Sponsored by:

setup help

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2015, 10:49 PM
j4meswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setup help

hi i have a bug wrx that i want to turn into a full blown track car so i can eventually run in the nippon challenge gt300 series which means that i can run no more power than 300bhp. i need to build an engine as my engine is blown atm anyway but wanted some help by people who have competed cars before, i just dont know what to do engine an turbo wise for it to be reliable. i have planned what i need to do to the chassis brakes suspension and all that but havent got a clue with the engine and turbo your help would be much appreciated thanks james
Old 27 March 2015, 11:37 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i've not done any track car builds, but with an upper horsepower limit you'll be wanting to get as much midrange torque as possible so you'll be looking maybe an 18g or a 16g with some mods/decent porting job and a decent uppipe/header combo to boot. If you can get a 2.1/2.5 engine then you can further increase midrange torque and keep the BHP down.

Your ECU should be fit to run the carberry/SD rom so you can have the lethal antilag and launch control without much fuss and with a few wires flat foot shifting too.

Couple all that together and add some massive brakes and good suspension setup you should be ready to kick some ***

Are there any restrictions on modifications to the car/engine other than the 300hp limit?

With the right setup you'd be looking to get a power curve something like:

Old 27 March 2015, 11:52 PM
j4meswrx
Scooby Regular

hi thanks for the reply i was thinking of possibly just running a 2.5 with forged internals and pinned block possibly the shell will be going in for a full multi point weld in cage and some fat ap racing brakes going to stick with 17 inch wheels as i feel they handle better on 17s also suspension is going to be fully polybushed and all the anti roll bars and things like that

there doesnt seem to be any other rules on the performance just that the car cant have any more power than 300 and cant be lighter than 1198kg i beleive somewhere around that and it has to be built to the msa blue book regs

thanks james
Old 28 March 2015, 01:19 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

cool - so you want a turbo that spools very early and gives it all up on the first date. 20g's and big monster things will all be out the window for you. Start thinking something billet (sc36 maybe?) or even an andyforrest hybrid TD04, with a shot of tipsy juice and some angry timing you'll be spooled and off like a rocket.

Stick with the top mount is probably a wise choice too, less lag from the shorter pipe run and you could hook up a DIY intercooler spray kit to keep things in check when your on the start line/in the pits.
Old 28 March 2015, 10:54 AM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Billet td04 would see you near 300 with great spool

Steve