Sponsored by:

Test Drove New M3

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 10:08 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Today I finally got to drive the new M3. Some might be interested, so I thought I'd post my thoughts. Judjing me the other on here that are looking at the car

Looks

Maybe Ive seen too many photos, but in the flesh in Laguna Seca Blue and Carbon Black, I didnt think it had lots more impact than the 330Coupe on 18" wheels. Need to find a colour that makes it look muscular.

Interior

The seat are superb. Rest of the interior is just like any 330.

Engine/ Performance / Handling

The exhaust note when you open it up and give it some revs is great. Maybe not as good as a Scoobysport on an Impreza, but the best Ive heard from a factory exhaust system. Should of remembered it didnt have a turbo. Untill 4000rpm it felt very flat, even with Sport mode selected (that does make a big difference). After that it took off. It never really had the major push in the back as say in my P1, but it was a lot more linear. At a couple of points I was thinking that it didnt feel that quick, then I looked at the speedo. On a bumpy twisty A/B road, we were near 6 figures !!. It was effortless. What was stunning was how superb the ride was over rough roads. It took all the bumps in its stride, and at points it was as if they were not there. Went round a couple of roundabouts and gave it full throttle. It does grip, and you can feel the diff working. After that point the DSC light comes on and sorts it out. The DSC is nowhere near as violent as the ESP on some other cars like my current S3. Took the engine upto 8,000 rpm, and it had a little more to go, however 7,500-8,000 felt and sounded like the natural change point. But this engine need revs.

Brakes

Very sharp, but great feel. Never really got to see if they faded.

Back to my S3

Up untill that point I was very impressed with the M3, but not really sure it was worth the extra. Then I drove my S3 back to work on the same roads. At this point I realised how spongy my S3's brakes really were. Worse though how bad the suspension really is compared to the M3 (I think the S3 has a pretty good setup to start with). My S3 was crashing and unsettled, where the M3 felt like the road was smooth. The pace the M3 has over an S3 on A/B roads is quiet large. It has a lot less roll as well. Audi need to hire their chassis engineers now.
Compared to my old P1 I have to say it was still ahead in terms of ride & handling. Speed wise obviously its pretty similar to a P1/STI. What did seem slow was the pull at mid to high speeds in 6th. At that point I would say the P1 would of pulled away. However as I wasnt experimenting at 120 plus speeds, I dont know what it would be like then.

Do not buy an M3 if you stick to the speed limits. I now see why it has such good reviews.

Jonathan

Old 10 May 2001, 01:12 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

6 figures (gotta get me one of these)
Old 10 May 2001, 06:40 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Chinny Boy,

Audi did indeed hire BMWs lead engineer in chassis development, specifically to fix the new Audi A4!

Have you driven a 330CI Sport - 'cos that is very special (even for a Beem)? Is the M3 like a bigger hearted version of it - or is there even more?

R
Old 10 May 2001, 06:48 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Rannoch

Yes I have driven the 330Ci Sport. For me the M3 moves it on a stage further than the 330 I drove. With the M3, you could boot it more on roundabouts and feel the diff they have fitted. With the 330, I was a lot more cautious. Some of this was due to the lack of feel through the wheel. I have to say that I didnt think I would bond with a car as quickly as the M3. I would of been very happy if I'd come away from the test drive thinking it was no better than my S3 or the 330. Just think of the money I could save !!.

It will be interesting to see how close the 330 is to the M3 with the revised steering and suspension. It will still miss the exhaust note, but there has to be some aftermarket units to sort that.

Jonathan
Old 10 May 2001, 07:47 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I too have had a long drive in an M3 as my brother works for BMW & has one as a demonstrator.
His is in Mustard yellow with 19inch alloys option. It looks fantastic in that colour. I think the M3 suits lighter colours rather than darker ones.
Performance : Up to about 120 nothing in it between my STi really though as mentioned it really is a very different power delivery.
Ride/Handling : Much better than my STi - although mine is standard suspension & probably not best suited to UK roads.
Engineering/Quality : Streets ahead (but hey - Subaru are not known for their quality finish !)
Loads of looks from people - fine if you like that sort of thing.
I too have driven a 330Ci & felt the M3 worth the extra ££.
Anyway - my journey to work is 8 miles each way of back road so cannot justify it......

Ro.
Old 10 May 2001, 08:46 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There is a good article in this months Car magazine, comparing the M3 with the Evo VII. I think the general opinion was that the M3 was deceptively quick, but the Evo VII was the more capable car. Not a great deal in it really (apart from about £8000 cost).

Chris
Old 10 May 2001, 09:14 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want from the car though.

On long motorway journeys, the M3 will probably be the better cruiser. Its also bigger and carries people in more comfort with more luggage (which is where the 8k goes!!).

I _love_ the RB5 but after repeated complaints from my wife (and my back!) about the ride and uncomfortable seats after long journeys, I have been thinking about changing sometime. Only alternative is really an M3 (or M5 if I get really silly!).

I'm also doing a lot of motorway driving at the moment and the RB5 isn't exactly a refined cruiser - but then, that's why I like it when I hit the B roads!!

Decisions eh
Old 10 May 2001, 09:33 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Agree with Jonathon about the looks.

Local dealer has got one in black, and you need to double take to check what it is. Vents on wings help though.

Reckon the titanium or silver is the best colour by miles for these.

Surprised the accelration didn't feel all that at high speed - would've thought that was where it would pull away from a Scoob?

Wouldn't/couldn't swap my STi for one, but I'd love one nevertheless.
Old 10 May 2001, 09:46 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

At dealer this morning, they had a silver one - looked fabulous. Very 'old muscle car'. Looked a foot wider than the normal coupe (but isn't). Aggressive and wide - mmmmm! Sounded good as it turned up, but not as good as the Z8 that was being moved!!!!!
Old 10 May 2001, 02:09 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kryten:
<B>Its also bigger and carries people in more comfort with more luggage[/quote]

Until BMW wise up and make a decent-sized M car they won't get my money. Audi may be a long way behind BMW in terms of handling, but at least they make performance estates.

Of course Subaru were the winners in performance estates (in terms of value for money), but as Audi have hired BMW's chassis engineers, Subaru need to hire BMW's body designers!

BTW I tried to get a test drive of a 330i Tourer, but my dealer only had a 330 coupe so I drove that instead. I thought it was a boring car, not very fast and had a bucket of nails in place of a gearbox!
Old 10 May 2001, 03:58 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Bored and with a 2 hour wait in an airport lounge. Car Magazine has a very good article as Chris mentions. I read the conclusion slightly differently

"The EVO, if anything is too fast, too soon. With such blistering speed and spooky cornering power you soon hit the buffers of visibility and road safety wwhile the car is reaady for more. Which is why, driven with concentration, the mighty M3 keeps up, despite its weight and slower steering. And with the noise and throttle response, the overtaking power, the interior, the BMW is so much more besides"

"the EVO VII really is an alternative to the M3. Congratulations, youve just saved eight grand. But if you can afford the M3, BMW spend that extra money very well indeed"

Jonathan
Old 10 May 2001, 06:04 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had a test drive in an M3 last weekend, 8:30am on country roads I know very well.
Frankly I was disappointed.
The car looked great and the fit and finish were superb. If I compare it with my current car MY00 LINK Scoobysport AP brakes it is far more refined, but it wasn't 'fun'.
Brakes over servoed
Steering no feel at all, they have obviously valved the power steering so that it increases the resistance as you turn in but you don't mistake this for 'feel'
Driving position too high - sitting on the car rather than in it, despite moving the seats to their lowest position.
Overall it only felt faster than my Scoob after 80mph which isn't really that often in the real world.
I do 25-30 track days a year and would feel uncomfortable hooning it around a circuit.
When I got back in the Scoob, you could feel what the car was doing, it didn;t feel as numb.
M3 felt like a very fast Golf
Old 10 May 2001, 07:55 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Cool

chins
so, are u getting the m3, or are u gonna go with one of the other cars you have on order
i get my 330ci sport on 27th may. i dont miss the my00 at all to be honest. our my95 is the better car anyway.i'm buzzing around in the 318ti compact at the mo, its quite a giggle really, especially as its free
after seeing the blue m3 on top gear, my deposit will go in for one the day i pick the 330 up.however, i will order the smg version.interestingly, the 330 is quicker to 100mph than the new wrx. all i can remember when i first test drove the 330ci is that it didnt feel THAT much slower than my ppp'd car.
if the m3 is as well put together as the 330, and has more performance still, i have no hesitation ordering one.
Old 10 May 2001, 08:37 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

There was a glowing report of the Series II SMG gearbox on the M3 in last week's Autocar.

Apparently the best roadcar clutchless manual ever - twice as fast as that on the Ferrari 360 and very easy to live with.

they reckon 40-60% of new M3s will have this fitted once prospective owners get to try them out.
Old 10 May 2001, 09:25 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Spudgun

I'm still going for the M3, but will probably have something in between

I'm suprised at Daveers comments, as the M3 in EVO EPR test scored more than the new EVO VII, was 1 sec quicker from 0-100-0. Was quicker on the dry handling test, had more lateral G, and was quicker on TED. You must have one special car there.

It is easily the best car Ive driven, I loved the feel through the wheel, the engine note etc. Its certainly a notch above the P1, but then it costs a load more so it should be. Its just too much of a license looser.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 08:21 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dippy:
<B> Until BMW wise up and make a decent-sized M car they won't get my money. Audi may be a long way behind BMW in terms of handling, but at least they make performance estates.

[/quote]

BMW have been making perfromance estates for longer than Audi. The mk 2 M5 was available as a 'touring' - but LHD only and the new M3 & M5 will be available as a touring 'within 12 months'

IMO the 'tourings' have always looked better than the saloons - hence why my 330d is a touring

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 08:52 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jonathan,

you say the M3 costs loads more than a P1 therefore it should be better.

You have lost me there - didn't you have a WR spec P1 - so that'll be £38K plus thank you very much.

Just think what you get for standard in the M3 for £38.5k

I am also intrigued by your 330CI comments - I have a premodified 330Ci Sport and although the steering is too light, I still find it very accurate, although not as lively as the STi (which also has very light steering). I am still seeking to get BMW to retrofit it - as I took early delivery of my 330 and was not advised that I may suffer for this

R
Old 11 May 2001, 09:11 AM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Red face

I can't see how one can compare the M3 to an Impreza. Yes the Impreza is a very quick car, but as standard does it handle as well as the standard M3?? are the standard brakes up to the job, I think not! The quality of the M3 is in another league, and frankly I'm sick of the rattles eminating from the Impreza. This is why my P1 is going and I've ordered an M3
Old 11 May 2001, 09:16 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

I think that if you secured the nodding dogs on the rear shelf better, then a lot of your rattles would go away Andy.
Before selling i would also recommend removing the windshield sun strip saying "Andy's P1".
Old 11 May 2001, 11:21 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

As the wife and I are planning for babies in autumn the Elise111S will have to go towards christmas, as it would be useless with three of us. I have a BMW330 as company car which is my wifes car to all effects, and as replacement for my car I have already tested anything with a back seat I could get my hands on. Well, the M3 was a little too similar to the 330 which we will keep as her car, and too plush to take it weekend bashing on a track or mountain roads, for my tastes anyway. 996 just too expensive, I'd be afraid taking it on a track, and the back seat will only fit kids if they never grow past age 1. New STI (grey) was not very special IMHO, and looksfeels soft. EVO VI was great, so I've decided I'm going for the EVO VII, which arrives here in Italy with perfect timing in OctoberNovember.
If the VI is anything to go buy it's more raw experience then the M3, which is what I want, very very fast, fun enough and bare enough to throw around a track and mountain roads, but plush and big enough to have the kid(s) in the back and the pram in the boot. Way rarer than the BM too, 4wd for snow and dirt, and well different from the 330 we already have.

Wall
Old 11 May 2001, 02:24 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Rannoch

I never took my P1 to full WR spec. Only the exhaust and brakes. I understand where you are coming from, but as said before, the actual cost of a WR was not 38k after selling the bits off. Also not many people will spend 38k on the M3, more like over 40 after some options.

With regards to the steering on the 330. I just felt it gave very little feedback, and was too light. If that part of the car had been better, I might be driving a 330 now and not an S3. I dont disagree thats it not accurate. As mentioned above BMW realise its not great on the 330, hence the changes to steering and chassis.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 07:41 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chins:
<B>Also not many people will spend 38k on the M3, more like over 40 after some options.
[/quote]

The new M3 comes pretty much fully loaded with every extra you would possibly want. Unless you want 19" wheels, Sat-Nav or the SMG II gearbox.

Also if you get it imported from Europe (like many people from the UK are) it will cost less than £38,500.
Old 11 May 2001, 11:35 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a brief look at the M3 this week and was slightly disappointed with its "tame" looks. Very similar to 330, only the wheels looking really special (classy). The boot lip spoiler looks pretty insipid though. Car was driven away for a booked test drive by others, and it didn't sound particularly impressive (not as fruity as P1), plus the saleswomen "screamed" it down the road without any warm-up (poor person who buys this demonstrator!).

In terms of price, £38,500 gets you most except CD (+£250), HIFI speaker system (+£470), Tracker (+£434)otherwise extras are superfluous (electric backrest width adjustment!? etc.).

I wanted a test drive, but I was quoted at least 3 weeks waiting list!!! Sales service was pretty shoddy as well (i.e. pompus git). Apart from the saving 2 years ago (£7000 for a 528 Touring), the typical arrogant salesman scenario was a good enough reason to buy my last BM abroad (plus I saved 3 months on the delivery time offered from local dealers, by buying directly from Bonn).

Difference this time around is:

UK dealer will offer 18-24 months delivery on M3, buying from continent will not give a delivery time (tried by a friend of mine willing to put money down for a deal).

For now very happy with my P1, but I am tempted to try a drive in the M3 (for future reference).

Old 11 May 2001, 11:39 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a brief look at the M3 this week and was slightly disappointed with its "tame" looks. Very similar to 330, only the wheels looking really special (classy). The boot lip spoiler looks pretty insipid though. Car was driven away for a booked test drive by others, and it didn't sound particularly impressive (not as fruity as P1), plus the saleswomen "screamed" it down the road without any warm-up (poor person who buys this demonstrator!).

In terms of price, £38,500 gets you most except CD (+£250), HIFI speaker system (+£470), Tracker (+£434)otherwise extras are superfluous (electric backrest width adjustment!? etc.).

I wanted a test drive, but I was quoted at least 3 weeks waiting list!!! Sales service was pretty shoddy as well (i.e. pompus git). Apart from the saving 2 years ago (£7000 for a 528 Touring), the typical arrogant salesman scenario was a good enough reason to buy my last BM abroad (plus I saved 3 months on the delivery time offered from local dealers, by buying directly from Bonn).

UK dealer will offer 18-24 months delivery on M3, buying from continent will not give a delivery time (tried by a friend of mine willing to put money down for a deal).

For now very happy with my P1, but I am tempted to try a drive in the M3 (for future reference).

Old 11 May 2001, 11:41 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a brief look at the M3 this week and was slightly disappointed with its "tame" looks. Very similar to 330, only the wheels looking really special (classy). The boot lip spoiler looks pretty insipid though. Car was driven away for a booked test drive by others, and it didn't sound particularly impressive (not as fruity as P1), plus the saleswomen "screamed" it down the road without any warm-up (poor person who buys this demonstrator!)

In terms of price, £38,500 gets you most except CD (+£250), HIFI speaker system (+£470), Tracker (+£434)otherwise extras are superfluous (electric backrest width adjustment!? etc.)

For now very happy with my P1, but I am tempted to try a drive in the M3 (for future reference)

Old 11 May 2001, 11:47 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had a brief look at the M3 this week and was slightly disappointed with its "tame" looks. Very similar to 330, only the wheels looking really special (classy). The boot lip spoiler looks pretty insipid though. Car was driven away for a booked test drive by others, and it didn't sound particularly impressive (not as fruity as P1), plus the saleswomen "screamed" it down the road without any warm-up (poor person who buys this demonstrator!)

In terms of price, £38,500 gets you most except CD (+£250), HIFI speaker system (+£470), Tracker (+£434)otherwise extras are superfluous (electric backrest width adjustment!? etc.)

For now very happy with my P1, but I am tempted to try a drive in the M3 (for future reference)

Old 11 May 2001, 11:54 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 12 May 2001, 12:09 AM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chins, sorry for the late reply, I'm not saying an impreza is better than the M3 - peoples definition of better will be different. I'm looking for a car that puts a smile on my face, gives me lots of feedback and is fun to drive. For me the M3 was anaesthetised, it is undoubtably faster, it may well have more lateral G, but does that make it handle better - again a very subjective term. IMHO the impreza was better at fufilling my demands for a car. I do many trackdays and are willing to sacrifice the poor interior build of the impreza for the feel it gives me. Anyway its pure luxury compared with my other car which has no windscreen/doors!
Hope you enjoy the M3 I'm sure you will
Old 12 May 2001, 12:03 PM
Tyson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 12 May 2001, 12:56 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Is your ISP playing up? You seem to have posted the same message numerous times.

Quick Reply: Test Drove New M3