OBD readers and Iphones

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2016, 03:23 PM
Raceface_13
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD readers and Iphones

Hey guys,
Im looking at getting one of these OBD reader wifi thingy things that some people seem to be using. my question is, how reliable are they?
iv recently made the switch from android to IOS and I previously brought a Bluetooth obd reader off ebay to use with my android phone and it just never connected, even tried it on other cars with other phones and it never worked.
looking at using the dash command app but just stuck on which reader to buy as they seem to vary greatly in price
Old 07 November 2016, 03:28 PM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

I have used the elm237 obd2 with android, for apple you need a different type of adapter. I used torque app on android and its pretty good however its not real time, the is a fraction delay. Can be handy to log data like coolant temps, boost etc.
Old 07 November 2016, 06:46 PM
ryan51
Scooby Regular

Ive got a nexus 7 install in my fsti.i use a obdkey dongle for it which are quite pricey.im using the torque pro app.not 100% sure how accurate it is but my install looks great and does what i want.

Old 07 November 2016, 06:51 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself an ELM327 OBD2 adaptor, fairly cheap off the net. With Android you need to use the Bluetooth version of the adaptor and an app like Torque or Dashcommand. For Apple iOS you need the Wifi version of the adaptor and use Dashcommand from the App Store. You cannot use the Bluetooth adaptor with Apple nor can you download Torque from the App Store. Luckily Dashcommand is also a very good app to use instead. I have no idea why Torque is not available on Apple iOS.

I use my iPhone, Wifi ELM and Dashcommand and it works perfectly every time.
Old 10 November 2016, 12:48 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a bluetooth obd reader that was compatible with the torque pro app. It was only £10, but works well.
The only issue I've got is that it's a pain to remove. I had to use some long nose pliers to pull it back out again!
Old 10 November 2016, 11:58 AM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an obd extension lead and leave it plugged in. The lead I mean, not the adaptor or it will drain your battery unless you get a lead that has a toggle switch for the +V core.
Old 12 November 2016, 10:11 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoober101
Get an obd extension lead and leave it plugged in. The lead I mean, not the adaptor or it will drain your battery unless you get a lead that has a toggle switch for the +V core.
Why didn't I think of that?
Thanks for the tip.