Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

On the hunt for a WRX.. Prices/value?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2016, 11:30 AM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the hunt for a WRX.. Prices/value?

Been looking for a nice blobeye for the best part of this year and have yet to find a good example.

Looking at a car this weekend. Its a black blobeye wrx (53 plate), 70,000 miles on the clock. Full service history.. 2 cambelt changes, last one being at 45k (not sure on the date)

Mods are as follows:

Zunsport Upper Grill with STi Badge

Zunsport Lower Grill

STi Rear Spoiler

18” Asuka Racing Gold Pro-Drive Style Alloy Wheels

Rear Resonator Delete Pipe

Ninja 2 Rear Silencer

Pipercross Air Filter

Bailey Dump Valve

Uprated WRX Pro Front Brake Calipers

M2 Motorsport STi Strut Brace

Powerflex Anti-Roll Bar Polybushes

Buddy Club Oil Cap

HKS Header Tank Cap

STi Battery Clamp

PIAA Sports Horn

Complete Locking Wheel Nuts With Adapter Key

STi Mudflaps

Replaced Metal Genuine Subaru Gear ****

Dark Tinted Rear Windows

Custom Fit STi Floor Mats and Boot Liner Mat (All carpets protected and in great condition)

The car looks in overall good condition.. I think he is pricing it at around 5.5k.. That just seems crazily expensive to me. Does anyone know roughly what it is worth?/what i should be looking at paying?
Old 09 September 2016, 11:43 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Best thing to do with a bailey dump valve is throw it straight in the bin, they are cheap ****e that have no place in a Subaru engine bay.
Never heard of WRX pro calipers, someone else should comment on that.

TBH none of the mods look all that pricey, I'd save your money and look at an STI or a different car that's been properly modified and mapped.
If you can't stretch to an STI (it's not worth buying a WRX and modding it yourself as it'll become a money pit), look for a WRX with Brembos, a vf35 or billet 18g, STI top mount (or an aftermarket front mount), cat back or turbo back exhaust, STI injectors and a proper remap. There are loads out there.
At that stage you're also better off without an induction kit, the car will work better with the standard panel filter unless you go for something like a K&N Apollo which is enclosed, or you add a separate cold air feed, but at that power level you shouldn't need it.
That should fetch you between 340-370bhp which should be plenty fast enough for everyday driving.

Oh and re price, the cars are going up - mainly because nobody is building exciting hatches or saloons anymore and there's a lack of anything fun with a reliable engine for the price bracket, the newer stuff is either all posh and refined and boring, or too new to be affordable!
The 2.5 cars are known to have far weaker engines that are more susceptible to piston ring failures and headgaskets going, hence the 2.0 cars are a better base for modding.
Prices look to have risen on average by about £1-2k on some cars in the last year by the look of it.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 09 September 2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09 September 2016, 11:51 AM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at some sti's and for the money I have got/willing to spend doesn't buy me a great example. Plus factoring in the extra costs etc I am sort of set on the WRX for the mean time.

I have noticed the prices creeping up, shame the market is a minefield of abused s*** heaps though.
Old 09 September 2016, 01:33 PM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

WRX pro calipers are these :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-FRONT...3D330808582720

Had them fitted on my fronts for a while, they seem about the same as the standard oem ones. Dunno about longevity, but i haven't noticed any difference since changing.
Old 09 September 2016, 01:38 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

To my mind, £5.5k for a 53 plate WRX is WAY over priced. I sold my heavily modified 334bhp immaculate 70k mile 2006 Hawkeye WRX for £4k this year.

Cam belt changes should be every 50k miles or 5 years, whatever comes first. So the 53 plate will need another cam belt done in 2 years.
Old 09 September 2016, 01:39 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree with the comment above too, look for an STI. Better buy in the long run.
Old 09 September 2016, 01:59 PM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Im looking at all blob eye versions at the minute.. I have looked that much recently it has started stressing me out. Might just stop looking for a few weeks and then see what is about. When I bought my last classic impreza 5 years ago there was so many good examples about and for peanuts!
Old 09 September 2016, 03:10 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

It's crazy to think I had trouble selling a 400bhp Bug Sti for 5k a few years ago and now people are paying that and more for a mildly tuned Wrx!
Old 09 September 2016, 05:54 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
It's crazy to think I had trouble selling a 400bhp Bug Sti for 5k a few years ago and now people are paying that and more for a mildly tuned Wrx!
I'd take a bug sti over a blob wrx everyday of the week...
Old 09 September 2016, 07:52 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Love my blob wrx. Its fully decatted,perrin inlet pipe. Prodrive y pipe etc. Mapped by andrew carr with twin maps and switchable antilag. Pulls well for what it is and drives much better than my previous 336bhp bugeye. Just my opinion tho not trying to preach in anyway that its better or faster than an sti but im happy and thats all that counts. £5.5k seems about right at the moment and they are selling. If you say you been looking most of the year then seems you got time and are fussy so sit tight till the right car and deal comes along. All the best
Old 11 September 2016, 11:14 AM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, im real fussy when it comes to cars. Even if the car was £500 i would be fussy. I love the blob shape, quite like the hawkeye but it would have to be a very nice car to justify the tax money.

I will hold tight for the time being, i am sure that the right car will pop up eventually ��
Old 11 September 2016, 07:07 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
What people advertise cars for and what they sell for are rarely comparative when it comes to modified stuff. There's been a huge increase in the past few years of fully functioning STI's being broken for parts too which has had the seeming effect of pushing prices up a bit.
Old 12 September 2016, 11:34 PM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 53
Sounds like it's been treated to the ebay tick list
Yeah, half the reason I changed my mind viewing it.

All advice is taken on board
Old 13 September 2016, 12:27 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Posts have been deleted. Please take the bickering elsewhere.
Old 13 September 2016, 12:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

As said, WRX Pro calipers are not an upgrade. Just a decent copy of the standard Subaru 4 Pots, which are crap to be honest.
So, question is, why didn't he pay a bit more money an upgrade to brembos or just exchange his calipers for refurbished ones? Only about £100 difference.
So if he couldn't afford that, it raises questions about how well the car has been looked after.
And yes, that is way too expensive for a blob wrx.
Old 13 September 2016, 02:03 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrNoisy
Best thing to do with a bailey dump valve is throw it straight in the bin, they are cheap ****e that have no place in a Subaru engine bay.
Throw any VTA dump valve in the bin, or find some eejit to buy it off you and ruin his car with a chuffer valve
Old 13 September 2016, 04:11 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Throw any VTA dump valve in the bin, or find some eejit to buy it off you and ruin his car with a chuffer valve
At that age I'd expect the suspension, if original, to be knocking, the rocker cover gaskets to be oozing and the radiator starting to collapse. The other common issue is binding/seizing front callipers, which look like they've been done already. None of which are particularly expensive or difficult jobs to put right, but I would expect to see a bill for some or all of the above if it's been well maintained.
For over £5k I would expect it to be in very, very good condition with very little needing doing to it.
Old 13 September 2016, 06:53 PM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

He seems pretty adamant about wanting 5.5k for it.. Like everyone has said it has cheap mods fitted to it so nothing special about it really. Its about the only car I have found worth at least having a look at. In the same breath will just be wasting my time because im not going to spend that much on a 13 year old wrx.

Im pretty surprised there arent more Imprezas for sale on here
Old 13 September 2016, 07:10 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SnoopDoig
He seems pretty adamant about wanting 5.5k for it.. Like everyone has said it has cheap mods fitted to it so nothing special about it really. Its about the only car I have found worth at least having a look at. In the same breath will just be wasting my time because im not going to spend that much on a 13 year old wrx.

Im pretty surprised there arent more Imprezas for sale on here
I don't know if it's still for sale but this looked like a quality build and a similar cost to that one above:

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...s-impreza.html
Old 13 September 2016, 07:56 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of people, myself included, won't advertise on here because it's full of sad acts and arseholes that want to rip the add, the car or the owner to pieces and shout about the price, and totally ruin any chance of a sale with their twisted points of view yet have absolutely no interest in buying.

Ebayed mine, sold in 3 days for around £500 more than I expected.
Old 13 September 2016, 08:31 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Trus there is a lot of dross about. However sometimes a real gem turns up like this jdm wrx from a few month back:

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...dm-newage.html
Old 13 September 2016, 09:45 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All depends what you want/expect from the car

Wrx is easier to live with as a daily, nice responsive in the school run, and traffic. The sti needs winding up a bit more, but obs has more punch once going. I personally prefer the 5sp gearing. But miss the 6th gear on the motorway.

Brakes can be sorted for 500 ish, as about look at maintenance side of things, usually enthusist owned is better. Theres a lot of ****e about for silly money.
Old 13 September 2016, 09:55 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

I think there's room there to get it for 5k. Doesn't seem to outrageous if all the common age related issues have been addressed. I'd advertise mine for 4500-5000 expecting to get around 4000-4500 as it's in relatively good order throughout.
Old 13 September 2016, 11:31 PM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
A lot of people, myself included, won't advertise on here because it's full of sad acts and arseholes that want to rip the add, the car or the owner to pieces and shout about the price, and totally ruin any chance of a sale with their twisted points of view yet have absolutely no interest in buying.

Ebayed mine, sold in 3 days for around £500 more than I expected.
Looking through old adverts I kind of got that impression to be honest.

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
Trus there is a lot of dross about. However sometimes a real gem turns up like this jdm wrx from a few month back:

Thats exactly the type of car I have been waiting for, seems like I have been waiting forever

Originally Posted by cuprajake
All depends what you want/expect from the car

Wrx is easier to live with as a daily, nice responsive in the school run, and traffic. The sti needs winding up a bit more, but obs has more punch once going. I personally prefer the 5sp gearing. But miss the 6th gear on the motorway.

Brakes can be sorted for 500 ish, as about look at maintenance side of things, usually enthusist owned is better. Theres a lot of ****e about for silly money.
The car will be my daily so has to be resonably sensible.. The sti is just that little bit of expense too much for me.. I want to be able to use the car all the time without being stressed about the costs of this, that and the other

Yeah this car has been advertised twice now without selling, so eventually im sure he will budge on the price. Who knows though, it could be a shed of a car.
Old 13 September 2016, 11:42 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This was my WRX, sold pretty quickly to be fair.
Old 14 September 2016, 12:02 AM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
This was my WRX, sold pretty quickly to be fair.
That link was posted earlier, looked like a beaut of a car
Old 14 September 2016, 12:07 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Moved on to this now.
https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...spec-b-gt.html
Old 14 September 2016, 12:09 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by SnoopDoig
That link was posted earlier, looked like a beaut of a car
Keep looking mate or go to an importer for a Newage WRX, plenty at the auctions and cheaper than the STI equivalent.
Old 14 September 2016, 08:03 AM
SnoopDoig
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
That looks mint!

I will definitely keep looking, good thing I have alot of things going on at the minute so I'm not rushing and buying on impulse