Sponsored by:

Regretting the sale of my 05 widetrack Sti

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2016, 08:23 AM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regretting the sale of my 05 widetrack Sti

After owning a forged 07 Wrx, jap Classic Sti & a 05 widetrack Sti, I bought a fiat 500 and not even the abarth version lil 1.4, I'm seriously missing owning a impreza,

I'm presuming many people have made same choices. But have you's gone back or stayed strong. Gotta remember why I sold in first place.
Old 13 June 2016, 08:27 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stiMIGHTYsti
After owning a forged 07 Wrx, jap Classic Sti & a 05 widetrack Sti, I bought a fiat 500 and not even the abarth version lil 1.4, I'm seriously missing owning a impreza,

I'm presuming many people have made same choices. But have you's gone back or stayed strong. Gotta remember why I sold in first place.
It depends if the impreza was a daily use car or not
Mine wasn't and I don't regret selling it at all.
I can imagine running a Fiat 500 as a daily is awful
Old 13 June 2016, 08:43 AM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

Could commute on bike but moved so massive drive to work now so didn't wanna add miles n could not afford both. But things changed now so can (kinda) afford both.
Old 13 June 2016, 08:45 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Could commute on bike but moved so massive drive to work now so didn't wanna add miles n could not afford both. But things changed now so can (kinda) afford both.
I spend all week in a vag diesel. If you can afford it buy another for the weekend.

One is a car you need, the other is a car you want.
Old 13 June 2016, 11:18 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
I spend all week in a vag diesel. If you can afford it buy another for the weekend.

One is a car you need, the other is a car you want.
Absolutely this ^^^^^
Old 13 June 2016, 12:04 PM
scooby k
Scooby Regular

I regretted selling my widetrack, it even feels worse as they are a lot more harder to find now and being purchased by dodgy dealers with bumped up rocket high prices.

Just time to move on I guess, life too short to be waiting.
Old 13 June 2016, 12:24 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm old and married with two children. I don't drink much, I don't go for expensive meals or holidays. Daft cars are my one remaining vice. If I sold my subaru it'd only be to replace it with something faster and less practical.
Old 13 June 2016, 12:27 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
I'm old and married with two children. I don't drink much, I don't go for expensive meals or holidays. Daft cars are my one remaining vice. If I sold my subaru it'd only be to replace it with something faster and less practical.
the difference is when you get older you dont want to be in a subaru daily as they are uncomfortable,poorly equipped and look stupid.

modern cars make much much much better dailys and save a special car for weekends
Old 13 June 2016, 12:55 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

the difference is when you get older you dont want to be in a subaru daily as they are uncomfortable,poorly equipped and look stupid.

modern cars make much much much better dailys and save a special car for weekends
Very true, however I'm lucky in that I have a relatively short commute that I can vary the route on. So despite my advanced years and general decrepitude my scooby is fine for daily use. But I concede, if i was to change jobs and end up doing a lot more motorway miles then I'd have to get a volvo (comfy seats) and something more exciting for the weekend.
Old 13 June 2016, 01:15 PM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the great comments, gonna think long n hard before i make the jump.
Old 13 June 2016, 08:36 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the great comments, gonna think long n hard before i make the jump.
My story. I brought my 1st in 2009 a standard bug uk300. Sold it in march 2011 running circa 340bhp as wanted a cheaper to run car and ended up with a 2004 civic type r. Great car but missed my subaru so sold that and was on the hunt for another. Few weeks later had a phone call off bloke i sold uk300 to sayin car was forsale as he was caught with another woman and divorce was on cards etc. I brought it back for less than i sold it. Loved having it back. Fast forward to 2013 my mrs changed job and needed car for work. I wouldnt let her use subaru so sold it and again brought another civic type r. I couldnt care less if she kerbed it, parked on tesco or took it £5 car wash as i wasnt getting ear bashing and ride my push bike the 2 mile to work. But on the odd time i did drive it i missed the turbo/subaru in mylife. I sold the bread van and had a 2005 cupra r running 280ish bhp. This was a quick car but was a nightmare with electrical gremlins weekly. Im march last year my wife decided work from home so within a week cupra was sold an ive had my blobeye ever since. I still push bike to work so its a weekend toy and is staying that way. Think in time ive owned it ive let her drive it twice and one of those times was back from pub after i got the taste lol.
Old 13 June 2016, 08:42 PM
RussStiTypeuk
Scooby Regular

I spend all week in a BMW 520d company car auto with 19's a great cruiser for the miles I do, I have owned 6 scoobies over the last 10 years and in April bought a 05 plate Widetrack STi Type UK as a weekend toy, I have had M3's as well but have always gone back to the STi, as a weekend toy it's just fantastic after using the 5 all week....
Old 13 June 2016, 10:33 PM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

Well it's decided the hunt has started!! Thanks
I'm mega excited.
Old 13 June 2016, 10:52 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

How on earth did you get from a Subaru to a Fiat 500?

Butch yobo car to a girly hatchback lol I could understand the Albarth.

Old 14 June 2016, 06:02 AM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

It was just there and Impreza had gone and I was carless for two weeks. but it ain't that bad actually kinda like it. The fiat is gonna be my daily. Well for now anyway.
Old 15 June 2016, 09:52 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

i use my STI wide track as a daily driver and do 40 miles a day, 5 days a week. its running on coil overs and 9x18 wheels, i don't find the ride that bad.
Old 16 June 2016, 10:55 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

I regrettably sold my Prodrive bugeye STI to buy a house and regretted it right away. Ended up driving a 2005 1.2 Clio around for a few months, now I'm back in a WRX. Would like another car for a daily driver so I can save the Subaru for weekends etc but doubt that'll happen any time soon!

Matt.
Old 16 June 2016, 01:06 PM
nozzavtr
Scooby Regular

I have two cars, my 2006 Blobeye STI and the other car, a Prius. I hope never to be in a position where I have to sell the Subaru. I can run both cars for not far off the same price as running the Subaru daily. And I get mistaken for a Minicab a lot in the other car
Old 16 June 2016, 06:11 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve owned 5 imprezas in the last 15 years , 93 WRX, 98 STI4, 95 UK turbo, 2000 UK turbo and my current, a Widetrack JDM STI. All great cars, but as I,m 60 now and want a more comfortable daily ride,I bought a X reg 2.0 Ghia Focus saloon which I,ve had for about 18 months now and has been very reliable. The Subaru is now my weekend toy. It still brings a smile to my face everytime I use it. Agree with what Tommy says aswell. Steve.

Last edited by Steve T; 16 June 2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 19 June 2016, 02:24 PM
Gary Tractor boy
Scooby Regular

me too, now on my 3rd Scooby MY 05 STi widetrack aged 40, 3 kids, got a company work van for mon-fri and the misses has a people carrier for running the kids about which leaves my Scoob as a weekend car, gareged during the week, do about 5000 miles a year, and the value of my car has gone up in the last 3 years I've owned it. Love it.
Old 19 June 2016, 04:54 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

The wife has a Dacia Sandero I have a 2011 kangoo for a daily use it for hunting with the lurcher do ya like dags lol

The scoob has done less than 200km since purchase 7 months ago I really need to drive it
Old 19 June 2016, 05:00 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
The wife has a Dacia Sandero I have a 2011 kangoo for a daily use it for hunting with the lurcher do ya like dags lol

The scoob has done less than 200km since purchase 7 months ago I really need to drive it
Sadly that's what happens with weekend cars, not much use.
That's why I sold mine did less than 1k in a year and less than 10k in the 6 years I owned it.
Still doesn't stop me looking for a replacement though
Old 19 June 2016, 05:12 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I thought I wanted another weekend car but justifying one is hard when it would sit there all week/month(s) not being used so thought I'd buy a new Civic Type R for Mrs Allen to use as a daily and for me to have a blast in when I could.

Once at Honda and talking to the salesman I realised actually I don't one after all so bought a 2016 Qashqai which I collect tomorrow!......I see it as a reverse midlife crisis!
Old 19 June 2016, 05:16 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by jayallen
I thought I wanted another weekend car but justifying one is hard when it would sit there all week/month(s) not being used so thought I'd buy a new Civic Type R for Mrs Allen to use as a daily and for me to have a blast in when I could.

Once at Honda and talking to the salesman I realised actually I don't one after all so bought a 2016 Qashqai which I collect tomorrow!......I see it as a reverse midlife crisis!
That's my issue wanting one but trying to justify one just to sit there all week.
I might buy a Nissan then I can start nioc on Facebook and we can ruin them and call then vader
Old 19 June 2016, 05:20 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had similar story owned four Imprezas last ten years (3 classics currently 05 wrx ppp)
Always sold them once having to do bigger miles but always regretted it so now got astra diesel for work and subaru for not work..... though still done 8000 a year...addiction for B-road blasts i blame!
Old 19 June 2016, 05:20 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

My 93 WRX became a Spring/Summer 2nd car only a year or so after I bought it in 2003. Since then I've swapped between economical daily cars to more fun ones as priorities have changed:

97 Mondeo
03 Mondeo Diesel
05 WRX PPP
06 Civic Diesel
09 Civic Type R
09 Mini Cooper D
02 JDM Civic Type R

You can see the pattern. If you love cars, driving economical ones most of the time is fecking boring - even with a fun 2nd car.
Old 19 June 2016, 05:23 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

That's my issue wanting one but trying to justify one just to sit there all week.
I might buy a Nissan then I can start nioc on Facebook and we can ruin them and call then vader
I did actually order black so I could go down the Vader look, maybe fibreglass a grille from the Juke on the front!
Old 19 June 2016, 05:41 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by jayallen
I did actually order black so I could go down the Vader look, maybe fibreglass a grille from the Juke on the front!

I'm sold I'm going to weld an ashtray to my roof and colour in the writing on the tyres.