JDM Authentication/paperwork

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2016, 11:54 AM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JDM Authentication/paperwork

Good morning Scoobynet!

I'm new to the forum, this being my first post, but I've been on the look out for the right Impreza for a little while now and I've been using your forum as a research tool for help.

I want a Blobeye STI ideally with PPP. If I get a UK model I want a widetrack but JDMs seem to be the car of choice and right now I'm favoring a JDM model. I've done me research on the differences between the two versions so I know what I'd be getting extra. I'm in a fortunate position with a UK importer being in the area (Hurst Cars Bedford - anyone any opinions) and they seem very informed and helpful, but hey, they're a car dealer after all!

Like all forums the search feature is useful but inevitably you can't always find the answers you are looking for. My question is, what sort of authentication should you get (if any) when buying an imported car? Is there some kind of certificate or paperwork to say it's all above board? Do the chassis/engine numbers match like when buying a UK car. How about history checks like MOT/mileage? Finally are the car checker services you pay for to check for HPI clear/write off/stolen etc as effective on imported cars?

Any info on what to get/look out for when buying a JDM car would be great.

Binny
Old 31 December 2016, 03:45 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You should get the Auction Sheet and De-reg Certificate which will show you the mileage the vehicles have left Japan with.
There are also websites where you can check simliar to our hpi checks that show previous accidents / mileage discrepancies as well as previous auction mileages and grade sheets also..

Raf

Last edited by RAF1; 11 May 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 31 December 2016, 03:46 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beleieve a Jevic certificate should be available for an imported car
Old 31 December 2016, 05:13 PM
Binny
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

RAF1, that website seems very helpful, thank you. Regards the 'De-reg' Certificate and what it should show, looking at that website should I be looking for :

'Deregistered to Export - not qualified for driving in Japan, the vehicle is determined to be exported'

Anything else is bad right?