Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Worlds Largest STi Dealership Grand Opening!

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2002, 04:02 PM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

This evening I was treated to the Grand Opening of the world's largest Subaru/STi dealership with 250 other Victorian WRX Club Members. ( You can see a more formal write-up of what is available @ www.melbourne.subaru.com.au ) What can I say, the facility seems to have everything you could possibly want. If you get the opportunity to visit the complex, I guarantee that you wont be disappointed...

Vin Macro (formally of BGT fame) is the service manager, and seems dedicated to meeting the requirements of as many customers as possible... It was announced that not only will STi @ the Docklands be investigating 3rd party parts for use, but would also be developing new components to be added to the STi line-up.

The night was fully catered with waiters ensuring that no one in the house had a dry glass. The main speakers of the night were various Subaru officials whom insisted on telling us all how fantastic the facility is (and I have to agree there). Cody Crocker & co were also on call to answer various questions that may arise about the Subaru Australia Rally be based in the new Docklands Facility. (Incidentally, the rally team workshop has glass walls so that spectators may come and watch work which is being conducted on the rally cars at any given time)

In summary, things I found of interest:

- Factory STi silver wheels (see photos mentioned below)
- STi @ Docklands plan on expanding the STi component line-up to suit customers requirements better
- Minor service turn-arounds in an hour. You can play ps2, watch videos, drink coffee, etc etc whilst they work on your car.
- Components are already being developed/tested, as you can see from Vin's car (see photos), which has been lowered considerably... Vin tells me that the springs which are in his car will be available through the Docklands facility within the month.
- They fudged the dyno results so that the 22b read only 206kW (for obvious reasons...) the maximum power figure was gained at 5,000rpm and from then on the car was backed off considerably.
- The Australian Rally Team Headquarters is based at the facility.
- 30 cars can be worked on simultaneously... on 30 hydraulic hoists
- Test drives and services may all be booked online through www.melbourne.subaru.com.au
- There's a skid pan which can be wet in a matter of moments by a $40,000 sprinkler system, then the fun begins!
- There's an off road track so you can test the off road ability of the outback and forester vehicles.
- They have absolutely everything... if you're a subaru enthusiast, it's like being a kid in a candy store...

The above mentioned photos can be found here:

http://photos.smktech.com.au:58885/g...ning&preview=1

or goto:

http://photos.smktech.com.au:58885/

and click on:

"20020608 - Docklands STi Grand Opening"

All of the photos have been captioned, which can be view from both the close up and thumbnail screens. (Hold mouse over the thumbnail for a few seconds to view caption)

Regards,

Gerrod

Old 08 June 2002, 04:27 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Now why dont we have anything like this in the UK. Its obvious that our brothers in Oz have seen the light!
Come on Subaru why dont you splash some cash and open a garage in the uk similar to the one in Australia.
Old 08 June 2002, 04:48 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Question

the H6 engine looks interesting - flat 6 ?!

What models is that going in?
Old 08 June 2002, 07:09 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

It's already in the Outback H6
Old 08 June 2002, 07:54 PM
Luke
BANNED

Sounds like your average UK dealer.......
Old 09 June 2002, 01:55 AM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

There's also a twin turbo version of the H6 coming out in the liberty/legacy range within the next 6 months...

Gerrod
Old 09 June 2002, 08:51 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Yeah and paying for a banner ad would be a better idea [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

When my 22b goes back to Aussie it ain't going within a bulls roar of these people [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Bunch of freeloaders.. Embarrasing their Northern neighbours [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09 June 2002, 08:59 AM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

Is that comment in regards to the backing off of the 22b on the dyno?

Gerrod
Old 09 June 2002, 09:03 AM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

If you're referring to Australians as being freeloaders, then I think you may be misinformed... Australia buys more subaru's per capita than any other country in the world... where else would you build the biggest dealership?

Gerrod
Old 09 June 2002, 12:39 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

What did the 22B achieve on the dyno????
Old 10 June 2002, 02:48 AM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

Bruiser,

Approx 210kW... but as an official department of Subaru/STi, it is in their best interests that they do not officially prove that the parent company is being deceitful.

Gerrod
Old 06 August 2002, 04:40 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

my sentiments exactly!!

Can you imagine any UK dealer going to those lengths?

the photo gallery is tops!

[Edited by uncle buck - 6/8/2002 4:46:26 PM]