Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wagon and dog owners, how much space does your mutt have?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2016, 05:41 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wagon and dog owners, how much space does your mutt have?

As title, for those of you with wagons and a dog(s), how much space is there in the boot? Mention the breed as well so I can get an idea of dog size. I've got a male German Shepherd and I'm wondering if he would fit in the boot of a classic wagon. I'm not bothered about putting a dog crate in the boot, just the dog loose with a dog guard. I currently drive a Saab 9-5 estate which is huge but I miss having a Subaru .
Old 13 January 2016, 06:13 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is a blob wagon and my dog is a Cane Corso, weighs around 60kg, he doesn't go in it often mostly because he's too badly behaved but he does fit sitting or standing and he's bigger than any of the GSD's we've had in the family, 2 that were ours when I were a lad and 2 for my aunt. I wouldn't say he could hold a party in there but if he lied down he'd be fine, unfortunately he has very poor car manners and wants to be in the front all the time.
Old 13 January 2016, 06:43 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Are blob wagons much bigger than a classic wagon. I'd love a JDM STI wagon if it's big enough. It's hard to tell looking at pictures plus I'm never sure if they're a classic wagon or whatnot.

My boy is very well behaved in the boot. He loves going for a ride and will just lay down for the whole journey .

Last edited by LSherratt; 13 January 2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 13 January 2016, 08:29 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad puts his German Shepherd in the back of his Bugeye WRX wagon, the dog can sit or lie down with ease and not to cramped in the back. We had the same discussion about which boot has the most space out of my brothers classic STi wagon and my dads newage WRX wagon and the newage boot seems slightly bigger/deeper, but not by much that you would notice or the dog would notice.

Im in the same boat, I need a estate/wagon to put my 2 Labradors in when we go out for long walks somewhere nice, obviously something not to nice as they like to get muddy, Ive looked at Impreza wagons, BMW E46 Touring, etc, still haven't got anything yet, so need to get back on it, but a cheap classic wagon would be my choice at the moment!!
Old 13 January 2016, 09:10 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a legacy GTB, I've had my STi3 wagon since 1999 (garaged since 2006) but I also ran a BG5 GTB for a couple of winters before I took the STi wagon off the road. The GTB was probably as much fun as the STi wagon as its so understated yet very rapid - and the boot is probably as big as the Saab. If you really want the Impreza wagon then the boot will manage a GSD, but I wouldn't want to have him in the boot for any length of time. Reckon you could get a Shetland pony in the boot of the legacy...
Old 13 January 2016, 09:18 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. Really useful information there! I honestly can't fault my Saab 9-5 estate. It's bloody massive and very luxurious but I'm starting to really miss driving a Subaru. My Saab is the Aero model, 2.3 turbo 250bhp standard so it's not "slow" but it's not "fast" either if that makes sense?

Name:  IMG_1392_zpsgcvdagpr.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  251.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2684_zpswkdkpxso.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  229.6 KB
Old 13 January 2016, 09:23 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Can I throw a forester STI in to the mix...surely worth a look if your looking for a STI over a wrx wagon...
Old 13 January 2016, 09:32 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Not at all interested in a Forester. Gotta be an Impreza plus the Foresters are actually quite small
Old 13 January 2016, 09:38 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Thanks all. Really useful information there! I honestly can't fault my Saab 9-5 estate. It's bloody massive and very luxurious but I'm starting to really miss driving a Subaru. My Saab is the Aero model, 2.3 turbo 250bhp standard so it's not "slow" but it's not "fast" either if that makes sense?

I saw your original post when you got the Saab, I'm looking for a cheap estate to run for a few months for when I flog my BMW X3 and while I decide what to get as a daily runner - I'd never have considered a Saab till I saw your post. Decent legacys are £5k, whereas a decent 9-5 estate can be had for under £2k - and are very capable of high mileages. Just waiting for the X3 V5 to come though from the leasing company before I flog the X3. I might look to personally import a legacy.
Old 14 January 2016, 08:44 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Had one Newfoundland (65kg of fluff) in the back of my old classic wagon and two in my wifes Forester. Also made one fit in a Z3, that wasn't a good trip.
Old 15 January 2016, 08:14 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Cheers all. Looks like it's doable then if I decide to sway that way .
Old 16 January 2016, 08:08 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

coming from a saab I think you'll find the impreza isn't up to standard inside (unless you get a fairly new one). The Legacy is a much better match. I've had 3x gen2 GT-Bs, a 1999 outback, and now on a 2005 JDM 2.0 Legacy GT wagon and the boots in all are much bigger than the impreza, but from the outside they're still relatively small cars for an estate, and handle very well. A 2.0 GT JDM, or a UK 3.0 Spec B will easily out-handle your saab and match it for performance in everything but very low-down torque (I've had a few turbo saabs as well and they certainly have their charm)...
Old 16 January 2016, 10:24 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

The Saab is a great car but what I liked about my old Subaru was the crappy creaky interior, the retro feel, the raw driving experience and it's what I miss. I don't care about the standard of the interior, cruise control, heated leather and parking sensors. It's nice to have yeah but I'm not fussed. The classic raw Impreza driving experience is addictive....
Old 17 January 2016, 12:54 AM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

well in the case avoid the legacy or get an older one

they do have much more boot space
Old 17 January 2016, 07:36 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also say don't bother with a newage wagon either because it's nothing like driving a classic, they're much more grown up and refined compared to a classic.
Old 17 January 2016, 10:02 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

If I was going to get one, I'd import a JDM classic STI wagon .