ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sailed through MOT with Nur Spec R

Old 15 August 2016, 07:27 PM
RussStiTypeuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailed through MOT with Nur Spec R

Hi All
Had the MOT on the STi DCCD Widetrack today, took some advice and visited the MOT station tester who last week said he would not pass my car with the exhaust that loud but if I put the bung in and it quietens the noise by half he may be able too... What a difference the bung makes even quieter than my original Prodrive system !!!

Pleased to say it sailed through the test and got some great comments on how clean an example the car is, what's been done since April, replaced all tyres to Toyo's plus 4 wheel alignment, new front and rear discs and pads by EBC, new cambelt and full major service inc all fluids at 54k miles... New Rallyflapz mudflaps....

Last edited by RussStiTypeuk; 15 August 2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 15 August 2016, 10:58 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bung will make a big difference, just don't try driving hard with it fitted

You will lose about 50bhp with it fitted and I wouldn't want to risk the massive back pressure that it will introduce. I don't know if it can cause engine damage, but I don't think big back pressure will be good for the engine
Old 15 August 2016, 11:20 PM
RussStiTypeuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
The bung will make a big difference, just don't try driving hard with it fitted

You will lose about 50bhp with it fitted and I wouldn't want to risk the massive back pressure that it will introduce. I don't know if it can cause engine damage, but I don't think big back pressure will be good for the engine
Cheers mate, the bung was only inserted to ensure it would pass the MOT from a reduced noise level, it was removed as soon as I made the mile journey back home from the MOT centre as miss that beautiful rumble
Old 16 August 2016, 06:58 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd have gone somewhere else if mot guy told me that. Had a bung fitted to mine for abit as had complaints on noise when coming home late. Sold it though as just to loud on long drives.
Old 16 August 2016, 10:34 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussStiTypeuk
Cheers mate, the bung was only inserted to ensure it would pass the MOT from a reduced noise level, it was removed as soon as I made the mile journey back home from the MOT centre as miss that beautiful rumble
When I first fitted my 3" full decat exhaust, it was loud inside (the kids are used to it now and love it ). I fitted a bung when we went to Brighton (from Sheffield), I 'had' to pull up on the hard shoulder and remove it when I saw 'tunnel ahead' at the Guilford tunnel . When I left the hard shoulder a V12 C600 merc pulled alongside me. He floored it in 2nd and slowed down, I floored it in 2nd and backed off pop'ing and banging. We repeated this all through the tunnel

We both gave each other the thumbs up after the tunnel and went on our way
Old 16 August 2016, 11:34 PM
RussStiTypeuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
When I first fitted my 3" full decat exhaust, it was loud inside (the kids are used to it now and love it ). I fitted a bung when we went to Brighton (from Sheffield), I 'had' to pull up on the hard shoulder and remove it when I saw 'tunnel ahead' at the Guilford tunnel . When I left the hard shoulder a V12 C600 merc pulled alongside me. He floored it in 2nd and slowed down, I floored it in 2nd and backed off pop'ing and banging. We repeated this all through the tunnel

We both gave each other the thumbs up after the tunnel and went on our way
Lol.... Love it
Old 17 August 2016, 01:25 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Your kids have probably lost there hearing by now

Can't beat a tunnel run.
Old 17 August 2016, 10:04 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Your kids have probably lost there hearing by now

Can't beat a tunnel run.

There are a couple of low bridges near me that sound great, but no proper tunnels

I went on a supercar meet a few years ago in Leeds, I met a few cars in Barnsley, then York. I was near the front of the convoy when we got to a tunnel in Leeds. I slowed down to 20mph and listened to all the different cars passing me, Lambo's, Ferrari's, TVR's, Aston's, they sounded amazing