Roll or not to roll !!

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2015, 05:08 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Roll or not to roll !!

Hi peeps

The car in question is my 2003 blob spec c, I bought some xxr 530's as I really liked the look going back a few months ago BUT now it's come to crunch I'm really unsure as I'm not sure I can go through with rolling the arches as I'm thinking It would be a shame to do this

I love the look of the wheels as I said but can I justify rolling the arches on a spec c just because of the wheels... I Like the 530's or grid drifts but cannot atm bring myself to roll em...

Thoughts .....

Last edited by crazyspeedfreakz; 19 June 2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 19 June 2015, 05:17 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went past yours the other day, The wheels look nice, But personally I would not roll the arches, as your car is quite clean, and for any reason that when they/you roll the arches they crack the paint, you could end up doing more damage just for the sake of a set of wheels.

I saw a white Spec C at a show not long back that had the arches rolled and they where battered and blistered, which really spoiled the car, I wouldn't take a chance if it was my car.
Old 19 June 2015, 05:27 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Yep no what ur saying my main concern is down the line rusty rear arches !! They look amazing for sure on and I'm Basicly ready to go now I have the arch roller & heat gun ready for tomorrow but having second thoughts at the last min.
Old 19 June 2015, 05:31 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Opinion no.1: It's your car - do what makes you happy.

Opinion no.2: Imprezas and particularly Spec Cs are for driving, not posing. If you really have to ruin the ride/handling by putting oversized wheels on, at least that is easily reversible. Don't permanently scar the Spec C (and possibly affect your resale value) by modifying the bodywork.
Old 19 June 2015, 06:52 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
Opinion no.1: It's your car - do what makes you happy.

Opinion no.2: Imprezas and particularly Spec Cs are for driving, not posing. If you really have to ruin the ride/handling by putting oversized wheels on, at least that is easily reversible. Don't permanently scar the Spec C (and possibly affect your resale value) by modifying the bodywork.
This is also a issue I don't want to affect resale value, I'm trying to add to the sub not take away if thay makes sense...

I think I no what I should do but I'm impatient it would mean looking for new rims selling the current one and it all takes time .

However much the xxrs looks amazing I'm just not sure I can Bring myself to roll them on the spec c though and its taken in theory till the day before I'm suppose to do it.

I need opinions and lots of them on rims that would do the sub justice.
Old 19 June 2015, 07:53 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Personally I'd not go larger or wider than 18x8. A set of Team Dynamics 1.2 or Turinis in that size will be nice and bling without requiring any rolling or overly compromising the way the car drives.
Old 19 June 2015, 08:06 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Do it!
I did mine, really took my time with it. No cracks or damage!
Remember its your car, there's a good chance that you will take more care Than a professional doing it will.
Old 19 June 2015, 08:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont do it, i remember seeing my old spec c that had its arches rolled, totally ruined the car, no one would touch it and it use to be a nice car, so if you want to keep a decent resale value dont do it, if you are going to run it into the ground then....
Old 19 June 2015, 09:13 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Do it!
I did mine, really took my time with it. No cracks or damage!
Remember its your car, there's a good chance that you will take more care Than a professional doing it will.
Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Dont do it, i remember seeing my old spec c that had its arches rolled, totally ruined the car, no one would touch it and it use to be a nice car, so if you want to keep a decent resale value dont do it, if you are going to run it into the ground then....

Yes I would take more time and care but on the flip side I don't want to devalue the car, I have a feeling however much I take my time on my pride and joy I'm gonna get a crack in the paint somewhere.

I do like the look of the wheels but hmmmm.... I think the majority is right on this one I take pride in the sub so rolling the arches is gonna be a bad move.

Think I'm gonna list my xxrs for sale... Shame as there stunning alloys I think if I had a standard sti / wrx I would roll them but just cannot do it to my spec c.
Old 19 June 2015, 09:23 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

XXR's on a spec c tut tut, you need some proper lightweight wheels to keep with the ethos of the car
Old 19 June 2015, 09:29 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
XXR's on a spec c tut tut, you need some proper lightweight wheels to keep with the ethos of the car

Yess banny.. I've been waiting for your thoughts on this I almost posted wondering where you where lol

What are your thoughts on choice, the standard multi spoke design like bbs / turinis / team dynamics all look the same the only ones I've seen that would I think maybe might Appeal are revolution alloys not sure what people's thoughts on that are... Or am I doing another wrongen
Old 19 June 2015, 09:31 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz
Yess banny.. I've been waiting for your thoughts on this I almost posted wondering where you where lol

What are your thoughts on choice, the standard multi spoke design like bbs / turinis / team dynamics all look the same the only ones I've seen that would I think maybe might Appeal are revolution alloys not sure what people's thoughts on that are... Or am I doing another wrongen

my vote goes to the bbs or turinis, proper wheels for a proper car
Old 21 June 2015, 11:25 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

What about those BBS wheels 53 has for sale?? Proper rare set of wheels, would look great on your car.
Old 21 June 2015, 11:37 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
What about those BBS wheels 53 has for sale?? Proper rare set of wheels, would look great on your car.

Yep do look nice I must admit but not sure I want the gold / white combo
Old 21 June 2015, 01:45 PM
Lillyart14
Scooby Regular

My advice for rolled arches is only do it if you don't care about resale value and potential cracks/rust with the arches down the line. But as you've already pointed out, you do care about those problems so stick with what you've got and find some nice, more suitable wheels. There's plenty of choice out there as mentioned above.

I've seen some right horrors before with rolled arches, makes you want to faceplam big time...
Old 21 June 2015, 03:31 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's done properly, I'd live with it