ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Mappers and the whole experience

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2017, 09:11 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Mappers and the whole experience

I tought it was about time we get a proper discussion going in here about mapping the whole experience for you , what was it like? Did you get the results you were expecting ? Any issues and how they were identified etc
I feel this is very important some of you read my comments ref my map experiences with Bob Rawle

I will start
Car mapped by Bob Rawle on ecutek
Car returned needed new front lambda
Car still not right after fitting new sensor
Car returned for second map charged again
Car stuttering overfueling badly hardly starting bucking and cel lifting up like a Xmas tree
Inspected a 3rd time told front lambda isn’t working
Bob Rawle no intention of resolving these issues as previously stated in the other thread

The more feedback we get on here the better information will be available for forum
Members when choosing a mapper of choice
Let’s discuss
Old 29 October 2017, 09:23 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
I tought it was about time we get a proper discussion going in here about mapping the whole experience for you , what was it like? Did you get the results you were expecting ? Any issues and how they were identified etc
I feel this is very important some of you read my comments ref my map experiences with Bob Rawle

I will start
Car stuttering overfueling badly hardly starting bucking and cel lifting up like a Xmas tree
Bob Rawle no intention of resolving these issues as previously stated in the other thread

The more feedback we get on here the better information will be available for forum
Members when choosing a mapper of choice
Let’s discuss
I thought Bob had posted in the other threads you spoke about this,
Andrew Carr doesn't even have the ***** to do that, he just ignores you, so you got more help from Bob than I ever got from Andrew Carr,

Jgm sorted a fresh map, and the car has been fine for around 7 years now,
I still have Andrews map on a ecu I won't repeat what a real mapper said about the logs of Andrew skills . . .
Give it 5 minutes and some else will be along who thinks Andrew is the man, after my experiences of his customer services I could never,ever recommend him, but some do,

So this thread won't do **** in the grand scheme to help others,
but does look like your haven't got your way with Bob, so are starting another post about it.
IMHO
Old 29 October 2017, 09:32 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

A mapper offers the service of mapping the car. It's not their job or their problem if the car has faults. Turn up with a perfectly working car and you'll get a great map from the top guys.

If the car is broken - get someone who fixes car to sort it, not a mapper.
Old 29 October 2017, 09:45 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
I thought Bob had posted in the other threads you spoke about this,
Andrew Carr doesn't even have the ***** to do that, he just ignores you, so you got more help from Bob than I ever got from Andrew Carr,

Jgm sorted a fresh map, and the car has been fine for around 7 years now,
I still have Andrews map on a ecu I won't repeat what a real mapper said about the logs of Andrew skills . . .
Give it 5 minutes and some else will be along who thinks Andrew is the man, after my experiences of his customer services I could never,ever recommend him, but some do,

So this thread won't do **** in the grand scheme to help others,
but does look like your haven't got your way with Bob, so are starting another post about it.
IMHO

Not at all a genuine discussion about mapping and the whole experience is long overdue on here
The response I got from Bob Rawle didn’t surprise me I had cars mapped years ago by Clive seadon at rc developments on an evo car hasn’t missed a beat in 8 years
It’s a taboo Subject on here people are afraid to talk about why is that?
Old 29 October 2017, 09:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rossyboy
A mapper offers the service of mapping the car. It's not their job or their problem if the car has faults. Turn up with a perfectly working car and you'll get a great map from the top guys.

If the car is broken - get someone who fixes car to sort it, not a mapper.

Personally I would seek the services of a company that does repairs and mapping. Saves the blame tennis going between mapper and mechanic.

Had this a while ago with a Golf R fitted with a sports cat throwing emissions related CELs. Mapper kept blaming oxygen sensors. No it wasn't; the sports cat was causing a incorrect sensor aging values to be logged (VAGs monitor sensor aging based on their response in certain conditions, if the cat isn't original spec, then this doesn't work properly and it gets its knickers in a twist -even with a spacer fitted). Better mapper sorted it, but still cost the customer a few hundred quid needlessly replacing sensors and multiple trips between garage and mapper; If everything was done in house the car would have been fixed a lot quicker.

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 October 2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 29 October 2017, 10:03 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

My car was at a company that does the repairs and bob maps there every six weeks
The car was then back there a 2nd time
And a third time for 8weeks
And given back to me exactly the same way
Old 29 October 2017, 10:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's not really in-house if they are subbing out for the mapper though is it?

Either way, the garage should have not let you have the car back if it was running badly (unless you were pushing for a deadline...and if Bob only turns up once every six weeks that's a hell of a wait).

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 October 2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 29 October 2017, 10:29 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Mapping 20 cars in two days up the road isnt exactly the best way to get the best out of a car it’s a revenue generating excercise a lot of them are guilty of it
Old 29 October 2017, 10:38 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ I get you have had a bad experience, but can you prove the above claim?
Old 29 October 2017, 10:41 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Never had a problem with the mappers I have used.

As Ali pointed out the other thread pretty much closed the loop, no pun intend. But this thread comes over as a finger pointing exercise.
Old 29 October 2017, 10:43 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The OP's car obviously has a problem.

However, nobody has been able to link the problem to the remap and have gone on to look at all the 'normal' things that cause the quoted problems.

Either.
All of those people are in collusion as the OP has stated.
Or,
There's something wrong with the OP's car that is roving very hard to pinpoint.
Old 29 October 2017, 10:45 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

That is best to map on the road that map on the rollers and fine tune on the road?
I’d rather a day spend on my car that an hour with cars being rushed in and out
A lot of mappers are mapping all over Europe doin a lot of cars in a very short period of time
20 cars plus in two days is what I was told was mapped each time my car went up north
Old 29 October 2017, 10:47 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

I have had problems I few I’m not alone
My next step is a new mapper/garage but we’re do I take it? Hence this thread
Let’s ahare some positive experiences aswell
Old 29 October 2017, 10:52 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only ever used Andy Forest and never had a problem, nice guy and very helpful and I've always made sure cars been checked over and everything's been fitted right and running well before mapping
Old 29 October 2017, 11:03 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mapping 20 cars in two days up the road isnt exactly the best way to get the best out of a car it’s a revenue generating excercise a lot of them are guilty of it
but if you turn that around and for arguments sake the mapper says my limit is 5 cars a day, you then have 10 disappointed guy's that haven't had their cars mapped. They wont all be full maps, just tweaks for mods done in most cases. It's demand that pushes this, I doubt the best known mappers need to go around touting for business.
Trev
Old 29 October 2017, 11:04 AM
AP3491
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably the last person on here to have his vehicle mapped by bob, it was very recent indeed, bob thoroughly checked over my vehicle and offered some sound advice about going forward, we mapped my car and it blew off an intercooler hose towards the end of the map on one of the power runs, bob suggested we take the car back to his house where he took it upon himself to fix the problem, I also forgot to bring my 3 port boost solenoid, bob suggested I get my hoses secured and grab the solenoid and return Monday ( tomorrow ), the car has driven like a dream since, very impressed with bob as a person and a mapper, hope you get your issues resolved raggy.
Old 29 October 2017, 12:22 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scotty boy 80
Only ever used Andy Forest and never had a problem, nice guy and very helpful
Yep, same here.
Took around an hour from start to finish
Old 29 October 2017, 01:17 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Problem with maps is most folk are happy as long as it doesnt explode

Finding someone interested enough and doesnt just leave you with " that will do "

Who actually checks there car at another dyno ?

Or datalogs to see what the cars doing ?

Most are happy with a fart out the exhaust and a little more push on acceleration.

Romraider forums are alot more helpful as far as tuning or helping with map issues.

Shame its not the older 16 bit ecu like mine could just open the map up and see whats been done.
Old 29 October 2017, 01:19 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Andy forrest has mapped my last 4 never had a issue
Old 29 October 2017, 01:26 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
The OP's car obviously has a problem.

However, nobody has been able to link the problem to the remap and have gone on to look at all the 'normal' things that cause the quoted problems.

Either.
All of those people are in collusion as the OP has stated.
Or,
There's something wrong with the OP's car that is roving very hard to pinpoint.
But the car worked fine before map.

No wonder OP is pi5sed.

The eml he gets is for rich running right after new map i would be checking that 1st too.

Especially if car was fine before the remap

Cant be linked to map as only person able to check that is not interested it seams.

Pretty sure if he had his own rom and posted it up it could easily be put to bed.

But the excuse you get is oooo sumone will steal my epic mapping skills and flash onto another car stealing my skills.

Tbh the map lock is just as bad for hiding poor efforts.

If its such a custom map as they should be it wouldnt work well on another car anyhow.
Old 29 October 2017, 01:38 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Can you not datalog an ecutek?
Looking at a map will not always show a problem,datalogging will.
A look at my 'pro' map didn't really flag anything up but when I plugged it in for a run it was detting it's **** off.
Old 29 October 2017, 01:46 PM
Bob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used 3 mappers all of which were in house

Richard Bulmer at tractive did a map after fitting clutch, headers and downpipe and never had a problem.

Scoobyclinic fitted an S42 and Pat mapped the car, injectors maxed at 385bhp so changed in house for 850's, map checked and 400+ achieved, again no problems.

Map checked at Engine tuner and tweaked for more mid range torque, took 3 hours just tweaking, again no problems.

I can honestly say I have no problems using these to map the car, good knowledge, problems identified quickly, fixed quickly, advantage of it all being in house.
Old 29 October 2017, 02:12 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

I have had bob replying on the last thread but it was ridicule
If we could see the data we could see were we need to go with the car
Old 29 October 2017, 02:18 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Previous sti bug mapped by Andrew Carr

1st attempt : he leaves the vacuum pipe off the boost solenoid and maps it car starts cutting out hard opened bonnet only to find the pipe dangling

2nd attempt : frack knows what he did there as car never drove right hitting boost cut again !!!!

3rd attempt : I buy another map sensor get it done again!!! WOW it actually drives as it should Thankyou Andrew I'm so gratefull

All that was over a three year period
Blobeye jdm widetrack mapped by Andrew Carr

Notice it hitting boost too quick so after buying tried ringing and texting him as he mapped it firstly didn't want a freebee ready to pay but no response for over 6months even after numerous texts and messages I get one text saying "we'll sort" and nothing after that!!

AND THEN

Went to ADE tuning recommended by cams performance in Darwen for a tweek and pops and bangs

What a superb result he tweeked and and checked everything over car and it's ran perfect ever since
I now have a proper based mapper who I can actually reach and I have total confidence he knows what he's doing

Last edited by ZANY; 29 October 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 29 October 2017, 02:28 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

I have had bob replying on the last thread but it was ridicule
If we could see the data we could see were we need to go with the car
You should still be able to datalog i thought and see what each sensors reading

Like if its running silly rich on idle etc.
Old 29 October 2017, 02:51 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd definitely only consider an onsite garage/mapper, especially if you are having parts fitted prior to the map. Eg: Enginetune, Scoobyclinic, TDR etc. That way there is no dance around whether the map is at fault or the parts fitment and should have people on hand resolve/identify mechanical issues there and then.

With regards to the OP, it's possible that the map is at fault if it drove fine prior but it's equally possible that the increased performance post map has caused parts to fail. We don't have enough data to say to for certain what the fault is.

Can the OP not find someone near by with a stock ECU and swap it over, to see if all issues disappear and it runs fine again?
Old 29 October 2017, 03:02 PM
Murray Motorsport NI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary
You have stated

My car was at a company that does the repairs and bob maps there every six weeks
The car was then back there a 2nd time
And a third time for 8weeks
And given back to me exactly the same way.

Bob Rawle no intention of resolving these issues as previously stated in the other thread.

Here are the facts that you seem to have left out which play a significant part in the story ;

Your own mechanic prepared the car for remapping i.e New Owens turbo / front mount fitting /pipework/ plugs
Vehicle arrived on morning of remapping where we fitted uprated Injectors/map sensor/ pump/ supplied by yourself .You also had a turbo pipe which we couldn't fit due to the time involved .
On inspection of vehicle you were advised to remove the aftermarket dump valve which was fitted to the intercooler pipework as they can cause running issues especially when running your target 450bhp .
Car was checked over and remapped on the road and drove perfectly fine and made excellent power around 450bhp from memory. A sensor issue appeared at the end of session which you were informed of but at the time wasn't affecting drivability and of which you were informed of.
In fact everything mustn't have been too bad on the car when you messaged 3 weeks later

23/07/2016 00:17

Hi davey what did the legacy make piety wise after I left the lad said he look me up on Facebook but I not heard dying find out how he went
Power

23/07/2016 10:40

David
Hi Gary. Legacy done 310 in 95 octane fuel. Nice car.
Brilliant
I was thinking about a build in the winter I'm undecided on 2.1 or 2.35 what you reckon davey circa 550 bhp
David
Yes be excellent. We could do either for you . 2.1 is cheaper . 2.35 is extra torque n bhp

20/08/2016 21:21

Hi davey a friend of mine has a mate with evo 10 sst 355 bhp wants a cut off the Subaru bit of friendly blast up the road what do you recon?
Tommorrow at 3pm

A week after this you contacted me reporting a Jutter that had come into the car

Partial throttle between 2.5 k and 3k the car stutters once above 3k it's perfect
Does it in every gear
Replaced the plugs driving fine at the moment Need our miles on it to see if the issue is rectified or if the new plugs are masking it will let you know in few days I don't do many miles on it that's the prob lol 1550 miles in a year

06/10/2016 20:25

Hi davey took the car out for a 40 mile drive the hestitation is slight but apparent on first 20 miles getting worse in 6 th gear building the boost 3/4 throttle the car started shaking bucking I eased off and all the engine check lights are on again The mechanic fitted my plugs ilfr7h No boost leaks etc My car was 100 percent prior to the map My only conclusion is the map Did the lambda fail earlier and bob continued with the map! Who knows I need to come back up davey bob hasn't replied to my email I want to come the first day he's over and respectfully request if I arrive early he does my car first dut to distance I'm travelling I also want to drive my own car when he's remapping it I'll know then at the end of the session if it's right I have paid for new plugs and mechanic to fit them it's a couple hundred pound to travel up from cork And a day off work I don't have anymore money for bob the car has never been right after mapping You might confirm this is ok please davey so I can book time off work Thanks Gary

11/10/2016 20:29

David
He says no prob ha can look at it no charge from him. Would you mind if you covered abit of his travel just to allow a space for you and leave it fair for everyone else
Perfect I'll see you next week I'll be up first thing
David
Sound job

19/10/2016 18:08

Hi davey car is driving really well still. Ow and again get the stutter going to remove the dump valve and blank it off and do away completely the hks intercooler piping on that side and get custom pipes made phone call already hope bring car in next week and have it done

Car came in the 2nd time and a smoke test proved the intercooler pipework leaking heavily at the turbo . Pipework was a terrible fit and had 2 silicone joints poorly sealing . Advised again to replace this pipework .
Bob went through the map and car was again driving fine . You test drove the car before taking it away and confirmed no issue.May I add that you had your mechanic Rolly with you on both mapping occasions .

Third time the car came in for 8 weeks actually was partially our fault on it being there so long. My father was critically ill and we unfortunately lost him in June.
The reason the car came this time was

21 JANUARY 11:41

Hi Davey hope al is well I ordered some ohlins coilovers for the car and lash of whiteline stuff arb 22mm front and rear links etc etc Would you know we're I would get the suspension geometry setting for fast road set up from? Thanks
Some set up you have above well worth trip up half the Impreza mapped in Ireland are done through u have to be
Rolly is a great friend of mine he's doing mechanics work and local body shop rally builder is doin. Alignment and getting any marks chips on car done as well ready for road for summer it's been locked away since end October for winter

11 MARCH 17:03

Out of hibernation for more mods lol
The drive home was nice
David
Nice to get back in the seat ofyer a while to remember how quick it is
Came home wife said u ok
I said ya y
Ur hands are shaking
David
Class
I ya I was doing 130 up the road lol
My fitter is ****ing around with car siad him sat there 2 weeks of untouched I'm taking car to you Sunday morning Ohlins whiteline bits etc how would you feel if I arrived on up this weekend my brother siad he follow me up
Not going too bad for such shabby work all around . Over the 8 weeks we fitted every part available from whiteline to your car and Ohlins suspension .We also made you an intercooler pipe to solve the ill fitting leaking pipes.
On Bobs next visit he kindly plugged in to investigate a cold starting issue / he concluded there was an issue with the sensor/ wiring/ or the ecu could be damaged if an incorrect sensor had been fitted . You were informed of this and unfortunately we hadn't a sensor in stock to suit your vehicle ,nor where there any available in the Uk .
You collected the vehicle and were taking it to your mechanic to check it out and you were sourcing the sensor .

You fitted a sensor and were still having issues.
You emailed Bob and he gave you a test Plan .

Your mechanic has been working at it and can't find the issue / and then you demanded myself and Bob travel Cork to sort your car out which for us is impossible to do.
We offered to check to car out FOC at our yard when Bob is here this coming week which you refused .
You then demanded a full refund .

We won't comment any further on threads like this but wish you all the best on finding the issue .
Old 29 October 2017, 03:07 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I'd definitely only consider an onsite garage/mapper, especially if you are having parts fitted prior to the map. Eg: Enginetune, Scoobyclinic, TDR etc. That way there is no dance around whether the map is at fault or the parts fitment and should have people on hand resolve/identify mechanical issues there and then.

With regards to the OP, it's possible that the map is at fault if it drove fine prior but it's equally possible that the increased performance post map has caused parts to fail. We don't have enough data to say to for certain what the fault is.

Can the OP not find someone near by with a stock ECU and swap it over, to see if all issues disappear and it runs fine again?
Its not a stock car so stock ecu would be no use.

I get the performance can be the straw that broke the back.

But to kill 2 brand new oem sensors with same rich running code is not just the usual humped sensor.

Plus the responce he got on other thread was just mapper washing his hands of it.

1st thing is log what stock AF sensor is reading on idle. Better yet fit a wideband of ur own
Old 29 October 2017, 03:07 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I don’t know of anyone with a Jdm hatch ecu I could borrow
I agree with above a garage with in house mapper I think the clinic will be my next port of call in the new year

Last edited by RAGGY DOO; 29 October 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 29 October 2017, 03:11 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Its not a stock car so stock ecu would be no use.

I get the performance can be the straw that broke the back.

But to kill 2 brand new oem sensors with same rich running code is not just the usual humped sensor.

Plus the responce he got on other thread was just mapper washing his hands of it.

1st thing is log what stock AF sensor is reading on idle. Better yet fit a wideband of ur own
Thanks for the input mate definitely somethings I can go on I will relay the information to my mechanic I’m hoping we can get the car in a fit state to drive it to the clinic but I fear it may be a trailer job on the boat with significant extra outlaw
Yes it does appear mr Rawle has no interest in this again I noticed he was very nice and welcoming the first map 550 pound
But didn’t look in my direction and looked annoyed when I went back the second time

Last edited by RAGGY DOO; 29 October 2017 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Mappers and the whole experience