Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hatch STI'S for a daily for the Mrs. Easy to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2016, 09:28 AM
BigZee87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch STI'S for a daily for the Mrs. Easy to drive?

Having started a new job I now have a van for work so really only use my car on the weekend (currently have mazda 3 mps as daily) so I'm looking to get something the Mrs can use to Potter around town and then a weekend car for me.

I bought the mazda with this in mind but the map on it is very aggressive, it tourque steers like a bitch even when you look at the accelerator paired with a short shifter and paddle clutch makes her feel unsafe in it.

Problem is the Mrs who will be using every day whilst carrying the soon to arrive precious cargo is very inexperienced with higher powered cars. She won't drive them fast but the fact the power there scares her.

I have only owned classics and new age sti's and compared to something small they can be a bit of a handful and if she did hit the spool I think it would scare the **** out of her.

My question is what'she the drivability like on the hatch sti's? Will they catch you off guard if your not careful and are they still a bit harder to pull away in same as the older ones due to the 4wd? Until she was very used to it I wouldnt up the power and if it was to have a map I'd ask for more non aggressive

Would love to get back in a subi but with the little one on the way and the fact the Mrs would be the main driver I have to be sensible for once
Old 03 September 2016, 09:36 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Not sure how your wife drives but I cant see it being any different from any other car, If she drives it normal and not giving it full beans all the time then Id say it would make a great everyday car, as there a lot more comfortable/grown up then the previous model Impreza's.

My wife used to daily our old Evo 6 RSX and this had no creature comforts/hard suspension/400+bhp with no problems, I guess there a bit more careful with the power then us when driving.
Old 03 September 2016, 10:03 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

The Si drive will allow you to restrict torque and have less throttle response so makes it feel lazy and less likely to catch anyone out lol , mines very easy to drive day to day and it's over 500bhp in sport sharp but you have to switch it to that so if you left it on by mistake and the mrs gets in it will default to sport and be less boost and torque than in sport sharpe
Old 03 September 2016, 10:04 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

With the 3 driving modes , in "i drive" tames everything down. If she wants to tootle about she can , if she wants a bit more there is 2 other modes !
I find the clutch biting point very difficult to find for smooth gear changes , if i haven't driven it in a while (I'm in a work van all day) it's a bit jerky/harsh . But i have a feeling thats just my car so would advise getting a test drive in one.
Old 03 September 2016, 10:56 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

You could do with having 2 maps on the ECU, don't think thats possible with the hatch, but then you could drop the boost and have a much smoother map for your lady, then a aggressive map for yourself.

As far as the STI i think from what I've read the WRX might be more of an easier car to drive as a daily driver.
Old 03 September 2016, 11:38 AM
BigZee87
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads. I'll start having a look for a test drive in one.
Old 03 September 2016, 11:52 AM
Hatch WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We bought a Hatch WRX for wife's daily drive a few months ago.
She loves it!
It's not as noisy & firm as my blob eye or as powerful.
Suspension is very compliant & spool of TD04 is vey smooth.
Mpg is shocking tho, 27 average and 30 is very rare and only on a long journey with low rpm.
But it's the price you pay for a car that's a bit different.
Old 03 September 2016, 12:07 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Definitely a daily driver; as a couple we have regular arguements over who is going to drive, and that is a spec C hatch. What Charlie and Domino have said about the i drive is spot on....it`s like 2 different cars, but who uses i anyway?
Old 03 September 2016, 12:08 PM
BigZee87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hatch WRX
We bought a Hatch WRX for wife's daily drive a few months ago.
She loves it!
It's not as noisy & firm as my blob eye or as powerful.
Suspension is very compliant & spool of TD04 is vey smooth.
Mpg is shocking tho, 27 average and 30 is very rare and only on a long journey with low rpm.
But it's the price you pay for a car that's a bit different.
I was looking at them as some decent ones about but cus it's still going to be my weekend car its gotta be an sti I think
Old 03 September 2016, 12:17 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

They are very easy to live with as a daily. A lot easier than a classic and hawk. Ive dailyed scoobs for 7yrs and hatch has been the best suited. Lot easier to drive, lighter steering, clutch, gear throw etc and a lot more comfortable.

@jaygsi - not sure what you read but hatch sti has 3 maps out of the box, all can be mapped individually.

Also, S# map can only be set by turning the **** during each journey, if ignition is switched off it will revert to s map so for the wife there would be no chance of it being in s# unless she switches it herself

I get 24mpg urban driving
Old 03 September 2016, 02:21 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Definitely a daily driver; as a couple we have regular arguements over who is going to drive, and that is a spec C hatch. What Charlie and Domino have said about the i drive is spot on....it`s like 2 different cars, but who uses i anyway?
I'd have one as a daily as a heart beat after driving yours. Sensible if required but bonkers when required
Old 03 September 2016, 03:25 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I'd have one as a daily as a heart beat after driving yours. Sensible if required but bonkers when required
I thought you drove VERY sensible ! Thanks for your help