ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What an experience!

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2016, 07:07 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Not sure why you edited my comment to read DowZZa there busta but hey ho ?
Shame a heads up want given if you saw it advertised on here after seeing and suspecting a dodgy ad on fb?
Also don't know why you would think the classic EJ20 is a poor engine? Plenty of good rebuild done with classic engines of done by a decent engine builder isn't there?
Eh, im confused dude. Edited you comment??

I never knew anything was dodgy so why would i give them heads up on anything i dont know?
I said i thought something was dodgy because it was for sale for ages, i never seen it, viewed it or anything so why would i mucky some for sale thread without any facts? (I just didnt like the guy selling it for beeing cheeky previously to me on fb)
Not sure what your implying here?

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 24 February 2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 24 February 2016, 07:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Ah i see what you meant by editing dozza name by adding a W.
Sorry that was not meant on purpose, must of tapped in wrong area when typing lol.
On phone so stuff gets written wrong and mistakes made.
Old 24 February 2016, 07:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
You only have to prove the fault was present before you bought the car. Also it is illegal to sell a car in an unroadworthy state, wheels not fitted correctly would class as unroadworthy.
Well the story thickens, a local lad sold the seller them wheels with said crack in them a while back.
He will update his story im soon enough im sure
Old 24 February 2016, 07:27 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Cool no worries busta,I just read it as you saw it in fb ages ago,thought it was dodgy,then saw it on here and didn't comment to your thoughts of it 'possibly' being a dodgy car.
I suppose I can understand if it was just your thoughts and not facts so this is why you didn't flag it up as a potential lemon.

Let's not make this into something,facts are that DoZZa had bought something that wasn't as how it was advertised(a good honest car).
I've been there and it's not a good feeling,but I'm hopeful that it is turned into a great car

Last edited by ossett2k2; 24 February 2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 24 February 2016, 07:29 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive seen wheels crackk before when powder coated ! Albeit hair line cracks but I guess if driven with a crack would get worse as in the pics..

Eitherway gutted for you mate.
Old 24 February 2016, 07:35 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Well the story thickens, a local lad sold the seller them wheels with said crack in them a while back.
He will update his story im soon enough im sure
Well maybe with this new info the buyer does have a case of being mis-sold? Possibly a good case for a full refund?
Old 24 February 2016, 07:35 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's exactly how i saw it, i just thought it to myself as to why its not been sold etc, me not liking the guy/kid for his cheekyness probably made me think haha, hes not sold it yet, maybe too cocky lol.

Yes im sure will make a great car, tbh theres not many cars out there that folk have bought thats needs to be corrected to their liking some way or another, but in this case clearly seller knew about the cracked wheel, so there is proof there for a case of misrepresentation.
You can take someone to court for that afaik
Old 24 February 2016, 07:37 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Well maybe with this new info the buyer does have a case of being mis-sold? Possibly a good case for a full refund?
Well in a good light of day, that would be the best news fir buyer or maybe refund of amount to rectify problems if seller want to keep car.
Im sure the guy whos wheels they were will pipe in soon enough.
Old 24 February 2016, 07:48 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one big thing that would have put me off straight away is the fact that some of the pictures of the car have been so heavily modified as in colours etc.... look at the 1st couple of pics in the for sale advert and you will see they are in completely different colours etc than some of the others.....

if I saw an advert like that I would want to know why some of the car looks stunning white and some looks dirty white etc.....

without everyone sending me PM messages drop me a PM as I may well be in a position to help you as I know many solicitors and garages etc and am more than happy to ask them how you can proceed and how you stand in recovering your money etc......
Old 24 February 2016, 07:50 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,I'm the lad who sold 'Adam ali' the wheels,they are genuine volks and it suffered the crack from a poor powdercoat job and hitting a pothole. To say I was gutted is an understatement...I loved these wheels. I was originally going to scrap the lot but 'adam' wanted them and originally wanted to get a replacement secondhand wheel and have them repainted.
He then changed his mind and said his brother could professionally weld it,thoroughout our conversations with full pictures and questions regarding the wheels I advised him of the risks but he was still willing to take the wheels....fair enough.
Got a reply a few weeks later saying the wheel had been done and "you can't tell there was any crack" and they were now bronze. Regarding the buckling,the wheels (when in my possession) were completely perfect bar the crack so something has happened to them after I sold them.
I'm shocked he's 'bodged' them,hopefully you can get your money back or some sort of resolution.
Andy
Old 24 February 2016, 07:53 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this.

I've possibly got a cheap Paul Finch forged motor with receipt and build sheet possibly up for sale if you want to pm me for details.

Only selling as my insurance has more than doubled recently.
Old 24 February 2016, 08:27 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chieftain333
Hi guys,I'm the lad who sold 'Adam ali' the wheels,they are genuine volks and it suffered the crack from a poor powdercoat job and hitting a pothole. To say I was gutted is an understatement...I loved these wheels. I was originally going to scrap the lot but 'adam' wanted them and originally wanted to get a replacement secondhand wheel and have them repainted.
He then changed his mind and said his brother could professionally weld it,thoroughout our conversations with full pictures and questions regarding the wheels I advised him of the risks but he was still willing to take the wheels....fair enough.
Got a reply a few weeks later saying the wheel had been done and "you can't tell there was any crack" and they were now bronze. Regarding the buckling,the wheels (when in my possession) were completely perfect bar the crack so something has happened to them after I sold them.
I'm shocked he's 'bodged' them,hopefully you can get your money back or some sort of resolution.
Andy
Old 24 February 2016, 09:06 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cruel world.
Old 24 February 2016, 09:38 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

If you need some one localish to Devon to check engine Phil Carter is ur man, he does all sorts of rebuilds etc

https://m.facebook.com/philip.carter.984
Old 24 February 2016, 09:51 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the plus side, the way type R prices are going it'll shortly be worth £8.5k even without an engine.
Old 24 February 2016, 09:53 PM
swrx2810
Scooby Regular

The only legal terms that cover a private sale contract are:

- the seller must have the right to sell the car
- the vehicle should match the description given by the seller
- the car must be roadworthy - it is a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy car and an MOT certificate from a test several months ago is no guarantee that the car is roadworthy today.
This is from the AA website (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...galrights.html).

From my understanding of what happened when you picked up the car you took it to the garage before completing your journey home, it was then they found the crack in the alloy and sever buckles which would warrant the car unsafe to drive. If you have a receipt from the garage, even ring them up and ask them to write a report on it, then that should be enough to take him to court.

I don't know a huge amount about the law but common sense says you don't have any grounds to sue with regards to the engine as that could come under "Buyer Beware" and "could of happened" on the journey home. But I definitely think there's a case on the cracked alloy, specially as you took the car to the garage almost straight from the purchase, can also ask the garage to confirm that it looked like someone had attempted to cover it up with mud.
Old 24 February 2016, 10:55 PM
Delwrx25
Scooby Regular

Bad news mate .. I drove from Glasgow too Suffolk four years ago to buy a widetrack blob that the guy described as mint on arrival it had a few car park dings nothing major, went for a passenger text drive felt nice and smooth.. Parked up and I get out he came round to my side and tried to keep their talking about the car then I ask to see service history to get the c6nt away from me so can look round it I open the drivers door and it dropped a bit so had a look and the paint look a bit flat.. Looked inside the shut and the door had been painted (blue door painted black) I never left until he rufunded my petrol money up and down for wasting my time .. I did have to mates with me though.. Point I was getting to is if you got the car checked when you were still in Birmingham why didn't u just go back?
Old 24 February 2016, 10:57 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash Webster
if i see any car with a HKS mushroom filter I usually avoid it straight away
Why is that nothing wrong with them i have one fitted to my type r which is for sale .
Old 24 February 2016, 11:21 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
dozza take it to derek aka matrix on here, he has rebuilt 4 engines at least including screechys type r 2.5cozzie lump, pm me if you need phone numbers
Thanks for this mate, I will get in touch with him tomorrow.

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I have some 16's with winter tyres on that you could borrow if you do get stuck. They won't win any beauty contests but at least they are not bent as a 3 bob note. You could get the car to the garage then and decide what you want to do from there.
Thanks very much for your kind offer, I have just ordered some new wheels that will be here on Friday, the tyres that are on the knackered wheels are actually brand new and seem fine, so they can go on the new wheels.

Originally Posted by chieftain333
Andy
Thanks very much for coming forward with this information. This information alone proves that the guy knowingly sold me an unroadworthy car.

With that in mind, I now have enough evidence to make a case against him in court.
Old 24 February 2016, 11:24 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

I must say that I am overwhelmed by all of the help and support I have received on ScoobyNet regarding this situation.

You guys have made a bad situation better, and I really do appreciate it.

I actually like the car, and if there is not too much work involved, I would like to make the car become the car I thought I was buying.
Old 25 February 2016, 12:04 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty75
Why is that nothing wrong with them i have one fitted to my type r which is for sale .
Poor flow and even worse filtaration, would switch to an apexi or a k&n
Old 25 February 2016, 12:06 AM
Codders
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that mate, but what's done is done.

There's always a risk when buying a second hand car and a lot of dishonest crowd out there as well. It's always best to take someone knowledgable with you when viewing as 2 pairs of eyes gives more chance to spot potential issues...

I'd kindly ask the guy to refund you the amount you had to spend on the new wheels, as clearly he was aware of the crack and didn't disclose it. You have enough evidence regarding this fact even from chieftain333's post alone.

There's a chance the engine is just fine, if bottom end goes, it's usually can be heard when slightly revving up from idle on cold.
It could be just the usual subaru piston slap. I think I would have Enginetuner to look at it, as you can't go wrong with Alan and Martyn.

Best of luck with the Type-R.. they are awesome cars.

Last edited by Codders; 25 February 2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 25 February 2016, 12:10 AM
Codders
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by banny sti
As above, HKS mushroom filters ain't called "stone catchers" for no reason

Edit: I actually found some pics from the comparison test for filtration and performance. It's in japanese but the filtration result can be seen in the bottom left corner of each pic.

HKS:

Apexi:

Last edited by Codders; 25 February 2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 25 February 2016, 12:14 AM
Delwrx25
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Total keek I turned up with 1 for a map and my mapper actually gave me a k&n typhone so he could map my car properly he said lol either that or he was looking to punt the k&n
Old 25 February 2016, 12:23 AM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Hi! This is pretty shocking to hear as i've traded with 'Adam Ali' a few times, he's often selling parts and is pretty clued up so he's obviously trying to pull a fast one here.
BUT! I doubt a foobar bottom end would have got you 200miles, especially if you were giving it the big un!
There are lots of things that can sound like a knocky bottom end. i.e. exhaust knocking against gearbox or cradle, wastegate penny flaping in the breeze, piston slap which is most noticable when engine is cold etc etc
One of mine sounded pretty bad when I bought it (gave it a ridiculous amount of abuse on the test drive so i was 100% sure it wasnt going to crap itself after i'd paid for it), got it home, did an oil change using high quality correct grade and that sorted the noise!
Fingers crossed for you
Old 25 February 2016, 01:13 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Codders
As above, HKS mushroom filters ain't called "stone catchers" for no reason

Edit: I actually found some pics from the comparison test for filtration and performance. It's in japanese but the filtration result can be seen in the bottom left corner of each pic.

HKS:

Apexi:

This might be the reason the car is running rough, if that type of dirt is getting on the MAF, am I right in thinking that it could cause rough running issues?

Originally Posted by tom-r33
Hi! This is pretty shocking to hear as i've traded with 'Adam Ali' a few times, he's often selling parts and is pretty clued up so he's obviously trying to pull a fast one here.
BUT! I doubt a foobar bottom end would have got you 200miles, especially if you were giving it the big un!
There are lots of things that can sound like a knocky bottom end. i.e. exhaust knocking against gearbox or cradle, wastegate penny flaping in the breeze, piston slap which is most noticable when engine is cold etc etc
One of mine sounded pretty bad when I bought it (gave it a ridiculous amount of abuse on the test drive so i was 100% sure it wasnt going to crap itself after i'd paid for it), got it home, did an oil change using high quality correct grade and that sorted the noise!
Fingers crossed for you
Are we talking about the same person here. I have tried a Google search for "Adam Ali" but none of the info I have found indicates that its the same person.

If someone could post a link to this Adam Ali facebook or other social page then please do.

I drove the car home at 50mph all the way, it took forever!!! So no, not at anytime did I give the car any beans, I dont even know what the car provides on full boost.
Old 25 February 2016, 01:15 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

There are more lies in the sellers advert that I have discovered this evening.

He states Focal front mids and tweeters, and Focal 6x9 speakers in the rear. Well guess what, there are no Focal speakers in the car at all! Front speakers look standard and the rear speakers are actually Carrozzeria shelf mounted speakers.

He also states four different boost settings for the car, but I dont see how to change the map on the Apexi Power FC, in fact I am pretty sure that the Apexi does not support selectable maps, I had one in a classic wagon a couple of years ago, and never saw any options for selectable maps.

Also there are mentions of another BOV being included, also a boost controller. None of which are present anywhere in the car.

Really makes me wonder what else on the sellers list is missing from the car.

Im still kicking myself for letting myself be tucked up like this! Never, ever again!!!
Old 25 February 2016, 02:52 AM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure I remember 4 different settings on an old one I had with a Power FC, have a look on here.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/manuals/ele...cs/414m907.pdf

Maybe see if someone local can come out and do a compression/leak down test to put your mind at ease about the engine whilst your sorting the wheels?
Old 25 February 2016, 07:41 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont think its Adam Ali, Ive traded on FB with that guy and thats not his profile.
Old 25 February 2016, 08:01 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Dont think its Adam Ali, Ive traded on FB with that guy and thats not his profile.
Well he must be connected as hes busy threatening to those that talk out
So obviously reading this but busy hiding because he knows hes been found out.
What a *****!

Quick Reply: What an experience!