Blobeye STI car decisions

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2015, 06:54 PM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye STI car decisions

Hi all,

New member here, I've been browsing the forums for a while as i already own a WRX, which is actually the reason i am creating this thread. I love the drive of my WRX but weighing up the costs of everything i would want to do (mid 300's horsepower, coilovers, anti rollbars, sti body kit and interior, bigger brakes etc) i would save a lot of money buying an STI.

Now my problem is i've found three cars I like all for different reasons. The car will not do too much mileage, more a weekend toy and hopefully get to some track days. I was hoping maybe you guys with more experience of the STI's than me could just shed some light on your own experience recommendations. I've been researching and looking out for one for a while. So, i have a pretty good idea of the spec i'm getting with each car, it's more the financial, long-term investment of each car)

My budget for an STI is £10k, and a rough guide and price of the cars i am looking at are below.

2004 STI (100k miles, only performance mods are prodrive exhaust) - £6000. This car seems very genuine and tidy, and is cheap enough i would have plenty of money left for a remap, maybe handling components and more importantly savings in the bank.

2004 widetrack STI (80K miles, basic stage one mods and remap) - £8000. The widetrack, DCCD, interior here are the swaying factor, again seems a genuine car, but im questioning whether the extra £2000 is worth it when i could swap in the dash from my MY05 WRX and buy some coilovers for the cheaper STI.

Finally this JDM import from Hurst cars.
http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars...01510067562678
I love the sound of the JDM cars (Hopefully, i don't get too much hate for that), and i am planning on keeping whichever car i buy for a couple of years. So, I was hoping of the three although this is the most expensive it might pan out if it doesn't depreciate as bad as the others. Obviously, the other concern is bringing myself to track a near £10k car.

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be on the road in an STI soon.

Ryan
Old 31 October 2015, 10:09 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Here we go....

*waits for the inevitable anti-STi members to turn up*
Old 31 October 2015, 10:25 PM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Peedee
Here we go....

O dear, I hope I haven't started anything.

Reading over my post the question does seem very vague, and i know trying to compare a UK non-widetrack against a JDM one is discussing two very different cars.

I've been thinking these cars over for hours. So, maybe a better approach is to just break it down into simple questions.

Do you think for £6k the MY04 STI would be a good fun car for the money, or am i just buying an expensive high mileage car. (The mileage doesn't bother me personally, as it's low owners, HPI clear, very good condition for it's age, FSH, and always been looked after with regular services, but i don't want to overpay if it's not as cheap as im convincing myself it is)

The JDM one is the one if you said you can have any of the three cars ignoring price, I'd pick it as would many others i get the impression reading around, but do you guys reckon it's worth the near £4k extra, and in a couple years time am i going to be left with a car that's probably only worth what the cheaper of the three is now.

As for the £8k UK one, it's probably the one i'm definitiely going to discount as it seems a fairly average price for one, and i could just wait for another. Whereas, i feel the price of the other two i would have to act fast. (That does not mean when i go to inspect the car, i'll buy regardless. I have owned a lot of JDM cars and will happily walk away).

Last edited by rycarbon; 31 October 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 31 October 2015, 10:25 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The widetrack is 05 reg onwards, so is the 04 reg 'widetrack' a normal sti with widetrack bits fitted?

I would probably go for the £6k sti, then fit an SC42 and supporting mods with a remap. Should get about 375bhp +. Along with the handling and brakes (don't forget tyres) upgrades it will max out your budget, but you will have a decent performing/handling car
Old 31 October 2015, 10:29 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Here we go....

That is a pointless and unhelpful reply, why bother?
Old 31 October 2015, 10:37 PM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
The widetrack is 05 reg onwards, so is the 04 reg 'widetrack' a normal sti with widetrack bits fitted?

I would probably go for the £6k sti, then fit an SC42 and supporting mods with a remap. Should get about 375bhp +. Along with the handling and brakes (don't forget tyres) upgrades it will max out your budget, but you will have a decent performing/handling car
Thanks for the reply BoozyDave, right now i'm definitely swaying for the £6k one. Think, i'm going to look at it as it's only an hour away and if it isn't what it seems, i'll ring up and book a viewing of the JDM one. You may be write with the 04 one not being widetrack, as i also was of the opinion that was an 05 onwards thing.
Old 31 October 2015, 10:49 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

a genuine widetrack has the 05 reg dash fitted, adjustable DCCD, rear wheel arch extensions and slightly different rear bumper (where the arch extensions meet the bumper). also wheels have a different PCD 114.3x5, the non widetrack is the same as wrx's and classics at 100x5

probably more stuff that I've missed, but hope this helps
Old 01 November 2015, 12:30 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pity your budget can't stretch to the black jdm at hurst. That looks nice. I wouldn't be worried about losing too much value, the jdm cars are very sought after so won't drop too much too fast. You'd probably lose more money modifying the uk blob, as any money spent on mods wouldn't increase the value.
Old 01 November 2015, 01:24 AM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Willowsdad
Pity your budget can't stretch to the black jdm at hurst. That looks nice. I wouldn't be worried about losing too much value, the jdm cars are very sought after so won't drop too much too fast. You'd probably lose more money modifying the uk blob, as any money spent on mods wouldn't increase the value.
I would love that Black JDM, I've looked at it many a time and it has a few nice performance upgrades, but it's just that bit too far out of budget. Given the choice i would have a black STI over any other colour (To the point where had the one i've linked been black i would not have started this thread, and just bought that one), at the same time i don't dislike any standard colour, just wouldn't want to pay as much for my second choice if you get what i mean.

I agree totally with the mods adding no value, but i'm not the best with money, i.e. if i buy the £6K car i would put the rest into savings and mod over time and then the money would be spread out and in smaller doses. Whereas, if i buy one already done now using all my budget i guarantee i wont put the money i can save now into savings each time i get paid.

Originally Posted by Trinity
I dont think anyways 'anti wrx' its just the STI is the better car, so thats the one to go for, and a JDM STI is the far better car!

The standard of WRX owners as people on here is also quite poor as well, which adds to the animosity.
I agree i currently own a WRX and it's an awesome car, at the end of the day its all down to the costs of performance, if i could modify my WRX to the stage i want for less or equal value to buying an STI then I wouldn't change it, especially as i know my car runs with no problems.

I also feel the JDM is the better car, but i cant help but feel i would always worry about it and not want to push it as hard on a track due to its value.

I guess it's a good thing for owners but there just doesn't seem to be that many STI's for sale. Consequently, having searched all the usual for sale sites I couldn't even count on one hand the amount I would actually buy, whether that's due to their condition, history or being overpriced.

I thought it wouldn't be so hard picking. My basic requirements if i had to choose are simply widetrack JDM (10k budget could stretch a bit) or UK (wouldn't really want to go much over £8k as i may as well get a JDM then) in black, sub 80k miles, HPI clear and not an excessive amount of owners, but unless i haven't looked too well or missed out there hasn't been too much in the last month or so.
Old 01 November 2015, 01:39 AM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JDM for me all the way just better cars IMO. If you are looking for a keeper JDM is the way forward
Old 01 November 2015, 08:15 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Buy a jdm and never look back your money's secure IMO But it's your money follow your heart what ever feels right the uk models do hold there prices as long as they are low mileage etc my bug had 55k on it bought it for 4.5k 5 years later it was jus going on to 60k and I got 7.5k for it so condition and mileage should be your number1 mate if your planning to sell on in near future
Old 01 November 2015, 08:17 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
That is a pointless and unhelpful reply, why bother?
Dude peewee was jus being sarcastic chill
Old 01 November 2015, 09:19 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ZANY
Dude peewee was jus being sarcastic chill

Whilst I understand the sarcasm, I'd like to point out that too many well intentioned threads have been disrupted by petty comments and arguments. Many people have had enough of it. So I'd just like to remind everyone to resist doing this here. Just stick to giving sound advice and reporting disruptive users instead of responding to them.
Old 01 November 2015, 09:24 AM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Buy a jdm and never look back your money's secure IMO But it's your money follow your heart what ever feels right the uk models do hold there prices as long as they are low mileage etc my bug had 55k on it bought it for 4.5k 5 years later it was jus going on to 60k and I got 7.5k for it so condition and mileage should be your number1 mate if your planning to sell on in near future
Right now, following my heart i'm thinking if the £6k one is as described and seems a solid car, i can modify it over time, and worst case scenario and the prices drop significantly i could break it and not be massively out of pocket.

I think the money of a JDM or even widetrack type UK, i would have to get the right car (Tidy, not too high mileage, and most importantly black), as said above if that one at hurst (or any of the three for that matter) had of been black i would have bought that as soon as it went up. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't many black blobeye STI's to choose from widetrack or not. Hence, all of the three i've mentioned are either blue or silver.

Last edited by rycarbon; 01 November 2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01 November 2015, 09:35 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

JDM STi if your looking for a long term investment then this is the only way to go, Have a look at previous models(UK cars v JDM cars) you will notice that even the older models(classics, bugeye) the JDM STi's are either going up in price or are already a lot more expensive then the UK cars.

JDM cars are in demand, and the reason why there expensive or going up in price, buy the best you can and you wont lose to much money in years to come when you sell it, and even a standard JDM blob will excite you.
Old 01 November 2015, 10:49 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

There's a black blob sti on eBay looks pretty clean might be right up your street if you want black don't settle for less or any other colour you'll come across one if you wait and be patient I reckon good look mate
Old 01 November 2015, 11:09 AM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

There's a black blob sti on eBay looks pretty clean might be right up your street if you want black don't settle for less or any other colour you'll come across one if you wait and be patient I reckon good look mate
By any chance is it this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/MY05-..._qi=RTM2065556

If so, i was very interested and have spoken to the owner about it and he was very helpful, it does tick all the boxes, but i was a bit concerned he hasn't owned it very long. Maybe, someone knows him or the car and can vouch for it either on here or by PM, as it's a long way for me to go and find it's a no go.

Just out of curiosity is there anyone who if i PM'd them the £6k car link, could shed some light on whether it seems an ok car for the money, i don't want to post it in the thread as £6k is an agreed price and i don't want to affect the sale of the car if i don't go through with it.
Old 01 November 2015, 11:18 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Default Yep

Yes it's that one looks mint take someone with you make sure it's cold Mot been started you should be right you could buy a mint one with all the history in the world and it could still go pop mate follow your heart and take someone with you even if it costs you to givem a quick £50 for there time I've travelled to Cornwall and came back empty handed mate it's just a chance if you're ready to take I would if I wanted a black one and its a widetrack blob best of both
Old 01 November 2015, 11:27 AM
rycarbon
Scooby Newbie

Yes it's that one looks mint take someone with you make sure it's cold Mot been started you should be right you could buy a mint one with all the history in the world and it could still go pop mate follow your heart and take someone with you even if it costs you to givem a quick £50 for there time I've travelled to Cornwall and came back empty handed mate it's just a chance if you're ready to take I would if I wanted a black one and its a widetrack blob best of both
It's a shame as i did really want that car, but unfortunately my work at the moment means i only get every other weekend off, and if i went today i could not get there until 5 or 6 o clock, and i would not feel confident depositing in case it's not what it seems.

Maybe, i might post up see if any one local could check it out for me and offer them some money for travelling and their time, that way i would feel more confident to either deposit it or even if possible pick it up late. For me personally it's the mechanical side that i car about as within reason i can sort or deal with minor imperfections.
Old 01 November 2015, 06:22 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rycarbon
That looks like a good example, seems a reasonable price too
Old 01 November 2015, 09:33 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I'd looking at buying an Evo 8 maybe an 9 for 10k