Sponsored by:

1st Gear Crunch

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2001, 01:41 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
If I'm sitting stationary and then try and put the car into 1st gear quickly I get the same effect as if you don't use the clutch to change gear. Doing it slowly, it's fine (and also it appears to other gears). Does this sound like the syncro is going ? Car has done 62K miles and has a quickshift fitted.

cheers
Andy
Old 14 May 2001, 02:45 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

hi
i have quickshift too...
it happens to me if i try to change quickly too...

seems that i am not quick enough, and not slow enough...
i am too soon to change b4 the synchro, and too slow - the synchro doesnt have time to speed up properly.. or so i was told by my mechanical m8...

Old 14 May 2001, 03:48 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

It's only just started doing it over the last say 500 miles or so. Just as well I extended my warrenty.

cheers
Andy
Old 15 May 2001, 09:37 PM
Secret Squirrel
Scooby Regular

spookily enough I took the P1 in today to ask about the same thing. Problem manifested itself as I was trying to change at high rev / speed, it seemd 'notchy' to get in gear. Apparently it is due to a faulty ISV (idle stabilisation valve dontcha know). Explanation as far as my non-mechanical brain understood it is that the ISV is there to reduce the air intake when idly, otherise vehicle could stall. something something..vacuum not proper....interferes with synchromesh operation. Common fault, I'm told, I was promised that the gear box would not go BLAM when stonking along at high speed!

SS
Old 15 May 2001, 09:38 PM
Secret Squirrel
Scooby Regular

spookily enough I took the P1 in today to ask about the same thing. Problem manifested itself as I was trying to change at high rev / speed, it seemd 'notchy' to get in gear. Apparently it is due to a faulty ISV (idle stabilisation valve dontcha know). Explanation as far as my non-mechanical brain understood it is that the ISV is there to reduce the air intake when idly, otherise vehicle could stall. something something..vacuum not proper....interferes with synchromesh operation. Common fault, I'm told, I was promised that the gear box would not go BLAM when stonking along at high speed!

SS
Old 15 May 2001, 10:25 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

never heard of that problem with a p1 sounds like they are fobbing you off coz the isv is surely only used when idling so at high revs or speed it should be doing nothing. does sound like it could be the start of synchro problems.