Sponsored by:

Classic or Newage with 2.1/GT30

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2017, 02:47 AM
123Max
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic or Newage with 2.1/GT30

Looking to do another build. 2.1/GT30 etc. Done it before in a Impreza Classic Type RA and was amazing!

Choices are:
Classic Type R
Blobeye or Hawkeye

Not really clued up about newages. I just want a good base car. Was thinking a newage Spec C. Would like it to have DCCD.

Thanks.
Old 13 June 2017, 09:27 AM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

friend of mine has a Type R with 6 speed dccd and 2.1 with similar turbo. It has the same power as my 2.1 blobeye but feels way more savage. You can feel the weight difference from classic to newage thats for sure!
Old 13 June 2017, 06:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Type r with 6 speed dccd and all the bells you just can't beat for making your heart pump.
Old 13 June 2017, 09:42 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Type r with 6 speed dccd and all the bells you just can't beat for making your heart pump.
Totally agree. Was fortunate enough to drive a 440bhp Type R earlier in the summer at Donnington. After 4 laps I handed it back over to my mate. A phrase went through my head that i've heard in the past that is...... If your car doesnt scare you a little bit, its not fast enough. I think I found my scare point lol.

Have to admire the engineering involved in making that sort of power useable in a classic. Andy runs AP brakes front/rear and some fancy dccd controller thing that I daren't touch, syvecs ecu, Finch 2.1 and an MD321T on meth injection. Not sure exactly on the ins and outs of it but its well mannered on the road, sensational on the track.

440bhp in a 6 speed type r is fast enough, well it is for an old duffer like me I'll stick with my 400 pony blob sti and cup holders
Old 13 June 2017, 09:56 PM
JamieJerkovic
Scooby Regular

I like the sound of that, currently building my Type r 2.1 stroker sc46 billet should make 450/460. Seems enough to scare then! Haha
Old 13 June 2017, 10:03 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rickybobby
Totally agree. Was fortunate enough to drive a 440bhp Type R earlier in the summer at Donnington. After 4 laps I handed it back over to my mate. A phrase went through my head that i've heard in the past that is...... If your car doesnt scare you a little bit, its not fast enough. I think I found my scare point lol.

Have to admire the engineering involved in making that sort of power useable in a classic. Andy runs AP brakes front/rear and some fancy dccd controller thing that I daren't touch, syvecs ecu, Finch 2.1 and an MD321T on meth injection. Not sure exactly on the ins and outs of it but its well mannered on the road, sensational on the track.

440bhp in a 6 speed type r is fast enough, well it is for an old duffer like me I'll stick with my 400 pony blob sti and cup holders
Agree, I can driv my Audi daily at same speed and I'm falling asleep, in the type r it certainly wakes you up lol.
400-450 in a classic is ample power and makes a good point to point car.
I was going to up the power when I get new engine, but I'm sticking with the sc42 as that was so drivable and angry in how the power came in.
Old 13 June 2017, 10:17 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had the chance to drive a high powered newage but do have the experience of a 500bhp classic it's a lovely thing lol very well mannered if you want it to be but also an animal if you want. Can be a handful in the wet but great in the dry (R888's ) great on the track if that's your thing too. Surprised many an expensive "sports" car on the road

Trending Topics

Old 14 June 2017, 08:17 PM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

This is what I'm doing at the min with a GTX3076R gen 2. Can't wait to get it up and running.
Old 15 June 2017, 10:43 AM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

If you was to base it on a Spec C then you already have the 6 speed dccd box nice strong diff etc, Also will have Brembo`s so you may get away with upgrading the disc and pads and keep the Brembo`s where as a classic would need the box brakes also.

Suspension also you may just be able to live with the Spec C set up as they are pretty good out the box.

Body wise the car would require minimal work if any, where as classics to have issues due to age etc.

It all comes down to how far you want to go with the build, A newage hawk etc still look nice where as a classic aint appealing to every one, as much of a raw drivers car it maybe.

looking at classic prices these days people seem to think they made out of gold and some are simply **** takers with the prices and that`s coming from some one who has owned several classics last one having been A 2.1/GT30 TypeR

Best of luck with what ever route you choose mate
Old 15 June 2017, 01:08 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

450 in any Impreza as a road car is more than enough
Old 16 June 2017, 01:58 AM
123Max
Scooby Regular

I used to have a GC8 Type RA / 550hp.

Dosnt even compare to my GTR R35.