Hawkeye Auto Leveling issue

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2015, 09:16 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye Auto Leveling issue

Hi guys,

need some help with the auto levelling lights, there is a light on the dash for it, but the lights still point fine and have passed the mot (by chance the light on the dash went out on the day of the MOT) the light isn't always there, only now and again, I have checked the units in the wheel arches on the drivers side, and on the rear there is a small piece of metal hanging (I can only assume that it was connected at one time). Is this the faulty part? and why would it only do it every now and again not all the time? also it has only just started showing but the part has been like that since I bought the car and I hadn't got round to replacing it yet..?

Thanks all..
Bran
Old 02 September 2015, 11:46 PM
Gsi Jay
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had this happen on mine, it started out flashing up on the dashboard but would then go off again, as you say headlights pointed in the right direction so it didn't bother me. After a while it stayed on permanently though so as soon as my car needed it's mot it was a fail straight away, cost me about £140 for the sensor from the main dealers , the pins inside the old one had rotted away, not a cheap job to put right.
Old 03 September 2015, 08:00 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

do you know what sensor it was? like the main one or one of the ones in the wheel arches? im hoping mine is the one that is broken, but as that part has always been broken im not sure if it is or not.

Not sure if you will know, but do you know where the main sensor is so I can check that one out?
Old 03 September 2015, 02:06 PM
Gsi Jay
Scooby Regular

It was this one mate,

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

but on mine it was the front one which had gone, they are the ones that are located in the front and rear wheel arches, the pins had corroded in mine but they'd also corroded in the plug attached to the wire which goes to the loom so they had to splice a new section into that as well.
HTH
Old 04 September 2015, 08:57 AM
bparkes007
Scooby Regular

Okay brill thanks mate. I will check my front one out just in case as well make sure it hasn't corroded.

Next is save up for a STI hawk model I think yours an sti or wrx? whats good to look out for with these, I know the 2.5 engines are prone to something (think its piston rings but cant remember) and the standard suspension knock, auto level sensor.. but anything else?
Old 06 September 2015, 12:04 AM
ricodjs
Scooby Regular

Default Levellers

Both my auto levellers went at the same time, not massively difficult to replace them although pretty annoying!
When they're broken, handy for shooting down German bombers though
Old 07 September 2015, 10:00 PM
Gsi Jay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bparkes007
Okay brill thanks mate. I will check my front one out just in case as well make sure it hasn't corroded.

Next is save up for a STI hawk model I think yours an sti or wrx? whats good to look out for with these, I know the 2.5 engines are prone to something (think its piston rings but cant remember) and the standard suspension knock, auto level sensor.. but anything else?
Yeah mines an sti, think you've covered the main issue which is piston / ring land issues, head gasket going is the other one, I'm on my second one now, getting it forged next year to sort it for good hopefully