ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX oversteer in wet but slow

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2016, 02:09 PM
IVIike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX oversteer in wet but slow

hi guys i have a newage WRX 03 fairly new to the car so i am sure there is lots to learn.

basically my issue is that when driving in the rain the car oversteers excessively in wet conditions. this is at low speed (15mph) and off the gas and the back end will just fly off on its own.

i have budget tires (probably just answered my own question) but with decent tread and are stock size.

this can happen when casually turning and seems to come out of the blue. i have had budget tyres on other cars in the past but never experienced anything this dramatic at such low speed.

my question is, is this normal or could anyone diagnose from this if there is a fault with the car?

any input welcome!
Old 28 August 2016, 03:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Had exactly the same thing when I had ditch finders on an old Ford Focus. No warning, they would just let go. However, do you have an updated rear anti roll bar fitted by any chance?
My money is on the tyres though.
Old 28 August 2016, 04:02 PM
IVIike
Scooby Regular

thanks Gear Head,

no rear anti roll bar upgrade.

i have just been out and searched the tyres on the rear are accelera tyres alpha. after a couple of searches it seems they are just shocking in wet. to any one who thinks of buying these tires dont! it is literally laughable. i think im just going to have to get rid and buy some decent tyres for the rear...

if it is the tyres causing this then the UK gov should be pulled up on them as i have no doubt these tyres could and i dare say have killed people and should not be available in the UK market.

for any one who wants to drift their awd these tyres and a bit of damp weather may be the answer lol

once replaced i will post an update, in the meantime i will just have to take corners slower than my nan on her mobility scooter when wet

in their defence they are fine in the dry but this just adds to the shock of what happens when wet...
Old 28 August 2016, 04:43 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to do all 4 not just 2...
Old 28 August 2016, 05:32 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

As above invest in a decent full set of tyres, don't know why anyone would run ditchfinders on any car especially an impreza..
Old 28 August 2016, 11:17 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with my last wrx, It had toyo T1R's fitted and I thought they were decent tyres......until I went round a damp roundabout about 20mph... sideways

Always replace 4 tyres at once, and fit matching tyres too

I only use vredestien ultrac sessantas now, never had an issue, even in a foot of snow