Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New member + couple of questions

Old 28 April 2016, 02:57 PM
Ashley_Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member + couple of questions

Hi guys I've recently joined up, bought a 1997 Subaru WRX import a few weeks ago, really been loving the car and wanted to join a community.

Car is in amazing condition for the age, low mileage for age and is a standard import bar a few mods - reg/grey tailights, standard alloys powdercoated dark metallic grey, bigger bore straight through exhaust with 5" (I'm guessin) Apexi backbox, dump-valve, boost gauge and silicone hosing on engine, new headunit + speakers.

Really finding it a brilliant drive, fast and great handling + best looking model in my opinion lol sorry if that ruffles any feathers!
However I have noticed a couple of issues, know was never going to be plain sailing with a 20yr old car but heyho it'll be worth fixing as I intend on keeping it as long as possible.

First issue I thought was tracking, shudder at 60-70mph, but tyre fitters said it isn't that, there's play on wheel and it could be steering rack/track rod? A friend reckons its a ball joint also. I'm not mechanical in any way and suffer with a bad back so wont be doing work myself, going to try and get it looked at by someone just wanted a heads up on what you guys think might be wrong and possible costs to fix.

My other issue could be more major or not even a problem, not sure to be honest. Had a look around on forums as I have a very high biting point, some people saying clutch on way out and others saying that's just how their car is or their import model has always been like that.
I'm prepared either way, know its a swine of a job and is gunna cost in labour just not sure if clutch is even dodgy. It does feel a bit jerky when I let of the clutch so I don't know whether that could be an indicator or it's just in my head and I'm not using to the AWD/power.

Any responses would be gratefully received, grin couldn't be wiped off my face either way what a car!
Old 28 April 2016, 04:38 PM
Dvddan
Scooby Regular

Might not be a problem with the clutch, I have had my car from new 60 delivery miles on the clock 1998 have had the same clutch from day 1 now on 57k ALWAYS been that way, my mechanic said it needed replacing and would go very shortly, That was 4000 miles ago and its still good. do get judder now and again but did that from day 1 as well, is the clutch slipping?
Thats just how the wrx or sti's are as far as I know.
I would wait for sure signs that its on its way out before replacing it and enjoy the beast and don't worry to much.
If the car is in standard form then you don't tend to get too many problems unless its been ragged to death,start messing with it then I can't guarantee no problems

Hope this is of some help to you
Old 29 April 2016, 12:11 AM
Autotweek
Former Sponsor

Hi second one sounds like clutch judder, quite common on Subaru's. It can be rectified with uprated clutch.