Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Meanwhile in Trumpton

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2018, 08:40 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Meanwhile in Trumpton

To manys guns in USA killing our kids in our schools.

SO LETS ARM THE TEACHERS WITH GUNS.

The worlds gone mad.........
Old 22 February 2018, 09:07 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Too many knives in London should care more about what’s happening on your own door step
Old 22 February 2018, 11:50 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Too many knives in London should care more about what’s happening on your own door step

Silly me what i thinking, Sorry!!
Old 22 February 2018, 12:29 PM
Reinhold
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ray54
To manys guns in USA killing our kids in our schools.

SO LETS ARM THE TEACHERS WITH GUNS.

The worlds gone mad.........

Perhaps they should arm all the children too?
Old 22 February 2018, 12:47 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Guns don’t kill people “Rappers “ do
Seen it on a documentary
On BBC 2

On the trump note , yea that’ll work ,

Old 22 February 2018, 01:04 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
Guns don’t kill people “Rappers “ do
Seen it on a documentary
On BBC 2

On the trump note , yea that’ll work ,

It's impressive what Toys-R-Us are selling in the USA now, very educational!
Old 22 February 2018, 01:36 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Meanwhile in Camden
Old 22 February 2018, 06:03 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Meanwhile in Camden

Don,t worry Rag i,m on it.......................

voted best pie shop !!
Old 22 February 2018, 10:34 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

NRA head...quote.

"To stop a bad guy with a gun it takes a good guy with a gun".

I seriously give up on the morons.

Why not give them all guns from birth end of.
Old 23 February 2018, 08:37 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Always makes me laugh watching Brits commenting on American culture when they have no idea about it.

Many teachers already have conceal carry permits.

A huge amount of teachers have signed up for training to be armed in the wake of this.

The vast majority of Americans fully support the second amendment.

You can't ban something if there's already too many of them can you? (300 million firearms)
Old 24 February 2018, 06:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes , but this is imposing the duty upon them as part of their contract

disgusting
Old 24 February 2018, 06:11 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Yes , but this is imposing the duty upon them as part of their contract

disgusting
Nobody is proposing forcing teachers to have guns? Just giving them the option under federal law. Many teachers already conceal carry in the states that allow them anyway...
Old 24 February 2018, 06:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

This is what trump is proposing , afaik
Old 24 February 2018, 06:51 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
This is what trump is proposing , afaik
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/24/armed-teachers-texas-trump-362397

Here you go. They want to emulate the Texan model
Old 24 February 2018, 08:10 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotFromSomerset
Always makes me laugh watching Brits commenting on American culture when they have no idea about it.

Many teachers already have conceal carry permits. wake of this.

A huge amount of teachers have signed up for training to be armed in the

The vast majority of Americans fully support the second amendment.

You can't ban something if there's already too many of them can you? (300 million firearms)

A huge amount of teachers are signing up/training to carry guns.

Why stop there, give the kids guns too, properly trained of coarse lets be sensible here we don,t want any accidents.

YES i,m being obnoxious

Have i any idea of the american culture? may-be not, you could be right there.

I just can,t see ASKING PEOPLE TO CARRY more guns is going to solve anything, where do you stop.

Last edited by ray54; 25 February 2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: shot my self in the foot......
Old 24 February 2018, 08:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Secret flight marshal ...so not every teacher lol - just those picked by somebody

Yanks are all in an impossible situation , glad dont live there
Old 24 February 2018, 10:16 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

"you have the right to bear arms, or the right to arm bears, whatever the hell you wanna do" Robin Williams.
Old 25 February 2018, 06:25 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ray54
A huge amount of teachers are signing up/training to carry guns.

Why stop there, give the kids guns too, properly trained of coarse lets be sensible here we don,t want any accidents.

YES i,m being obnoxious

Have i any idea of the american culture? may-be not, you could be right there.

I just can,t see issuing out more guns is going to solve anything, where do you stop.
They actually used to have law enforcement come in to classrooms with firearms and teach gun safety years ago but we live in far too much of a PC world for that now.

Its not issuing guns, nobody is handing them out haha. Every American has the right to bear arms. Second amendment. Can't be changed.

The issue is not the guns it's the culture. When i lived there People I knew that were much older used to tell me they would take their shotguns to school and leave in their trucks when they were teenagers to hunt after school. No shootings then.

Imo the more dangerous issue is the fact all these young school shooters are on psychotropic drugs, almost every single one of them including the last. America had a prescription drug problem far worse than its gun problem
Old 25 February 2018, 07:43 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Meanwhile in Camden
Gun deaths in the US in *2018* (end of February at time of writing, so only TWO months in) - 2192. After two months. TWO THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO. 34 mass shootings *IN TWO MONTHS* so far.

Data here: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ (Charity set up after Sandy Hook to track gun violence). Also, note that you can click through these incidents in the incident page and see the local news reports that covered them.

Here's another interesting article:
http://www.theweek.co.uk/91679/us-gu...ing-statistics

Of the 49 months since January 2014, only six have passed without at least one instance of gun violence in a US school.

How does that compare to the UK? The latest figures I've managed to find are for 2016, where 601 counts of homicide were reported: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39729601

Now, the US is a much bigger country - let's scale by population:

The US has 326 million (http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...us-population/).
The UK has 66.5 million (http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...uk-population/).

I.e. the US has 326/66.5 = 4.9 times as many people.

According to http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls, for 2016, excluding suicides, there were 15095 deaths by guns alone.

Remember, the 15095 figure includes ONLY gun deaths, not things like killing with a vehicle, other kinds of violence etc etc that the UK figure includes.

UK_scaled = 601 * 4.9 = 2944.

So, even scaled by population, it's clear that there's a big problem with regards to homicides in the US compared to the UK.

Trying to excuse mass shootings by what happens with a knife in Camden is either intentionally misleading, or stupid.
Old 25 February 2018, 07:45 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Every American has the right to bear arms. Second amendment. Can't be changed.
Of course it can be changed. It was already amended at least twice - that's how the "second amendment" came into existence.

In fact, the constitution has been amended 27 times: https://www.billofrightsinstitute.or...al-amendments/
Old 25 February 2018, 09:27 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Rather live in America than England
Old 25 February 2018, 09:50 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Now thats just made my fvckin DAY................
Old 25 February 2018, 11:24 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What greatly amuses me (well, if it weren't so tragic), is the so-called 'timeless legend', "Land Of The 'Free'"

If ever there was a dictionary definition for (an ironic) oxymoron........

Last edited by joz8968; 25 February 2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:30 PM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Gun deaths in the US in *2018* (end of February at time of writing, so only TWO months in) - 2192. After two months. TWO THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO. 34 mass shootings *IN TWO MONTHS* so far.

Data here: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ (Charity set up after Sandy Hook to track gun violence). Also, note that you can click through these incidents in the incident page and see the local news reports that covered them.

Here's another interesting article:
http://www.theweek.co.uk/91679/us-gu...ing-statistics

How does that compare to the UK? The latest figures I've managed to find are for 2016, where 601 counts of homicide were reported: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39729601

Now, the US is a much bigger country - let's scale by population:

The US has 326 million (http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...us-population/).
The UK has 66.5 million (http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...uk-population/).

I.e. the US has 326/66.5 = 4.9 times as many people.

According to http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls, for 2016, excluding suicides, there were 15095 deaths by guns alone.

Remember, the 15095 figure includes ONLY gun deaths, not things like killing with a vehicle, other kinds of violence etc etc that the UK figure includes.

UK_scaled = 601 * 4.9 = 2944.

So, even scaled by population, it's clear that there's a big problem with regards to homicides in the US compared to the UK.

Trying to excuse mass shootings by what happens with a knife in Camden is either intentionally misleading, or stupid.
Can't argue with the stats and I agree there is a homicide problem in America.
I just find the notion of making guns illegal or harder to obtain will make a difference. America has a massive issue with heroin abuse killing thousands every year we should make that illegal... Oh wait
Like violent criminals are gonna hand their unregistered rifles over when the law changes...
There is a massive crime problem in America and in a nation of 300 million weapons I'd feel safer having one tucked under my pillow too.
Old 26 February 2018, 01:47 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

How does lots easy access to guns make drugs problem , better !?
Old 26 February 2018, 01:51 AM
NotFromSomerset
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
How does lots easy access to guns make drugs problem , better !?
Sorry maybe I was unclear. I was using drugs as an example of making something illegal doesn't mean people won't use it
Old 26 February 2018, 09:58 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd much rather you did too.
Old 26 February 2018, 11:23 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

I just find the notion of making guns illegal or harder to obtain will make a difference. America has a massive issue with heroin abuse killing thousands every year we should make that illegal... Oh wait
Like violent criminals are gonna hand their unregistered rifles over when the law changes...
There is a massive crime problem in America and in a nation of 300 million weapons I'd feel safer having one tucked under my pillow too.

Last sentence kind of says it all for me.....thats how far down the shltter its gone.

The genie well & truly out .
Old 26 February 2018, 06:12 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As has been stated, the constitution can be amended, hence the 2nd AMENDMENT

The problem is that the 2nd Amendment specifically says 'well regulated' in reference to the people bearing arms. Currently it is not well regulated, that is the heart of the problem and using a solution that does not interfere with but simply more closely follows the constitution is the best way to go here - you're right, banning guns is not necessarily the way to go here.

Of course making guns harder to obtain would make a difference. I cannot fathom your logic behind that statement.
Saying that people still die of heroin overdoses even though it is illegal is a plain bizarre thought process and argument - legalizing heroin and giving everyone badly regulated access to heroin would not make that better, would it? So why would more guns make gun deaths go down.
People still steal but there are laws against theft, should we just make it legal to steal and then see what happens?? There will always be people who break the law, why should we make it easier for them?

Most mass shootings are by people who were previously seen as law abiding, by those who allow them to have access to firearms of the sort that they carried out their crimes with - however, many if not all of them had previous for family domestic abuse and violence and would have not passed many of the proposed restrictions or checks that would limit gun ownership by those who are more likely to commit gun related offenses.

Also, this is NOT a medication issue, seriously, people jump on this 'big pharma' conspiracy so often. The issues a lot of the time is that these people were not mentally ill but were mentally broken, way worse - anti-social behavior disorders get to a point of mismanagement to where psychopathy and sociopath tenancies and develop = someone who won't think twice about shooting up a school and murdering 6 year old children, for example.

Treating people requires that they have some sort of empathy and other characteristics and psychiatric traits that are not present in the sociopath or psychopath, not treatable but we can stop them getting access to high power assault rifles. There is a problem in some cases where meds are indeed incorrectly given out, but this speaks to a whole other issue in healthcare - limiting those who can get their hands on what are basically civilian weapons of mass destruction is the point and more easily resolved in the short term.

You wishing to have a gun under your pillow unfortunately says more about you and the mindset of many people than it does about anything else. It's your right to do that with a gun in many states and here in Texas we can strut around with whatever we like firearms-wise, with the right licenses but that doesn't make it a great thing! I quite like the idea of being able to 'flip the bird' at someone who cuts me up in traffic and not get shot for it....

Arming teachers? I would be dead if teachers had been armed when I was at school but seriously, it should not be the norm that teachers have to contemplate whether or not they will have to gun down a student that day, as they strap a gun to their chest. It's not a majority of teachers in Texas who have CCL's and then actively carry in class.

And knives versus guns? That's just dumb - people saying that bad people will find a way to hurt or kill people? True but let's not make it any easier - equating the ability to get a knife and stab and kill 17 people as easily as you can shoot them with an AR15??
Seriously, have you tried playing Call of Duty and only using a knife for the whole game?? Unless you are some kind of games equivalent of a ninja master special forces terminator, that's very difficult and that would be waaaaay easier than Joe Bloggs doing it in real life!

Better regulation of firearms, changing of peoples standard thought processes, better treatment of those exhibiting certain behaviors and better regulation of how medications are issued, as well as changes in politicians behaviors and being driven by money and not good policy, plsu a bunch of other stuff I have missed are all things that need to be reviewed/changed - the problem is that most will take such monumental change and effort, the 'easiest' and 'fastest' of these is changing legislation and regulatory parameters around gun ownership, but keeping it in line with constitutional rights to bear arms - difficult but not impossible.

All IMHO, of course
Old 26 February 2018, 06:34 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
I'd much rather you did too.
Lived in Cheshire for 8 years a horrible place full or ignorant angry hateful *****
Meanwhile in Leicester

Quick Reply: Meanwhile in Trumpton