Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first web page (fitting a Legacy chargecooler)

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2001, 07:57 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Here is my first stab at a web page - it is about fitting a RS Legacy (Liberty) chargecooler to my WRX:

Old 12 May 2001, 08:13 PM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Great work and good to see that British Invention is still alive and well. I think it would be hugely beneficial to do some more research into the Impreza and it's cooling set-up to try and optimise the Oil/Water/Turbo Charger set-ups without compromising each other - If there's enough intrest maybe we should get together some kind of working group and split the testing between us??

Anyone else fancy getting involved with improving the performance AND reliability of the Scoob in this way??

Old 12 May 2001, 10:13 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

great effort gavin. i think you were being very modest when you visted me to collect the recaro interior. when we talked about mods you did mention the charge cooler, but made it sound like a very straight forward bolt in job! Obviously far from it!1 I feel a bit silly now giving you advice on how to get the back seat out! Glad you humoured me! well done, when and what is the next installment

mark
Old 13 May 2001, 12:04 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi gavin
i have seen your set up before on the BBS but it was all in bits and pieces over few threads, it is good to have every thing on one place. :-)

what benefits will this set up give you over the standard on track ? have you measured the temps you get on track with the charge cooler ?
Old 13 May 2001, 12:16 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sam,

Thanks for the comments - you're right about putting it all in one place!

I haven't taken my car on a track yet but I would expect a front mounted air/air intercooler to be a better solution in this situation.

The air/water is very efficient if boost is used occasionally (i.e. road use) but constant use I feel is better suited to a good air/air unit.

You make a very good point which I haven't included on the page - time for (another) revision!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 13 May 2001, 11:30 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the kind words - fitting the chargecooler was definitely a case of perserverence over talent (unfortunately).

Willo: The Legacy and early WRX are very similar so I can't really take credit for Subaru's idea.... Obviously having a heat exchanger which bolts straight on and fits the turbo and inlet manifold is a big help...

If you are proposing testing components, it's also worth posting on the 22B BBS
Old 13 May 2001, 09:51 PM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Gavin, good advise on posting on 22B as well as I've been ploughing through some threads from Firefox re: the wonderful world of intercoolers. I'm like ther idea of using a front mount air to air unit but the nose of the Impreza is one hell of a busy place and I know that some of the FMIC users see a big increase in oil temperature (not what you need on an Impreza..) If I remember rightly you were looking at installing an oil cooler where the old intercooler once lived which seemed a good compromise and might alay my fears re: FMIC. Has anyone mounted any kind of oil cooler in the front wing and/or gone for a more efficient core in the standard radiator. Finally, I've also looked at the Autospeed articles and still can't understand why sharing coolant between a much more substantial (and efficient) radiator and the intercooler is a bad thing

Thoughts??
Old 14 May 2001, 10:28 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Willo,

I think it is Nito who is looking at the oil cooler mounted under the hood scoop -
Old 14 May 2001, 04:39 PM
Willo
Scooby Regular

You're right it was Nito - So dazzled with all of the Defi gauages in the cockpit that I obviously forgot it was him!!

If air to air is the correct solution (and assuming that FMIC is best) then how do we get everything in the nose of the Scoob?? (Hence the wing mounted oil cooler question)

Old 14 May 2001, 05:34 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Willo,

Have you got an oil temp gauge fitted ? The oil must be within a certain heat range to work to maximum effect - you may not need an additional oil cooler.

If you are looking at FMICs, it may be worth speaking to Pace about their one they are developing -
Old 14 May 2001, 06:00 PM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Patiently waiting for extra cash to install Defi gauges but two different FMIC users (Nito + 1) have reported increased Oil Temps (Nito was up 15 degrees on memory) - One option looked to be the Apexi FMIC which looked to be very small with a highly efficient core, seemed like the best of both worlds (FMIC + some radiator left uncovered) - Anyone got experience of this product or can comment on higher Oil Temps with FMIC??
Old 14 May 2001, 11:16 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi gavin
can you tell me what did you use to measure the intake temps with ? and where did you get them from ? i am going to take some measurments on track at the end of the month ( well thats is the plan anyway) so i can see what i am getting with the standard tmic+/- the water spray.

willo
i will be getting a FMIC by the end of the month or maybe early next month ( hopig to have it before croft ). but i have not seent the APexi one before do you have a link for their site ? i am thinking of getting the APS one or maybe just go for the tried and tested HKS ? i would like to keep costs down if possible.

sam
Old 15 May 2001, 08:56 AM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sam,

Try the following link below for details of some of the various options - I seem to remember that there are two different Apexi options

Old 15 May 2001, 11:27 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Sam,

The best place to get temp readings seems to be in the pipe between the intercooler outlet and the intake manifold.

I've currently got mine tapped into one of the other pipes connected to the intake manifold and the readings are much higher (due to heat soak). I thought for a while that the current readings were truer and then removed the pump fuse to see if this was reflected and there was no effect. The pipe I am using is also very hot to the touch after a run so not ideal.

I'm moving mine back into the main pipe which seems much more realistic!

To measure temperatures, I originally used an indoor/outdoor car thermometer which read upto 70 degrees C. It cost £10 and did the job although was not particularly attractive. It was not backlit so use at night was "challenging". If you can get a higher range one it is preferable.

I have since replaced it with the unit from Protherm which cost £50 for the unit and £20 for the K-type thermocouple. This LED unit is much less unsightly, can be read at night and also has two relays built into it which are live at user-definable temperatures. You could for example set an intercooler water spray to trigger at 30 degrees C and water injection (in series with a boost switch) at 40 degrees C -
Old 15 May 2001, 06:39 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks gavip that is helpful, which unit did you go for ?

willo
do you know a UK supplier for the Apexi stuff ? any idea how much it cost ? what did you go for at the end

cheers

sam
Old 15 May 2001, 06:44 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Sam,

I went for the AKO14721 unit.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 15 May 2001, 10:25 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Guys,

I've just started working on a website to give details, or links, on how to do all sorts of conversions to Impreza's.

My aim is to get everyone who has done any mods, which they would like to share with others, to send me either full details including pictures and I will host it, or a URL to a site where details are located.

The site should be live within the next week at
Old 16 May 2001, 08:34 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sasim,

No problem!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 16 May 2001, 09:01 AM
Willo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sam

Try the following guys for the Apex'i bits (I believe they are the UK Importers)

Old 16 May 2001, 06:15 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks willo
i really look forward to that. you are going to start a little earlier than me. i hope to get the FMIC early next month if i decide which one i should go for. at the end of the day they will all be a lot better than the standard. what ecu are you runing ?

i have got link.

thanks gavin
i will keep you guys posted about on track data.

sam