Sponsored by:

Advice on my MD321T

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2015, 08:16 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my MD321T

I'm having issues with my MD321T after a rebuild/refurb. Has anyone else had issues with these after a rebuild/refurb? Not entirely sure what to do next, and slowly giving up
The refurb has been completed by the only company who does them.
Would appreciate PMs as only looking for previous experiences and advise.

Cheers
Old 03 April 2015, 09:30 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

What do you mean the only company that does them, I know a few people/companies that rebuild them.
Old 03 April 2015, 09:34 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

There is only 1 company with the rights to service with warentee from the manufacturer (lateral) ... I believe! .. when I spoke to mark its the company he said to use.. I don't want to go into details on who they are as I am only after experiences at the mo.. Cheers

Last edited by 0racle; 03 April 2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04 April 2015, 01:22 AM
Harryr34
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What are the issues?
Old 04 April 2015, 07:20 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Well if it was Mark at Lateral who did it you should be safe enough, have you contacted Mark/Lateral about it, he's a decent enough bloke.
Old 04 April 2015, 10:36 AM
0racle
Scooby Regular

No Mark doesn't do the work himself. The issue I'm having is what sounds like compressor/shaft wheel noise after a service/refurb. Sent back after refurb with noise. To double check im not going crazy I got about ten oppinions and they all agree that something's wrong with the rebuild. So I sent it back to be checked and they have said there is nothing wrong. I have heard others have had similar issues and want to gauge if its a common experience. I
I don't want to name to company simply because I want to gain some info before I progress, but also don't want to have forked out nearly £500 for a duff refurb from one of the best renouned companies in the UK that provide this service.
Thanks for all who have PMed me.
Old 04 April 2015, 09:38 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

The MD range of turbos were developed by Lateral but manufactured by another company who are reputable also. They are a roller bearing turbo & can be noisy, if that's your only issue & they have checked it & say it's OK then I'd go with it. Mines noisy & has always been like it, been on the car 3 years & still made 460 on the rollers.

Trending Topics

Old 04 April 2015, 11:19 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its spooling correctly and making the power then run with it. How long is the warranty on a rebuild ??
Old 04 April 2015, 11:27 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

That's the question... The noise is horrendous with play in the shaft .... Like I said there's a reason I don't want to name yet
Old 04 April 2015, 11:37 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 0racle
That's the question... The noise is horrendous with play in the shaft .... Like I said there's a reason I don't want to name yet
Everybody who knows about the turbo knows who the company is and i always thought/still do that theyre a good company to deal with. A horrendous noise dosnt sound good though but surly they span the turbo up beyond normal use so something dosnt sound right. Can u get a video clip with said noise ??
Old 05 April 2015, 03:57 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Everybody who knows about the turbo knows who the company is and i always thought/still do that theyre a good company to deal with. A horrendous noise dosnt sound good though but surly they span the turbo up beyond normal use so something dosnt sound right. Can u get a video clip with said noise ??
THIS!!!.SJ.
Old 05 April 2015, 11:56 AM
biged4244
Scooby Regular

My md was fairly noisey (alomost a supercharger sound) when spooling hard.
but no play in the shaft!
Old 05 April 2015, 01:57 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an mdx 321v that whens spools whistles abit but I love the noise ! Runs 2 bar and can make 530 bhp ! Lol ! What issues do you have ?

Maz
Old 05 April 2015, 02:00 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Can post a vid if that helps.. Mis there a way to post vids?
Old 05 April 2015, 07:59 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Can post a vid if that helps.. Mis there a way to post vids?
Upload it to you tube and put a link up on here
Old 16 April 2015, 09:41 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

UPDATE: Turbo retuned again with the actuator arm disconnected! FUMING!
Old 17 April 2015, 06:52 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

??? Elaborate a little...
Old 17 April 2015, 08:19 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

They never take responsibility for anything is my experience with them and their refurb costs are dry no lube!
Old 17 April 2015, 08:47 AM
veerinder9
Scooby Regular

Ball bearing turbos are usually noisy. Mine is a precision turbo and sounds like a supercharger even on tickover and kind of whistles
Old 17 April 2015, 05:03 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Well this was how it was returned after they checked it.. Their advice now; take it to Owen Developments ... Fuming is an understatement ....

Old 17 April 2015, 05:05 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Will find a way of uploading vids of the noise etc tonight when I've calmed down lol
Old 17 April 2015, 06:12 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there's something not quite right here because the company I know who make the MD321T would not tell you to take it to Owen Developments unless the turbo had been interfered with in some way. It might be a good idea to name the company as by default it's coming back onto Turbo Dynamics.
Trev
Old 17 April 2015, 07:03 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Why are you fuming regarding the actuator arm left disconnected ?? Have they just forgot to send you the circlip back ??
Old 17 April 2015, 07:24 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

The company that lateral send their turbos to be serviced have serviced the turbo to which it was noisy on its return. It was then sent back, with them saying there's nothing wrong with it. They then added if you want a third opinion send it to Owen Developments, and pay another £500 to get it looked at, erm no I would prefer them to do their job in the first place .. Also when I recieve it back the turbo actuator arm was disconnected. To which their response was "it was there when it left the build shop so must have been pulled off before shipping" I.e. One of their guys have lifted the turbo by the actuator arm and pulled the clip off and not done anything about it.. Another weekend of not having a turbo that works.. Fast running out of patience with them tbh ...
I don't have an issue with the clip missing, I do have an issue with them telling me that they could have broken it by lifting the actuator arm and the complete weight of the turbo on the actuator arm only connected at the spring end.... Will find out how to upload vids too tonight ..
Old 17 April 2015, 07:26 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Trev: I don't want to disclose at the mo as I don't feel it fair until the issue finds a resolution of no more ground can be made.. But as you say mark only recommends one company for his MD series
Old 17 April 2015, 07:30 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

The company that lateral send their turbos to be serviced have serviced the turbo to which it was noisy on its return. It was then sent back, with them saying there's nothing wrong with it. They then added if you want a third opinion send it to Owen Developments, and pay another £500 to get it looked at, erm no I would prefer them to do their job in the first place .. Also when I recieve it back the turbo actuator arm was disconnected. To which their response was "it was there when it left the build shop so must have been pulled off before shipping" I.e. One of their guys have lifted the turbo by the actuator arm and pulled the clip off and not done anything about it.. Another weekend of not having a turbo that works.. Fast running out of patience with them tbh ...
I don't have an issue with the clip missing, I do have an issue with them telling me that they could have broken it by lifting the actuator arm and the complete weight of the turbo on the actuator arm only connected at the spring end.... Will find out how to upload vids too tonight ..
What warranty is offered with the rebuild ???? Upload your video to you tube or photobucket and just put a link to it on here..easy enough

It seems very odd though that they have had it back and tested it twice and they say its fine, just how loud is this noise ??

Last edited by Dubzy; 17 April 2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 17 April 2015, 08:38 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the turbo manufacture's wether it be Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics, Owen Developments and others, would test run a new or repaired turbo for balance and vibration to a required standard, excluding variable influences from the car. I just can't see them releasing a turbo that's screaming on their machine.
Trev
Old 17 April 2015, 10:46 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

Ok so here's the video of it after being serviced and rebuilt. Only keyed on to idle what you hear is the entirety of the time it was running .. The noise can be heard best after 20 seconds

This is it in their test cell after being returned for the noise above .. You can faintly hear it when they open the cell door..

Hopefully the links work, never uploaded vids for here
Old 17 April 2015, 10:58 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

The first links are working mate, dosnt sound great whatever it is. Does seem to make some noise in the cell but sounds much louder on your car..
Old 17 April 2015, 11:02 PM
0racle
Scooby Regular

According to them that's acceptable 😳... I quite liked my bosses idea; pop it on, map it and if it's still noisy drive it to them, make them listen to it, and strip the turbo off the car in their car park in front of them and hand it to them... The play in the shaft is really noticeable too .. The turbo has a warranty but don't want it to get to that stage tbh

Quick Reply: Advice on my MD321T