Sponsored by:

Impreza Sport buying advice?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2015, 01:30 AM
h4mza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza Sport buying advice?

Still can't afford insurance on a WRX even after 4 years since I registered, 23 and having earned 2 NCB Guess I have to wait a bit more longer lol

Anyways my insurance is due to run out soon and I'm looking to buy a new car. I've considered the Impreza sport classic model but need bit of advice. I've test driven one and was quite pleased with how it drives, better than my current civic as it lacks power steering and handling and has crap bouncy suspension. I'm also quite a fan of noises and main reason I like scoobys is because of their boxer engine noise, is it possible to get that noise on non turbo when idle? Also what sort of mpg should I see if driving sensibility mostly town driving. I can live with something around 25mpg but any less would be disappointing lol.
Old 30 October 2015, 01:39 AM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends how you drive it, a non turbo isnt that much better than a turbo on petrol. You can get unequal headers and different exhausts for the non turbo if noise is what you are after.
Old 30 October 2015, 02:04 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save your money. Keep your current car and the turbo will come all the sooner. If you really want a new car then there are way more fun cars to be had which are far quicker and way easier on the pocket!
Old 30 October 2015, 12:31 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I owned a sport as daily driver, its has been a very reliable car.
Plus 4 wheel drive in winter is good.

But if your looking for a classic sport first thing you need to look for is rust, there will be loads of rusty ones out there.

Check under the rear arches for rust, check clutch aswell as there quite pricey to have changed. Good things to have are service history, although without the turbo the engines seem to be more bullet proof even when been poorly serviced.

I have just sold my daily driver which was a sport and that did roughly 32mpg or a run more. Only things i had done to it was clutch as slipping when bought and cambelt and oil gasket. Aprt from that just generally servicing, covered 40 miles no faults
Old 30 October 2015, 01:30 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
When you need insurance please feel free to give us a try. If you wanted to PM some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 31 October 2015, 06:45 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't bother with a sport, you will only get boy racers in Saxo VTR's keeping up with you and telling there mates they did a scooby. And the biggest fail is when you see a sport with the turbo bonnet vent!! Save for the real thing and the wait will be worth it!!!
Old 01 November 2015, 11:33 PM
h4mza
Scooby Regular

Cheers all, what should I expect to pay for one these in fairly good condition with no rust as seen a few around £700ish which I thought was cheap considering 1.4 civics go for that much. I’m keeping my civic, just taking it off road for engine rebuild so I need a second car as daily. My mates one had little rust and clutch felt quite heavy, it also had weird looking carbon spoiler, was an S reg in green and think he sold it for £600, possibly someone knows this car? I’ve got something better planned for spring/summer time but for now just fancy a scoob lol, will call you in the morning to check insurance Dan.
Old 02 November 2015, 12:33 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Personally I wouldn't bother with a sport, you will only get boy racers in Saxo VTR's keeping up with you and telling there mates they did a scooby. And the biggest fail is when you see a sport with the turbo bonnet vent!! Save for the real thing and the wait will be worth it!!!
A CLASSIC sport only weighs 1100 killos. Both (quickest) vtr and the sport are 9.1 to 60mph. Impreza will launch harder and have a higher more stable top speed. Might need some stiffing up for the bends but still the better car all round.
Old 02 November 2015, 04:03 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by south_scoob
A CLASSIC sport only weighs 1100 killos. Both (quickest) vtr and the sport are 9.1 to 60mph. Impreza will launch harder and have a higher more stable top speed. Might need some stiffing up for the bends but still the better car all round.
Both have almost identical top speeds but the VTR weighs in at around 200kg less. Granted the Impreza has a bhp/ton advantage but it has to drag around that transmission so the VTR would be on your bootlid all day. Upgrade the VTR to a VTS and you wouldn't see which way it went!
Old 02 November 2015, 10:54 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Both have almost identical top speeds but the VTR weighs in at around 200kg less. Granted the Impreza has a bhp/ton advantage but it has to drag around that transmission so the VTR would be on your bootlid all day. Upgrade the VTR to a VTS and you wouldn't see which way it went!
Not it its raining or even damp. I think alot off people on here forget the understeer you get trying to drive a fwd hot hatch in those conditions after scooby ownership.. It sucks

Lets not forget were hardly living in dubai here are we, its always bloody raining! A classic sport lowered maby lightend would be a massive step up from op's civic
Old 03 November 2015, 06:51 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by south_scoob
Not it its raining or even damp. I think alot off people on here forget the understeer you get trying to drive a fwd hot hatch in those conditions after scooby ownership.. It sucks

Lets not forget were hardly living in dubai here are we, its always bloody raining! A classic sport lowered maby lightend would be a massive step up from op's civic
Out of slower corners where traction is king I would agree but neither car has much in the way of power so traction isn't necessarily as important as grip on the back roads so the car with the better tyres will probably win that contest!
Old 03 November 2015, 06:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Out of slower corners where traction is king I would agree but neither car has much in the way of power so traction isn't necessarily as important as grip on the back roads so the car with the better tyres will probably win that contest!
And I do apologise for that horribly long sentence
Old 03 November 2015, 07:04 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

The engine breaking being 50/50 on a scooby instead off 100/0 realy helps to keep the car stable in the wet i think. Eg adjusting throttle mid corner because you entered too fast etc. Id expect a well set up sport to still walk away from a vts in the rain and a vtr in dry

But tbh ive driven neither of those 3 cars

Obviously tyres do play a massive part! But theres only so much tyre you can fit on a saxo etc

Last edited by south_scoob; 03 November 2015 at 07:10 PM.