Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ed china leaving wheeler dealers

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2017, 10:44 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ed china leaving wheeler dealers

ed is leaving the show. the american company who now produce the show want to cut out a lot of his segments which as far as im concerened were the best bits of the show. wont be the same without him.
Old 23 March 2017, 11:20 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Quite agree, prefer to see him than Mike any day
Old 24 March 2017, 03:09 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to like WDs but Mike Brewer is cringy. I think they want to turn into something like Car SOS which was watchable just boring and not informative.
Old 24 March 2017, 07:49 AM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

What a shame, the workshop fixes are what made it different and worth watching. Can you imagine trying to buy a car from Mike, everyone always looks really awkward.

Last edited by 8ulldog; 24 March 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 24 March 2017, 08:06 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, I always found his section far more interesting than Mike Brewer's.
Old 24 March 2017, 10:24 AM
DTB
Scooby Regular

It'll be rubbish without Ed. He's good on camera, good at explaining things and was normal enough to almost counter the incredible annoyance that is Mike Brewer, who probably knows a lot about cars but is just awful on telly.

A show just with Ed fixing things would be great but there maybe isn't a big enough following for that sort of thing to get the backing. Also, a few more seized parts & sheared bolts would make it a bit more real-world.
Old 24 March 2017, 10:28 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

dont blame him, eds probably ****ed, doing all that work for no profit, he looks thin with all the rice hes eating
Old 24 March 2017, 11:27 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

real shame, but i reckon if i was in his position i would do the same!

no interest in watching the show without Ed
Old 24 March 2017, 11:28 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DTB
Also, a few more seized parts & sheared bolts would make it a bit more real-world.
If it was like my real world experience it'd be 20 minutes of him swearing at seized bolt followed by a tantrum when it shears off.
Old 24 March 2017, 11:52 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DTB
It'll be rubbish without Ed. He's good on camera, good at explaining things and was normal enough to almost counter the incredible annoyance that is Mike Brewer, who probably knows a lot about cars but is just awful on telly.

A show just with Ed fixing things would be great but there maybe isn't a big enough following for that sort of thing to get the backing. Also, a few more seized parts & sheared bolts would make it a bit more real-world.

Make no mistake, I've met Mike, he's a bit of a **** and he knows **** all about cars truth be told!

Ed made the show IMO. It's a shame. Ant is a very likeable guy and has a great reputation in the industry and a booming business already. I'm amazed he's lowering himself to Wheeler Dealers.
Old 24 March 2017, 11:53 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

They missed a trick. Apparently Leepu is out of work currently!
Old 24 March 2017, 11:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
If it was like my real world experience it'd be 20 minutes of him swearing at seized bolt followed by a tantrum when it shears off.
Yep.

It used to annoy me that he never, ever had a bolt seize, shear off etc. Everything came away so easily. And new parts always fitted, they were never for a Friday car when the one in front of him was a Monday car.

But the bit that used to make me cringe was Brewer's insistance on playing the cheeky mockney trader, making money, but refusing to take into account the work done, even the travelling for parts etc.

Yet when taken to task, he whined, "The show isn't really about the money".
So why is there so much ABOUT the money then?
Old 24 March 2017, 12:35 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 8ulldog
What a shame, the workshop fixes are what made it different and worth watching. Can you imagine trying to buy a car from Mike, everyone always looks really awkward.
Most of them weren't actually buying the car from him though, that was just a bit for TV. All the deals were done before hand.

Originally Posted by alcazar
I don't think it really was though, the bulk of the work they did could be done by any half competant DIY mechanic. The money was just a breakdown of rough costs for reference.
Old 24 March 2017, 01:03 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

A lot of the cars were fake sold to production members just for the show. Quite a few ended up on Eds driveway or being scrapped!
Old 24 March 2017, 01:05 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

I really hated that Mike guy, annoying as F*** Edd defo made the show what it is. I bet he could easily do Mike's job buying/ selling cars and still be the mechanic.

So reality Mike wasn't really needed at all.
Old 24 March 2017, 01:23 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
A lot of the cars were fake sold to production members just for the show. Quite a few ended up on Eds driveway or being scrapped!
Pretty much. The bloke with the nackered 914 got an absolute steal though (though the pair with the RX7/S"k both need there heads read).
Old 24 March 2017, 01:59 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I am surprised Ant Anstead is replacing him, I guess that's the end of "For the Love of Cars" with Phil Glenister.
Old 24 March 2017, 02:55 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste RB5138
I am surprised Ant Anstead is replacing him, I guess that's the end of "For the Love of Cars" with Phil Glenister.

Me too. I think he's lowering himself to Whealer Dealers personally. Not sure it's a great move for him unless things get changed up somewhat.
Old 25 March 2017, 01:46 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yep.

It used to annoy me that he never, ever had a bolt seize, shear off etc. Everything came away so easily. And new parts always fitted, they were never for a Friday car when the one in front of him was a Monday car.

But the bit that used to make me cringe was Brewer's insistance on playing the cheeky mockney trader, making money, but refusing to take into account the work done, even the travelling for parts etc.

I agree with you but then the show would be less wheeler dealers and just swearing at sheared bolts and rounded nuts.

I watch a few guys on youtube and if they are in California the cars are mint underneath no rust or anything, its amazing. But you see the cars from new york side they are a mess! Worse than here probably. I want to move somewhere warm to work on cars. You can work outside without using carpet to stop yourself freezing to the ground and no rust
Old 25 March 2017, 11:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Shared by a colleague; And if you work on a lot of cars you can relate on the fraud that China is 😜

Ed China right......
Never strips a nut, never cross threads , his Mrs never texts asking strange questions just as he cracks a transmission into his lift , he never fixes a fault to discover it wasn't that , he never ever smokes an oily *** that crackles from the high mineral content soaked into the paper , he never loses a kingpin , or tangles his extension leads , his inspection lights don't need shaking and holding in certain ways-so he never uses his phone torch -that goes off as his wife calls, cancelling said torch , leaving him trapped in darkness answering weather he can pick up some fabric conditioner in his way home -if he ever escapes this pitch black hell !
So....Ed China , you're not real mate
I say this after just replacing the rear beam bushes on a rusty old mk1 Ford KA without using fire or heat. If Ed did this it would be slick edited footage whilst his behind the scenes production mechanic does the heavy graft and grunting Actually it wasn't that bad compared to some; at least the sills didn't collapse whilst it was on the lift

That said: Brewer, no, just no.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 March 2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 25 March 2017, 11:20 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gutted.

Edd IS Wheeler Dealers.

HE is what marks the show out from all the other zillions of car-related detritus out there.

Pathetic decision.

Last edited by joz8968; 25 March 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 25 March 2017, 12:33 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i think we all know its mostly staged etc and edd gets a hand behind the scenes from paul brackley and others. also it might not be so enjoyable seing edd swearing at a seized bolt for 45 minutes. its the proccess of doing the jobs which is interesting and seeing how its done and edd,s way of explaining the engineering behind what they are doing that i personally like. the skint knuckles, seized nuts and bolts and working into the night when it all goes wrong are a given really, its seeing how its done that maybe inspires people to have a go at jobs they might not have before. it was just bloody good telly if your a car nut and of course the slick production made it look easy but that production obviously is costly and they want to cut some of it out. from edd,s point of view im guessing he sees himself (quite rightly) as the main co presenter of the show and they are cutting his scenes. would mike brewer be happy if he was getting his scenes cut back to show more of edd,s? i doubt it. i hope edd gets picked up from somebody with an idea for a show as he,s good on camera and an affable and likeable guy.
Old 25 March 2017, 08:31 PM
john_d
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the show is **** now with all these aremican motor, tbh its not the as the good old days of the 205gti etc
Old 25 March 2017, 08:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by john_d
the show is **** now with all these aremican motor, tbh its not the as the good old days of the 205gti etc
Agreed. The first few UK series had colossal charm.
Old 25 March 2017, 09:11 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste RB5138
I guess that's the end of "For the Love of Cars" with Phil Glenister.
I actually prefer this program.
Old 25 March 2017, 09:45 PM
DTB
Scooby Regular

I remember seeing one of the specials which showed a bit behind the scenes and some o the out-takes. Ed talking to the camera saying it was something like 4am and they were trying to finish some job they and he was knackered. And Ed fluffing his lines to the camera - think it was about a porsche. It took dozens of takes & he was p*ssed right off.

Was probably one of the best episodes of WD!
Old 26 March 2017, 12:55 AM
Jonny Park
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edd needs some 'just for men'.
Old 26 March 2017, 11:27 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Shared by a colleague; And if you work on a lot of cars you can relate on the fraud that China is 😜
Sounds like your mate has a bit of a chip on his shoulder