95BAR by redline. Torque was 380Nm. Not sure what it is in lbs.

WREXY.
Old 20 May 2001, 11:40 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

Talking

wrexy,

right now i have set my boost at 60, which is exactly 1.18 bars. I think, but i am not sure that 2 incraments, ie. 58-60, changes boost settings by .01. You can check this by using the max boost read out on the dsbc. I haven't had time to really play with the gain settings yet but right now it is set at 20 just to be safe.

I have a few questions for u in return, i was wondering if u were looking to have any other setup changes or engine mods as i am looking to go a step further either in suspension or engine upgrades.Also, i was wondering what model scooby you have. ie. my00,99,98 etc...

One more thing, i had previously been looking to do an upgrade similar to that of a unichip but i saw little difference in running a ecu upgrade to that of the dsbc, ignition and fuel controller, which in my case turned out better as i have no rr available.

cheers

nick

p.s. have u ever run against an evo 6 with your present mods?
if so what was the outcome?
Old 21 May 2001, 01:28 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick,

I would like to get the front mount intercooler the larger turbo VF 23 as you have and the Unichip. For the Unichip it would have to be a trip to the UK with Scooby, probably Powerstation as they seem to be the best, going off what I've been reading here. My friend who owns Croydon Autosport in Sydney fitted my parts for me when he came here for a holiday. I bought my bits off him and loaded them in my container and brought them with me when I moved here. He is also a distributor of APS, but because there is no 4wd RR here we didn't fit the Unichip. I plan to fit the larger turbo and intercooler when he comes again next year for a holiday. The Unichip I think would be good for safety issues. Correct fuel mixtures and ignition timing are tuned for the modifications done, for the car to run at its best. The car should also run smoother too. According to my friend hp would also increase. Also you would not have to change to a different boost controller. You would keep the dsbc as the Unichip would be tuned to suit the boost you are running.

My Impreza is the MY00 UK Euro turbo.

For suspension I would probably go for the prodrive pack. I have done nothing yet although I will be getting the prodrive suspension geometry settings done very soon as this makes a difference even to the stock suspension.

I haven't raced an EVO 6, but a friend of mine who has been in one in Athens (2hrs away from me), and has been in my car said that down low mine felt a little stronger but the EV0 maybe a little stronger up top. He said the EVO gets up to 180kmh in a short space. I tried mine and it does this in a space of 600 to 700 metres on a slightly up hill road. He has said that he will organise for himself and the EVO friend to come to the town I live in so we can take both cars for a cruise. This talk happened 2 months ago. If and when they come I will let you know what happens.

Oh I almost forgot, I have ordered a Knocklink too, just to make sure my engine isn't detonating and so that I can adjust the boost to a maximum safe level.

Regards,
WREXY.

Old 21 May 2001, 05:18 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

WHOA.!!. 320Bhp OOPPPPPAAAALLLAAAAHHHH

You boys kick some supercar 4r$e.

M
Old 21 May 2001, 06:19 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

very interesting setup nick. why did you go for 550 injectors though ? i think you have 440 ccinjectors as standard and they should have been more than enough for the power you are running.

i have got similar mods excluding the APS FMIC. ie full decat, filter,vf23 and link running 1.2bar-1.25bar. the car is definitely faster than evo vi or stis( STANDARD TRIM ONLY) however the evo 6 will completely out handle the scooby

my best friend has got one and we have been on the track many times together, against each other and we have even swaped cars few times.

sam
Old 21 May 2001, 07:58 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wrexy,

I in my case I can say the best thing you could actually do is add in a vf-23. I ran my car every night before i put in the vf23 so that i would be able to recognise any difference if any when i put in the larger turbo. To my surprise after my scooby had come out of the shop, the car was storming!!!

To make a long story short, Previously i had been running a basic ppp setup but diverged into experimenting with all other parts ie. scoobysports etc. During then, i ran a friend of mine in his evo 6 along a highway at around um.. 80-120mph and also off a couple of traffic lights. It was all in good fun. The evo though surprised me. It did not leave me by much at all, that is until we reach about 100mph where it did pull away but only very slowly by only 1 or 2 car lengths.
This is where the vf23 comes in. Right now i am very confident that with my upgrades i should be able to take them down atleast in standard form. I have been lucky enough to run another impreza owned by a friend of mine who has a ppp setup and well, basically i create a 'gap' of atleast 3-4 lengths easily when acclerating. This now shows the vf23 turbos power, previous to the injectors etc upgrades which i hope will increase that 'gap' even further.

Questions:
what do u think will help to maintain reliability in my case or help me to reach my 350hp mark?
Also, what could u tell me about your gain settings on your dsbc as i am slightly bewildered with mine!!! =(

cheers

nick
Old 21 May 2001, 08:10 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

sam,

i read somewhere that the normal injectors on an impreza turbo are around 375cc and that they are not good for much more than 300hp as the sti's run bigger injectors. I was hoping for a bit more fuel and a better spread in order to gain a couple more hp and a decent increase in torque. I use the safc in conjunction with the 550cc injectors and it works beautifully. Nice pick up and a bit more low down torque as well as a smoother pull throughout the rev range.

cheers

nick

to wrexy,
i almost forgot, i was thinking of putting in an aquamist injection system, have any views on that?
Old 21 May 2001, 11:16 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

nick scott, that was my mates impreza supposedly pushing 350-380 brake.

well the latest on it is that he has had to take it back to rc developments as it's pushing so much boost it's pushing the heads off the block in his own words!!!

the fellas at rc are putting uprated head bolts and metal gaskets apparently.

it wont be sorted for a while as some PERSON with no insurance went into him on the front!! good job the lads 18 stone and grabed the PERSON, he's getting 5000 off him.

[This message has been edited by cryptwalk (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 11:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Hi Nick,
What else have you done and is your car a uk spec turbo??
Im just asking as i wouldnt trust pushing over 300bhp out of a uk engine without some serious mods to the block and internals.
Im not putting you down or anything but.......
i would have thought that going over 100bhp without serious internal components and a close deck block is asking for trouble, the internals aint as strong as the ones on the STI models and my my00 doesnt come with a close deck block either, unlike the STI's.
Getting what i call "cheap power" out of an engine is great until it fails and then your left with one hell of a large bill, then again this does give you the option of getting an STI engine fitted
no dealer would touch you though but it would be more reliable and i wouldnt have thought 320bhp would have affected it that much.
Just dont kill your baby, injectors are nice but they dont come out of your block when the engine goes boom

Regards
Tony

Old 21 May 2001, 11:42 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

cryptwalk

Sorry to hear about your friend, I am pretty sure i could understand how pissed off he must be. When his car does come out of the garages, make sure and tell me about how is car is running as i am very interested.

cheers

nick
Old 21 May 2001, 11:55 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tony,
I have a uk spec 2000turbo
Well right now those seem to be all the safety precautions i have taken, my mods that is. Larger turbo higher boost(bad), leaner mixture, bigger injectors, fuel controller, richen mixture(good). Fmic cooler/denser charge. I am not running high boost as right now the max is set at 1.1 and it will remain there until the oppurtunity arises and i would need to raise it otherwise.....=)So hopefully no holed pistons...

from what i have read the max pretty much is around 320hp on the uk engines. If i do go any further, i will be looking to do some internal mods ie. pistons, conrods etc.

the only problem i have heard of so far from running larger injectors is the fact that they might leak if not controlled properly ie.fuel controller, but thats why the apexi asfc is there. High boost is another problem but it seems safe to run under 1.2bars, hopefully.

cheers

nick
Old 22 May 2001, 12:03 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ok i'll keep you posted.

Oh he is very pissed off the asian guy smashed his 3 week old front mounted hks intercooler!!!!!!!

Aswell as the custom front bumper and twin lights.
Old 22 May 2001, 12:12 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

hummm thats a b*tch ....

Old 22 May 2001, 12:14 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick,
The APS car has 328 Hp with stock internals. They guarantee its safe (as featured in Modern Motor magazine similar to Evo UK mag). However it runs a Unichip which ads to safety and runs water injection, so water injection will help.
Like Tony says I would not go over this hp with standard internals cause it is a risk. If I had your car I would get the Unichip program, the water injection, leave boost as is and get a Knocklink to check for pinking (detonation). I would leave everything else too. I don't know about the injectors being needed that big as the APS car has the standard ones. The APS car is a MY00 Aussie UK spec.
The boost gain on your car could be increased to 23 to make the boost, cut in earlier as it would reduce turbo lag seeing you have the vf23. But I'd be scared to change it till I got a Knocklink cause you have got quite a few mods and may be risking it. I wouldn't be chasing any more horses than the above on stock internals.

Regards
WREXY.
Old 22 May 2001, 12:15 PM
nick_scott
Scooby Regular

oh one more thing

if any one would mind telling me how to post a pic, i will gladly put up some pics of my impreza and also an engine pic..... =)

cheers again

nick
Old 22 May 2001, 12:24 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I forgot to mention that when you do high speeds like after 160 kph i.e 100 mph turn your boost down to about 1.0 bar.
Old 22 May 2001, 12:26 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Angry

CRYPTWALK

WHY DOES THE RACE OF THE GUY THAT SMASHED YOU FRIEND CAR MATTER ?

Old 22 May 2001, 12:40 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Red face

It doesn't matter in the slightest what race the gentleman was. But he was, Asian. What's wrong with saying that an Asian guy smashed up his car? What if he had said a French guy - or Chinese, or Arab? If he had have just said - some guy - would you have presumed he was White. What's your point Sam, in fact what's mine?
Old 22 May 2001, 03:39 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Cheers fullonloon, whats that got to do with anything??????????????

Are you implying i'm a racist?????????/

[This message has been edited by cryptwalk (edited 23 May 2001).]
Old 22 May 2001, 05:14 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK

Thank you to all who pointed this thread out to me.

Can anyone who has posted anything of a racial nature, please edit their posts.

I genuinely do not think that cryptwalk meant the use of the word "asian" to be derogatory, but it has obviously offended some people as it could definitely be read that way.

Before this turns into something it is not, please edit your posts (all).

Many thanks for your support.

Regards

Simon