Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

PIAA Silicone Wipers - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2016, 07:13 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Question PIAA Silicone Wipers - any good?

My wipers have just about had it, are these worth the extra?
Old 29 January 2016, 09:57 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I fitted a set a month ago, and in my opinion they're well worth the extra.
Old 29 January 2016, 10:08 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% yes....

I have used so many makes of wipers like most people but since fitting these I am very impressed... not only quiet they clear the screen with one wipe across

get them and enjoy the view...
Old 29 January 2016, 10:14 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set couple of weeks ago, literally night and day better. I'll not buy any others again.

Last edited by Pross; 29 January 2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 29 January 2016, 10:44 PM
Yoxi675
Scooby Newbie

Got em on my car. Top quality
Old 29 January 2016, 11:40 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Fitted a set six and a half years ago need I say any more, as good as the day I fitted them.
Old 30 January 2016, 08:11 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

as above the life they offer far outweighs the extra cost in our experience............

carry in stock Keith
Old 30 January 2016, 08:27 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AS Performance
as above the life they offer far outweighs the extra cost in our experience............

carry in stock Keith
This, I used to change wipers every six months, used all well known brands but they always used to squeak after a short period, annoyed the hell out of me. Had PiAA on over a year and they are still quiet, still perform well.

They also leave a film of silicone over the screen which helps the water bead and run off with the wind deflection, so you find that sometimes you don't even need to put the wipers on.
Old 30 January 2016, 08:35 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Best wipers I've had. Well worth the extra IMO.
Old 30 January 2016, 08:54 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AS Performance

carry in stock Keith
Great, keep me a set for when I bring the car in Alyn.
Old 30 January 2016, 09:03 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

How much is a set of these for a Hawk?
Old 30 January 2016, 10:27 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy

They also leave a film of silicone over the screen which helps the water bead and run off with the wind deflection, so you find that sometimes you don't even need to put the wipers on.
Nah - I bought 2 sets at the same time. One for my car and one for Dad's. I was very sceptical of this claim as I was sure that the "special" window cleaning wipe they came with was actually infused with Rain-X or similar!
I didn't use the wipe on Dad's car and did they help the water bead due to an invisible layer of silicon? Did they ****!
They are good wipers but I just tend to stick Bosch ones on and use Rain-X
Old 30 January 2016, 10:53 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome wipers about £45 I think when I bought my last set
Old 30 January 2016, 04:25 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Has anyone fitted the Super Sporza? I have Bosch Aero-Twin fitted and have no complaints with the blades performance on the windscreen. The problem is the stupid little spoiler on the arm doesn't provide anything like sufficient downforce, meaning they lift from the screen at m-way speeds.

So you are left with the situation of having a supreme all-weather vehicle that limits you to 60mph when it's raining....because you can't actually see where you are going....
Old 30 January 2016, 05:43 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Nah - I bought 2 sets at the same time. One for my car and one for Dad's. I was very sceptical of this claim as I was sure that the "special" window cleaning wipe they came with was actually infused with Rain-X or similar!
I didn't use the wipe on Dad's car and did they help the water bead due to an invisible layer of silicon? Did they ****!
They are good wipers but I just tend to stick Bosch ones on and use Rain-X
They do exactly what I said on my car.
Old 30 January 2016, 05:58 PM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

They do exactly what I said on my car.
That's probably because you followed the instructions
Old 30 January 2016, 05:58 PM
XTY
Scooby Regular

I fitted a set about 3 weeks ago as I had an annoying squeak if it wasn't raining that heavy issue all sorted really happy
Old 30 January 2016, 08:48 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sad Weevil
That's probably because you followed the instructions
Yes, it's the blade that leaves the film on not the cleaning wipe. I used the wipe, and cleaned every inch of the screen, but the beading only happens on the area of glass covered by the blades wiping the screen. If I wash the car the blade pattern immediately beads.
Old 30 January 2016, 09:23 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Yes, it's the blade that leaves the film on not the cleaning wipe. I used the wipe, and cleaned every inch of the screen, but the beading only happens on the area of glass covered by the blades wiping the screen. If I wash the car the blade pattern immediately beads.
Don't use the wipe next time and report back
Old 30 January 2016, 09:49 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Don't use the wipe next time and report back
I've never used rain-x or the like, does it work for over a year or would it need re applying in that time?
Old 30 January 2016, 10:02 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Just looked on rain x website, which states that rain x can last 2-3 weeks to several months depending on conditions, so the fact that my windscreen still beads the same as it did after the wipers were first used a few times blows that theory out of the water.
Old 30 January 2016, 10:13 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Just looked on rain x website, which states that rain x can last 2-3 weeks to several months depending on conditions, so the fact that my windscreen still beads the same as it did after the wipers were first used a few times blows that theory out of the water.
Like I say - I never used the wipe on the old boys car and it didn't bead anywhere close to mine. I last used rain-X on my car in October and could probably do with it again.
Maybe it's true that they do leave a layer of silicon on the screen but you can be **** sure that it only works in conjunction with the wipe.
They are great wipers but not sure if they are cost justified.
Old 30 January 2016, 11:06 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

Had these fitted while having my car serviced at scoobyworld a couple of years back. Have outlasted any I've had previously and will definitely be replacing them with the same. Great wipers!
Old 30 January 2016, 11:12 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Like I say - I never used the wipe on the old boys car and it didn't bead anywhere close to mine. I last used rain-X on my car in October and could probably do with it again.
Maybe it's true that they do leave a layer of silicon on the screen but you can be **** sure that it only works in conjunction with the wipe.
They are great wipers but not sure if they are cost justified.
I would say they are justified, I paid £38 for mine (I think!) and have had them on over a year. No matter what blades I used, six months and they would squeak, so that's two sets a year. Several people on here have said they have had the same set of piaa on their car for five, six, even seven years. That is quite cost effective if you ask me. And they don't squeak, even in the dry!
Old 09 February 2016, 12:51 AM
ricodjs
Scooby Regular

Default PIAA SuperSporza

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
Has anyone fitted the Super Sporza? I have Bosch Aero-Twin fitted and have no complaints with the blades performance on the windscreen. The problem is the stupid little spoiler on the arm doesn't provide anything like sufficient downforce, meaning they lift from the screen at m-way speeds.

So you are left with the situation of having a supreme all-weather vehicle that limits you to 60mph when it's raining....because you can't actually see where you are going....
technopug, yes, I've got the Super Sporzas.
PIAA are very good wipers although I've found the most recent pair haven't lasted quite as well as previously. The spoilers hold them down even under "hard driving" on the track, of course....
I am now seeing some smearing/leakage but that's as they near the end of their life after nearly a year.
They are expensive but I think they're worth it. If you rain X your window too, it's probably a winning combo.
Even though they advertise a "silicon layer" which is spread by the blade, I'm a little dubious as to the long lasting effects and have had good results combining the two.
Many others will swear they can see the beading effects with just the blade, I remain to be convinced of how strong this effect is.
Summary: Yes, Super Sporzas work well at speed and the PIAA wiper is good and, I think, worth the money.
Old 09 February 2016, 07:44 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The PIAA are OK but not ground breaking. All windscreen sweep areas develop a "bead area" overtime. But a combination of Rain X and decent wipers will give the same effect.
I have used PIAA, BOSCH, Lucas and currently use Michelin Flat Blades from COSTCO, currently @ £11 a pair.
Old 07 September 2016, 08:56 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ricodjs
technopug, yes, I've got the Super Sporzas.
PIAA are very good wipers although I've found the most recent pair haven't lasted quite as well as previously. The spoilers hold them down even under "hard driving" on the track, of course....
I am now seeing some smearing/leakage but that's as they near the end of their life after nearly a year.
They are expensive but I think they're worth it. If you rain X your window too, it's probably a winning combo.
Even though they advertise a "silicon layer" which is spread by the blade, I'm a little dubious as to the long lasting effects and have had good results combining the two.
Many others will swear they can see the beading effects with just the blade, I remain to be convinced of how strong this effect is.
Summary: Yes, Super Sporzas work well at speed and the PIAA wiper is good and, I think, worth the money.
Thread resurrection. I've bought a set of the PIAA Sporzas, specifically for the spoilers as I find that normal wipers lift at m-way speeds. If you get the Subaru designated set, they list them as 22" and 16". However, they don't make a Sporza (spoilered wiper) in 16". So you end of with a spoiler on the driver's side but not on the passenger's. So I bought a 22" and an 18" (which does come with a spoiler) and they both fit fine (about 1" gap). Haven't had any rain to test them properly yet though.
Old 08 September 2016, 03:34 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

My PIAA's have been on my car for years and they are great.

Mine definitely bead. It was raining lightly the other day and whilst I would normally have my wipers on in my other car (2014 Audi A3) I had no need as the water was just running off.

Part of the "trick" is to run the wiper blades on a clean and dry windscreen for a couple of minutes. It's this procedure that leaves the silicon layer from the dry blades going over the glass. The wipe is simply an alcohol wipe to remove as much dirt and grease from the glass.

It's in the instructions.
Old 09 September 2016, 06:50 PM
BIGEMP
Scooby Regular

Great wipers always had them on my scoobies have just listed a new pair for sale in the car parts section
Old 09 September 2016, 08:35 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Use PIAA wiper blades on my GT-R R35 & they're very good!

Quick Reply: PIAA Silicone Wipers - any good?