ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speed - The great leveller

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 10:55 PM
john catania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Over a weekend away, went through the highs and lows of speed. Standard MY 00 with nothing to prove! Kept a Yammy R6 at bay on a straight road through Lincs high into three no's! Despite left hand indicator down, R6 didn't wish to take the iniative! However, one day later, back along a similar road, incline entry to a dual cariageway, 328 (boy racer paint and alloys) matched me for 2nd gear + acceleration, again into high into three no's!

Clearly on day 1 I'm a happy buuny, not so on day 2! Having read so much on this web forum,(and looked at the stats), I am bemused at the outcome.

Have I got a slow car or the standard Scoobs not all that quick??
Old 09 May 2001, 11:04 PM
smallfin
Scooby Regular

boy i think your gunna get roasted by the goodie two soes on here who allegedly never ever drive above the limit exept on track or days over to germany!!!!!!!!
by the way a328 is about as quick in a straight line as a standard scoob-
Old 10 May 2001, 12:24 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

"If the same rider was on a Blade/R1 you wouldn't see them for dust, even if you included twisty roads".

Hmmmm, not judging by my experiences. I now have two mates that both considered themselves hardened bikers who have now swapped to the Scoob after a......comparison.

Stef.
Old 10 May 2001, 12:40 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Stef,

Clearly your mates are not up to it!

Matt
Old 10 May 2001, 12:44 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I have a Scooby and a Blade, and I can get home from work quicker by bike...

Thing is the R6 may have been able to go slightly faster but not enough to pass the Scooby safely enough in the time?
There is no way you would keep up with a bike acellerating out of a bend, through the bend you'd be all over it, come start of the straight and bye bye..
He was behind you, hence he'd already caught you up.

You have to work at it on the bike though, one lapse of consentration and hello tarmac!

The Scooby is very forgiving, until you get use to its forgivingness and add that into the calculation, but we won't go there because it damn hurt.

All IMHO

ho ho JGM
Old 10 May 2001, 12:58 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Whoops! Double post! See below

[This message has been edited by MattOz (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 08:32 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by vmax:
<B>I tell you what... Work out the price/performance ratio of the M3 and scooob.... That will put smile back on yer face ! [/quote]

But......work out the price/performance ratio of the Yamaha R6 and the Scoob .... that will (should) <B>NOT</B> put a smile on your face

Matt
(I worked out the price/perf ratio of my Thunderace vs Scoob and that put a big smile on my face!!!!)
Old 10 May 2001, 08:46 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

John,

The R6 rider either wasn't very good (there are a LOT of these) or thought that going fast in a straight line wasn't the biggest of challenges.

With the greatest of respect to Scoobs, all but the very fastest would get roasted by a competent rider on any decent 600. If the same rider was on a Blade/R1 you wouldn't see them for dust, even if you included twisty roads.

Then again, the same averagely quick biker would be much quicker in a Scoob if the roads were bumpy, covered in manure, and there was a light covering of drizzle.

Horses for courses.

Bros

[This message has been edited by bros (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 12:09 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Don't be upset,

I tell you what... Work out the price/performance ratio of the M3 and scooob.... That will put smile back on yer face !
Old 10 May 2001, 12:15 PM
g man
Scooby Regular

CHAP CHAPS you know some of the BOYS on here are not into SPEED ON PUBLIC HIGHWAS ...he he ......
Old 10 May 2001, 01:03 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Does anyone remember an edition of Top Gear from a few years ago when they had a BSB Ducati vs a BTCC car, BMW I think? Terry Rymer rode the bike ... if I remember the BTCC car just edged it on the track.
Old 10 May 2001, 01:10 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

JGM,

Totally agree with you mate! I've owned a couple of Scoobs and now have the 330D Beemer. All this time, I've had either a Blade or now an Aprilia RSV-R Mille. Now the cars are quick (STI Type R V-ltd) etc, but there is nothing to touch a superbike.

Now I know that the "Fast Boys" on the BBS will go on about how they anihilated a superbike, but they're kidding themselves if they think that the bike they beat was even bothered or actually trying. Sure you're going to get those riders that can't exploit the potential of a superbike, but the same can be said of a Scoob. I mean, I can't drive for toffee!

I'm expecting the usual " Yeah, but on a wet road with diesel, crap etc".... but that's about the only time that a car, ANY car for that matter, will be quicker.

If you want a quick car then fine. If you want a real speed fix/thrill/WOW, get a bike licence and get something that would be made illegal if you could bottle it!

Roll on a joint trackday, when this debate can be put to bed. Bikes 1, Cars 0 . LOL

Matt

Old 10 May 2001, 01:12 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Exactly Matt....

There was an addition of Evo where they compared a Scooby RB5 I think it was and an R1.
They did round abouts and corners and cones etc... and acceleration... the Scooby was good but the R1 one was quicker..

It is all horses for courses exactly that.

Now maybe R.Burns and Foggy with there respected machines would be a comparison!?
Both can drive them to their limits...

Track day with bikes and cars would be mayhem...

ho ho JGM
Old 11 May 2001, 12:27 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike,

LOL

You are right mate! I'd have to mumble something about dodgy tyres or time of the month or something similar if faced with your beastie!

Having said that, in a straight line up to about 150, you'd be toast! How does 0-100-0 in 10.23 secs sound? That'll be me then.......

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 12:59 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Matt,
There is no way that anyone other than a Pro could replicate those times... As is proven by the Santa Pod times for normal riders (high 10s or low 11s for bikes "supposed" to be capable of high 9s / low 10s). Bring it to Santa Pod on 20th May (they do allow bikes) and we can see the true difference... I expect to be beaten by at LEAST 1.5s by your bike, if not, then your **** aaah! As you say nothing (normal) can live with a bike from a standing start.

See you there?
Best regards
Mike R
Old 11 May 2001, 10:23 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Glad to see that you Scooby ( and Skyline,Evo,Ferrari,Porker etc) owners can't think of anything to say on this one!

JGM, you and I must be right! LOL

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 10:47 AM
bros
Scooby Regular

And you can't pull wheelies or throw stoppies in a car. Or wear one-piece leathers without being accused of being a fetishist ....

Bros
Old 11 May 2001, 10:51 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Nothing to say cos there is no competition.

I have what people would regard as a quick scoob (even though it isn't) and I wouldn't even entertain racing a 600 or greater for a second.

I grew up with my dad driving bikes, and as a passenger on older things (pinnacle was a zzr1100) I know how fast they really are.

No chance mate, bikes win everytime.

except when you come off/in the rain/in the cold/ when what would be a little ding means your death............

which is the reason why I wont let myself buy one.

[This message has been edited by Adam M (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 11:21 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

That's why bikers buy Scoobs - they want a car that will at least not bore them when they're on 4 wheels.....

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 11:57 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Matt,
There are exceptions to every rule...
LOL
Mike R
Old 11 May 2001, 01:22 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm definitely up for this one. Only been down the strip once before, so it's about time I did it again! the only figure I have for my bike is from a mag, and that's 10.56@ 127.3 mph.

Be nice to get sub-11 in reality. Just gotta watch the wheelies!

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 01:24 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

BTW mate, neither your car, nor your haircut could ever be considered as "Normal"!!

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 01:36 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Guys Guys Guys!

Lets look at some facts here shall we.

Ignore the fact that the bike kills the scooby / P1 etc in a straight line.

If you (as a biker) are stupid enough to race a Scooby or any car that matter then the fact is you ARE GOING TO DIE VERY SHORTLY.

On a perfect surface, with perfect visibility and zero traffic i can leave any car behind on my VFR800. Too much speed and cornering ability for the car.

But factor in unfamiliar/bumpy roads with limited visability and surface conditions and anyone messing around with bikers is asking to get the biker killed. DONT DO IT!!!

In a car, you can get away with the odd mistake. On a bike, that tiny slide or too fast into a corner is fatal. You DIE!!!

So anyone seeing a biker, dont attempt a dual. Even if provoked. Pat yourself on the back for potentially saving the guys life. 2 bikers died last week in my area due to them ditching the bike racing cars. Dont add to that tally.

You could be goading someone into making a serious mistake. Ive seen some bikers get a red mist when they see a scooby. They then drive totally outside their ability and risk themselves. If your involved in a biker accident whilst racing it the Police will throw you in jail!!!

The R6 guy was content to keep up and at the same time not risk getting maimed by you when he tries to overtake!!!

So, let them get on with it and have a go by all means at something with 4 wheels.

Be a man / woman and be glad your not adding to fatalities!!

Be a friend to bikers this summer and dont get involved even if provoked.

Jza

Old 11 May 2001, 01:47 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jza,

Agree with your sentiments whole heartedly. Knowing when to back down and say " enough" is much better than finding out what happens if you cross the line..............

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 01:55 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Purely on paper, big bikes r faster than your run of the mill budget supercar..but...

YOU try getting the best out of a big bike on a public road, not easy, very dangerous...imo it's significantly easier to push a car, thats why 'slower' cars can often keep up with (and occasionally loose) statistically faster bikes.

just my opinion of course but it is formed from experience.

of course if the rider could REALLY ride, but how many can, although i'll go quickly, i know i'm very average on a bike...
Old 11 May 2001, 01:57 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

OK I'll bite...

First of all... I'm not a very good rider, so could never take a bike to it's limits, but...

You need to be a bit more realistic here...

When you talk about a superbike you are talking about the pinnacle of the technology. So you need to compare it to something like a McLaren F1, not a Scoob.

The fact of the matter is, cars and bikes are totally different machines so it is impossible to say what will be quicker in all situations.

For instance. Set up a long line of 50 hairpins seperated by 10 mtr straights, and I'll eat a full english breakfast and two piping hot cups of coffee waiting for you at the other end.

This does not mean that cars are faster in all circumstances, in exactly the same way that "a bike can accelerate out of a corner quicker" doesn't mean bikes are faster in all circumstances.. A car can in many circumstances exit a corner quicker.

It's a great debate in some ways as there is no definitive answer to the question "which is quicker". They are different.

(flame suit on)

Cheers

Simon

(edited because I forgot to finish a sentence!! DOH!)

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 02:02 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with the last comment - I'm always careful around bikes - I dread to think what would happen if they came off in front of me and I drove straight over them - I could break a fog light for god's sake (just kidding)

What does annoy me is when I'm raring to go on the front of the grid at a traffic light Grand Prix when a biker slides up the middle and sits next to/in front of me. The lights go green and he meanders off holding me up (not intentionally?) as he knows no matter what the congestion up ahead he can do the same. Meantime I've been annihalited by some 80 yr old Granny in a Micra and further ahead I have to fall in behind her and then follow her for the next 1000 miles at 15mph.

Mr Biker carries on oblivious. I have a coronary with self induced stress

Old 11 May 2001, 02:09 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL at Taff! We can be ar*eholes sometimes in traffic!

SDB, did you see the article some years ago with an Exup taking on a Countach and a 911 Turbo? Believe the bike was quicker around the slalom course and the "roundabout" tests, as well as acceleration etc.

Would be nice to set something like this up again, similar to the F355 vs Scooby thing. What do you think?

BTW, are you sure you need that Full English Brekky?

Matt
Old 11 May 2001, 02:11 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

i wonder what requires the most skill ? Racing bikes or racing cars ? Or are they just different skills? I reckon bike racers have more bottle...

I think the problem with some bikers who cant ride is that they passed their bike test on a 125cc, bought a 400bandit to ride around for a bit, they went straight to a 130bhp/177kg road rocket. In other words no real progression...these bikes *allow* u to ride quickly without ever *learning* how to drive quickly, if u get my drift.

Thats what i did and thats y i reckon i'm a bit poor on bikes..

I've always had progressively faster cars and i think thats y i'm better in one,..

or sommat
Old 11 May 2001, 02:25 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt

Neither the Countach or 911 could possibly be considered the pinnacle of the technology or even starting be slightly in the vacinity.

In addition..

the slalom course would have been easier for the bike due to mostly to width as neither would have actually made the same bends...

the roundabout is doable as it's a constant bend and no direction changes (something something cars are generally better at)...

acceleration.. hey, no quibbles there.

There would be no way that I can think of to set up a truly fair test to compare the two unless we had Colin McRae, Foggy, A McLaren F1 and an R1 (or whatever). And even then you would have to devise a truly staggering set of tests..

The reason for this is that they are just so different.

You see the other thing that would cause problems is that we would probably do this at Bruntingthorpe which has a dusty surface, which would throw the balance towards cars... but we could then say we need it to be a very grippy surface.. but that throws the balance towards bikes.. and so on.

If you think about it... you could argue that cars are better as they are far more dynamic, and can be relatively fast over many more surfaces and situations, where as bikes are incredibly fast on very grippy, very smooth, sweeping bends, but lose their edge more and more, the firther you get away from that...

but you could also argue it another way I'm sure. It's like saying "which is quicker, a ferrari or a tipper truck?"... well if the job in hand is carrying stone up a muddy quarry, you could stick the ferrari up your ...

Cheers

Simon

Quick Reply: Speed - The great leveller