Sponsored by:

Racing the scoob

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2015, 08:25 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing the scoob

What kind of racing can I get into and still keep my car road legal? Don't just want my car for show and I'd like to be able to build towards something.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:35 AM
flatfoured
Scooby Regular

Id just start of on track days mate and go from there.
Old 16 May 2015, 12:21 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

That's what I was thinking. Is there a website where all the track days are on?
Old 16 May 2015, 01:05 PM
flatfoured
Scooby Regular

there is in did my friend uses it to book the track days for his owners club ill ask him shortly
Old 16 May 2015, 01:16 PM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your in Sunderland? Teesside autodrome is cheap and regular, croft do them it is quite expensive but a better track for more powerful cars.
Old 16 May 2015, 01:45 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Yea I thought Teesside would be the obvious choice, wasn't sure if any other tracks were around here it's literally the only one I know lol. Loads of people were down croft last week but I never got the chance as the scoobys getting a new engine dropped in.
Old 16 May 2015, 02:16 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Javelin Trackdays.

The MLR/22b sprint series is a really sensible place to start with competetive driving. The S1 class means a (pretty much standard) road car can be competetive, with S2 aimed at more heavily modified road cars and S3 being the bonkers purpose built cars. It's not wheel to wheel, it's a sprint format with practise runs and then competetive flyers.
Old 16 May 2015, 04:21 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

problem is if you do any sort of racing in your car and keep it road legal it will look like a shed very quickly as unfortunately racing any car it will get knocked and dented etc etc

I know people who drive cars to circuits and race them and really apart from a roll cage and racing harness and cut off switches for electric and obviously a fire extinguisher you wouldn't know it was a race car

also bear in mind if you want to keep your car road legal and race it that you may need to trailer it to a meeting as it may not be driveable to take home due to either an engine problem or worse a bit crash etc

I have seen more racing than most and have seen some gorgeous machines destroyed !!!
Old 16 May 2015, 04:44 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd start with a few track days if I were you to get to know the cars and your own limitations, that will then give you an idea of what needs doing to the handling and brakes to get it performing how you want it to.

Then go on an MSA licence training day and start the process of getting your race licence.

Once you've done that then you'll know how you feel about the whole idea as well as come to the realisation that it's not so much about how good you are and more about who has the deepest pockets. only way around this is to join one of the many single make series that's very heavily regulated and even that can get very expensive and there's a lot of scull duggery.

My advice would be don't bother with racing and just go and have some fun on track.
Old 16 May 2015, 05:37 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads I'll have a look around the net and get myself on a couple of track days before making any decisions. Just checked Teesside they've got loads of open track days on all the time. Definitely checking those out when my scoobs back on the road
Old 17 May 2015, 11:00 PM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

I would never track my car unless..

1.) i diddnt care about it
Or
2.) i was rich
Old 17 May 2015, 11:19 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't bother with tracking it just talk about it like most of scabbynet
Old 18 May 2015, 05:44 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

But then what's the point in spending a tonne of money on performance upgrades to only go 70mph max?
Old 18 May 2015, 11:43 AM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just started taking mine on I live in Hartlepool, I took it round Croft for the first time when I was home (I work away) and I will be at Teesside next time I am home its great fun, and as you say what's the point in all that bhp on the road? you really get to use them on the track.

Name:  FB_IMG_1431551330896.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  11200893_646822585448545_5079821389969518767_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  63.8 KB

Old 18 May 2015, 12:55 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Looks fun, can't wait to get on track in the car. Soon as its back on the road I'll be going to Teesside.
Old 18 May 2015, 01:28 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DanGlennon
Looks fun, can't wait to get on track in the car. Soon as its back on the road I'll be going to Teesside.
After considering track days etc i came to conclusion that before i go onto any trackday with my shed i mean subaru. I will go and buy something like little civic hatch or bmw 3 series for 300/200 notes and trash it on the track. (you could prob even get something cheaper and it will only last a lap or two) BUT it will at least give you a feel for it. and if you like it then get another subaru but puprposly for track.

As for you nice subaru if you want to put all those ponies onto a road then go pod and do a straightline, will give you that rush you looking for.
Old 18 May 2015, 01:52 PM
tizard99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd agree with a lot of the above, i originally convinced her indoors that I was buying a standard spec. classic STi impreza as a restoration project and future classic, but it is really an aside to a trackday car, you really can't seriously run a car and try and keep it standard / original / in good condition. Since buying it its done a few trackdays at Brands and Snett and each time I leave I change something on it to improve something that's lacking, problem is my once virtually standard / original classic now handles better and stops much better (engine still std'ish though) but the paint work has taken a hammering as has the bushes and the left rear shock.

My point is yes you can have fun on track (and I highly recommend it) and keep a car road legal, but without deep pockets it won't win any show and shine or original car shows. Best advice is as mentioned above, buy a BMW 3 series or Clio 172 / 182, seem to be the best track cars out there for cheap but quick thrills.

Check out (I've used all three and they're all good, Best value for money is OpenTrack though, and MSV have a loyalty scheme to save 10% off your next booking after three events):
http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/
http://www.OpenTrack.co.uk
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/

Last edited by tizard99; 18 May 2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 18 May 2015, 04:20 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Cheers for those websites bud I'll take a look later. I'm aware of the dangers of track racing and the money that goes with it. I want to do a few open track days to really get the feel for it and see if it's something I want to pursue seriously. I've come to the point with cars where making them look nice is getting a bit boring and spending money on performance is a waste of time and money unless you are actually going to do something with it. I did a lot of stupid crap when I was younger and built myself up a fair few points through speeding which I'm glad to say have now gone for good. Haven't sped since on the road and I don't intend to do the track is the only option left for me
Old 18 May 2015, 05:03 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hit that point a few years ago, be warned it can get addictive but you really get a feel for the car and you will be surprised what they can do given the chance...don't go out and try and break any lap records on your first attempt...slowly slowly catch monkey

There is also Ten Of The Best at the end of July, coned circuit and 1/4 mile at elvington where all the big boys go to play, lol, its a good laugh and a great weekend.
Old 18 May 2015, 05:26 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Haha without a doubt! I'm a patient man I'll be taking it very easy until I'm used to the car and track. I've heard of that TOTB before might of had friends who have raced there before not sure.