Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Exhaust advice

Old 11 March 2016, 08:50 PM
Nicky Gormley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust advice

Hi all, I'm new here and only recently purchased a 03 blobeye Sti PPP. I am looking to change the exhaust and want that real nice deep burble but not stupid loud. I plan on remapping the car along with few other things in due time. What would anyone advice me with?? And am I best going for full decat?
Old 11 March 2016, 10:15 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Full decat is best mate. Its good to get as much parts together as possible altogether and fit them all at once. Tbh most cat backs are going to be loud on your car, but ones with a centre resonator should be ok from inside. Newages are well sound proofed and you get used to it!
Old 11 March 2016, 10:29 PM
Marco.Singh
Scooby Regular

I've got a blobeye with full decat, resonated centre pipe with a afterburner vortex which I'm very happy with. Nice burble on idle, not ridiculously loud and sounds great on boost. I would recommend this setup as its a nice medium without it being stupid loud. I had a Prodrive backbox before the afterburner vortex with same setup and it wasn't loud enough in terms of the burble. With the afterburner is definitely amplifies it a notch or two.
Old 11 March 2016, 10:36 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd stick to your Prodrive back box and replace centre pipe with a straight though section. I have a 100 cell Ninja sports cat and Power flow cat back system with straight though centre pipe, nice deep rumble.
Old 11 March 2016, 11:00 PM
t14ard
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
I'd stick to your Prodrive back box and replace centre pipe with a straight though section. I have a 100 cell Ninja sports cat and Power flow cat back system with straight though centre pipe, nice deep rumble.
^^^^^*

As above.

Cat back is just to much.

Get a sports Cat and Prodrive BB and that will be great.

Will need re map.
Old 11 March 2016, 11:22 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
This is the set up want. It's subtle but people will know you've arrived.
Old 12 March 2016, 12:35 AM
Nicky Gormley
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. As the car is Prodrive there is a full exhaust system on it. So use reckon decat front and middle sext ion and leave the Prodrive Bb and will have a nice sound??
Old 12 March 2016, 01:34 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nicky Gormley
Thanks for the replies. As the car is Prodrive there is a full exhaust system on it. So use reckon decat front and middle sext ion and leave the Prodrive Bb and will have a nice sound??
What do you meen there's a full exhaust on it you described it as standard You want a decat down pipe u have a sti so getting a propper uppipe will yield little gains. Replace the paper filter for a panel one and from there on your looking at turbo fmic etc thats why i said get everything you want before remap. You already have a quick car
Old 12 March 2016, 01:38 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Even the loudest most obnoxious exhaust the blitz has a middle resonator tho is to counter cabin drone. Do Not go straight threw unless you want loud as possible
Old 12 March 2016, 05:37 AM
Mark89dawson
Scooby Regular

Hi all, I'm new here and only recently purchased a 03 blobeye Sti PPP. I am looking to change the exhaust and want that real nice deep burble but not stupid loud. I plan on remapping the car along with few other things in due time. What would anyone advice me with?? And am I best going for full decat?
I have a 2003 sti with pop I've had the prodrive exhaust then a sports cat now a milltek full 3" decat and the pull with the full decat is mega 335 Bhp isn't a big increase at peak power but midrange it makes one heck of a difference it will drone to some degree no matter what you fit!

Last edited by Mark89dawson; 12 March 2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12 March 2016, 06:37 AM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

OK guys, for some of you who haven't had a read. I'm sure the op has said that he has a 2003 sti ppp. If it's a real ppp then it should have a 200 cel sports cat on it on the down pipe. No cat on the middle but think it has a silencer. I've had my 04 sti for nearly 10 years and I've tried different exhausts. If u have a family and ever do motorway driving then u will get a drowning sound from 2and a half /3 and a half k revs, if you fit full 3" turbo back system and also u will need a remap and then the cost keeps going up. Please please stick to prodrive down pipe and prodrive back box but change the centre pipe. It will give a nicer burble without making your hearing go :-). Good luck
Old 12 March 2016, 06:43 AM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

Ops forgot to say. As u will be mapping it, then get all your bits together first like. Pfr7b spark plugs. Make sure u have a 255 fuel pump or get a hrc one. 3 port boost solenoid.go for safe power not chasing numbers like I've been doing for 5 years. Don't do it bud.
Old 12 March 2016, 06:44 AM
Mark89dawson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b16msu265
OK guys, for some of you who haven't had a read. I'm sure the op has said that he has a 2003 sti ppp. If it's a real ppp then it should have a 200 cel sports cat on it on the down pipe. No cat on the middle but think it has a silencer. I've had my 04 sti for nearly 10 years and I've tried different exhausts. If u have a family and ever do motorway driving then u will get a drowning sound from 2and a half /3 and a half k revs, if you fit full 3" turbo back system and also u will need a remap and then the cost keeps going up. Please please stick to prodrive down pipe and prodrive back box but change the centre pipe. It will give a nicer burble without making your hearing go :-). Good luck
Have you driven one after a full decat and map? The response and power difference it makes is well worth the money yes you get a little drone at 2.5-3k but if you stick to a quiet brand you'll love it
Old 12 March 2016, 06:46 AM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

Yes that was the first thing I did lol. Quicker spool and was nice and loud and loved it but that was a long time ago. Also got to be careful of being pulled over nowadays by the boys in blue.
Old 12 March 2016, 08:42 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gone for a non res centre section but with a genome back box. Sounds perfect for me, and doesn't drone if I'm with the other half and kids.
Old 12 March 2016, 09:44 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I have a 3" bore powerflow exhaust, with non resonated centre pipe, no cabin drone at all. But has a large silencer on the rear.

I've also has a Jap system with and i'm sure it had slightly resonated centre pipe and had plenty of cabin drone.

Originally Posted by south_scoob
Even the loudest most obnoxious exhaust the blitz has a middle resonator tho is to counter cabin drone. Do Not go straight threw unless you want loud as possible
Old 13 March 2016, 04:24 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

^interesting I would have thought its more the downpipe and middle section responsible for drone and not the backbox. To be honest op will regret not unleashing the burble I think. Even with a full system you dont have to raise your voice to have a conversation on the motorway.
Its more off a soothing sound rather then annoying lol

Last edited by south_scoob; 13 March 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 15 March 2016, 03:06 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Best get some pictures up of whats on your car now?
Old 15 March 2016, 07:13 PM
Nicky Gormley
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies!! Anyone recommend any brands to go for?? What I have thought about doing now is buying a Hayward and Scott decat down pipe and centre section and using the Prodrive back box. Anyone any thought on this??
Old 15 March 2016, 07:37 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies!! Anyone recommend any brands to go for?? What I have thought about doing now is buying a Hayward and Scott decat down pipe and centre section and using the Prodrive back box. Anyone any thought on this??
That's pretty much a perfect set up it will be sounding good with no drone at cruising speed I had this set up previously and probably gonna go back to it
Old 15 March 2016, 08:38 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Sounds good but wouldn't you prefer sports cat?

Old 15 March 2016, 11:13 PM
Nicky Gormley
Scooby Newbie

What is the advantages of the sports cat??
As far as I'm aware my down pipe has been decatted and look is like just a piece of scaffolding or something similar was welded in 😒😒
Old 16 March 2016, 07:48 AM
Mark89dawson
Scooby Regular

What is the advantages of the sports cat??
As far as I'm aware my down pipe has been decatted and look is like just a piece of scaffolding or something similar was welded in 😒😒
theres no advantage of a cat unless your a tree or a polar bear, especially when under the bonnet right by the red hot turbo
As they get stupid hot too and raise the bonnet temps too high also they slow spool being so far upstream milltek used to do one for Lichfield with the cat in the centre pipe instead if you want a cat that's the system to have less heat under the bonnet and faster spool