Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoob noob - hopefully soon to be owner.

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2016, 07:44 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoob noob - hopefully soon to be owner.

Hi all,

Just registered, albeit with a typo in my username. I've spotted a v6 type r that I'm interested in and am about to put a deposit down on.
http://www.ib-e.co.uk/our-stock/suba...ving-japan.htm
Just wondering what better Subaru educated people think about it. I think the price seems about right for a fresh import?
Any advice appreciated, and comments on I.B.E if anyone has experience of them. Only seen one review, enough thankfully was a glowing one.
Old 21 February 2016, 07:57 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

That's an awful lot of money in my opinion.
Old 21 February 2016, 07:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Tidy....but VERY expensive for a 17 year old car!
Old 21 February 2016, 08:32 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice looking car,a little on the expensive side.
I'm not saying I've heard anything bad about this place but,I would definitely get full proof of mileage and a look at the auction sheet.
Old 21 February 2016, 08:44 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. The price may be a bit high, but I'm struggling to find a like for like to compare. Torque GT had a couple of v6 type rs come on their auction list with guide price of £14000, but with 30,000 miles on the clock. They do seem to be going up in value?
I've been in conversation with them and the car has been serviced, timing belt and water pump done before shipping and he'll send the auction sheet and history once it's in the UK.
Old 21 February 2016, 08:54 PM
STI -V4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks a nice example - not keen on the front bumper but otherwise looks well tidy and good price as you rightly say they are increasing in price and even becoming hard to come by good examples in Japan.
Old 21 February 2016, 08:54 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jamrsm2603
Hi all. Thanks for the replies. The price may be a bit high, but I'm struggling to find a like for like to compare. Torque GT had a couple of v6 type rs come on their auction list with guide price of £14000, but with 30,000 miles on the clock. They do seem to be going up in value?
I've been in conversation with them and the car has been serviced, timing belt and water pump done before shipping and he'll send the auction sheet and history once it's in the UK.
Your problem is buying from a trader, they are the reason prices are sky high at present. They hover above the forum classifieds waiting for cars to come up for sale, swoop in and buy them, then stick a few £k on the selling price.....Its happened loads on this forum as well as overs.

Eighteen months ago that car would of been roughly £3.5k less than it is now and its peoples willingness to pay well over the odd's for a car the reason the prices are so high. In terms of what you get for your money(especially with that Type R) You get a lot more car with a Newage STI.

One thing to take into consideration with that Version 6 Type R is the cost of mapping for UK fuel, roughly £550 for Ecutek mapping.

Last edited by jayallen; 21 February 2016 at 08:56 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 21 February 2016, 08:57 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I was you I would look to get that done by them here in the UK with proof or discounted in the price and get it done yourself for piece of mind.
Otherwise it IS a good price for a fresh import V6 IMO.

Raf
Old 21 February 2016, 09:13 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RAF1
If I was you I would look to get that done by them here in the UK with proof or discounted in the price and get it done yourself for piece of mind.
Otherwise it IS a good price for a fresh import V6 IMO.

Raf
If, like they say, their Japan team have done it prior to shipping, proof of that should be enough, surely?

Originally Posted by jayallen
Your problem is buying from a trader, they are the reason prices are sky high at present. They hover above the forum classifieds waiting for cars to come up for sale, swoop in and buy them, then stick a few £k on the selling price.....Its happened loads on this forum as well as overs.

Eighteen months ago that car would of been roughly £3.5k less than it is now and its peoples willingness to pay well over the odd's for a car the reason the prices are so high. In terms of what you get for your money(especially with that Type R) You get a lot more car with a Newage STI.

One thing to take into consideration with that Version 6 Type R is the cost of mapping for UK fuel, roughly £550 for Ecutek mapping.
Unfortunately, due to needing to sell a car to fund my 1st Impreza, and having difficulty doing so, buying through a trader seems to be my only option.
I see what you're saying about the new age STis, but they just don't do it for me as much as the 2 door body, although I do like a nice hawk.
As regards the mapping, am I right in thinking the v6 ECUs can be remapped. The trader has said that it has been done to run 99 RON fuel.

Originally Posted by STI -V4
Looks a nice example - not keen on the front bumper but otherwise looks well tidy and good price as you rightly say they are increasing in price and even becoming hard to come by good examples in Japan.
I'll be honest, I'm not keen on the front bumper either, but that can soon be sorted.
Old 21 February 2016, 09:25 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

As regards the mapping, am I right in thinking the v6 ECUs can be remapped. The trader has said that it has been done to run 99 RON fuel.
Yes the stock ecu can be mapped via Ecutek, the other option is a stand alone ecu.

If you're about to drop the best part of £10k on that Type R then you'd be mad to just except the traders say so that its been mapped for UK fuel and had the belt done without any proof. You'll be lucky to get change out of £1100 if you had to pay yourself fella.
Old 21 February 2016, 09:32 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yes the ECU is mappable,strange that the trader has said it's already been mapped in Japan for 99ron. Totally possible tho i suppose? I would want proof of that too tho or get a map check done when/if you get it.
Old 21 February 2016, 09:33 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jayallen
Yes the stock ecu can be mapped via Ecutek, the other option is a stand alone ecu.

If you're about to drop the best part of £10k on that Type R then you'd be mad to just except the traders say so that its been mapped for UK fuel and had the belt done without any proof. You'll be lucky to get change out of £1100 if you had to pay yourself fella.
Thanks for confirming that.

Absolutely. There is no way I'd just accept their word for it. If I go ahead, I've made sure it's on the understanding that my deposit is refundable and all proof of work carried out and auction sheet will be sent to me once the car lands, as the paper work is in the car.
Old 21 February 2016, 09:35 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Whilst I think about it. With it supposedly being mapped to 99 RON fuel, what company sells 99 RON? Shell v power and the like are only 97 aren't they?
Old 21 February 2016, 09:36 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

They will have pictures of the auction sheet and paperwork,just get them to email it onto you,I'm sure they won't mind
Old 21 February 2016, 09:37 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Absolutely. There is no way I'd just accept their word for it. If I go ahead, I've made sure it's on the understanding that my deposit is refundable and all proof of work carried out and auction sheet will be sent to me once the car lands, as the paper work is in the car.
You should be able to get auction sheet emailed straightaway as once car goes through the ,the grade sheet is there to see and anyone who buys a car 'tends' to save it onto there computer as they do with the car pics when going through.. Well thats what I do anyway!
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Whilst I think about it. With it supposedly being mapped to 99 RON fuel, what company sells 99 RON? Shell v power and the like are only 97 aren't they?
Vpower 99 and tesco99
jayallen
Scooby Regular

So the car isn't even in the country? It definitely wouldn't of been mapped then.

I'm not being funny but it appears to me the trader is prepared to tell you what you want to hear to secure a sale.
Old 21 February 2016, 09:48 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Japan has 101/102 RON fuel to my knowledge so dont think it would be mapped in Japan for lower grade fuel!!
Old 21 February 2016, 09:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cannot see it having been remapped already if it has not even been loaded onto the boat yet.

It does look clean, but then it can be hard to tell just from pictures sometimes especially if they have had the touch up pen out.

Welcome to the site btw.
Old 21 February 2016, 09:52 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Really appreciate the help and honesty, guys, as I really am new to this and finding it all a bit scary! Looks like I've got a bit of digging to do tomorrow.
I guess I could still put the £250 deposit down, and if he can't come up with the goods when it lands, demand it gets done plus proof, or withdraw from the deal?
What sort of proof would be provided of the fuel mapping?

Edit: Apparently it is on its way, about 2 weeks away. But I see your point about the mapping.

Last edited by jamesm2603; 21 February 2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 21 February 2016, 10:01 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very little proof I would imagine. A mapper over here will be able to see if the ecu has been reflashed though.
Old 21 February 2016, 10:04 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

That sounds like a plan. Obviously whoever maps it will give an invoice for it being done and if the garage gets it done just speak to whoever did it to confirm.
Old 21 February 2016, 10:06 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Dyno run sheet,afr graph but as said highly unlikely to have been mapped already.
Get them to take it for a check to a tuner,or budget for this and pay to get it checked if you buy it.
Needs doing tho.
Old 21 February 2016, 10:16 PM
jamesm2603
Scooby Newbie

Once again, really appreciate everyone's time and help. At the very least I'm a bit more educated to be able to grill them and ask for proof of the right things now!
Old 21 February 2016, 10:18 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Good luck with it all
Old 21 February 2016, 10:22 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Tesco Momentum I use and its 99, thought V Power was 98?
Old 21 February 2016, 10:28 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StiX
Tesco Momentum I use and its 99, thought V Power was 98?
Optimax was 98
Vpower nitro+ is 99
Old 21 February 2016, 11:11 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ah ok - don't use V power anymore as it's only sold in my local motorway services, hence big bucks
Old 22 February 2016, 12:21 AM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 16 April 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 22 February 2016, 11:54 AM
Kam B
Scooby Regular

Just to add that is very strong. It isnt even a ltd either.

I was speaking to an importer last week and he offered a v6 type r v ltd bone stock landed in the UK and reg'd for 8k, may be worth bringing one in if you can wait 8 weeks

Quick Reply: Scoob noob - hopefully soon to be owner.