Baby + sti query

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2015, 11:46 AM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby + sti query

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has used their sti as a daily driver with a new born baby.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in a while and I've currently got a blob widetrack sti with a ppp. In terms of practicality it's perfect with the isofix points and the 4 doors and good sized boot.

But with my completely novice new parent hat on how about the harsh suspension and fairly drony exhaust? Is that ok nearly daily or not?

Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Old 22 March 2015, 11:49 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sti has isofix points in the rear and child locks.
Its a four door saloon so it won't be any different than any other saloon.
Mine has kids seats in the rear occasionally.
Obviously it's not as comfortable and quiet as a golf.
Old 22 March 2015, 12:03 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

You'll find the exhaust will actually send the baby to sleep easier.
I had a fairly noise and harsh civic type r when i had my first sprog and we used mine more than my missus's fiesta for the above reason!
Old 22 March 2015, 12:03 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Thanks. I'm obviously completely new to this so I'm thinking will the car be too rough on rubbish roads and will the exhaust be too loud. I'm never going to be one to wrap my child up in cotton wool - far from it - but just want to do the job right from the outset
Old 22 March 2015, 12:06 PM
Tarling
Scooby Regular

Hi,
My Sti hasn't got isofix which is a bit of a bummer and I found I had to have the seat infront of the baby seat quite far forward, not great either. Coilovers hard as hell which don't seem to cause problem and with the drone from my exhaust (nurspec r) just sends her straight to sleep😴
Old 22 March 2015, 12:08 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tarling
Hi,
My Sti hasn't got isofix which is a bit of a bummer and I found I had to have the seat infront of the baby seat quite far forward, not great either. Coilovers hard as hell which don't seem to cause problem and with the drone from my exhaust (nurspec r) just sends her straight to sleep😴
That's awesome thanks. Wonder if the isofix was an option then
Old 22 March 2015, 12:16 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

the drone of the exhaust and rocking of the suspension will send the little one off no problem - does with mine
Old 22 March 2015, 12:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by staccato
After 2004 I think.
Old 22 March 2015, 01:10 PM
Tarling
Scooby Regular

Not sure, mines a jdm blob Sti but a early one, must admit ive thought about a isofix rear seat which I presume is possible but never seen one for sale!
Old 22 March 2015, 01:37 PM
Barxy
Scooby Regular

Isofix points would usually be fixed to the car itself, not to the seats.
Old 22 March 2015, 01:53 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Barxy
Isofix points would usually be fixed to the car itself, not to the seats.
Yes the fixings are attached to.the car under the rear seat.
My rear seat has isofix badge on it
Old 22 March 2015, 01:57 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

I got a widetrack a month before my daughter was born. Took her home in the hospital in it, take her out to parks and such at the weekend, she seems to love it. No problems getting her to sleep, the exhaust noise puts her to sleep. She knows when daddy's car comes in to the driveway from about 6 months old

As mentioned above though the passenger seat needs to be forward quite far when the baby seat is in the back. Pram fits in the boot OK but we find it easier putting it in my daily driver Vectra with it's hatchback.

We didn't get an isofix baby seat as we put it in 3 cars, the other 2 don't have isofix. We use a Maxi-cosy rotatable car seat that you loop the seat belt around. On the Impreza my seat belts are a bit unreliable as the ratchet sometimes engages when the seat belt is half way around the car seat. Can be a complete ******* as it keeps tightening and wont release, have had to unbolt the seat belt sometimes!

Overall I have little concerns whatsoever taking the Scooby for baby duties. Get some strange looks with the hello kitty sunshades on the back windows though! The only issue I do have is when people try to get you to give it a bit, definite no-no with young ones in the car.
Old 22 March 2015, 02:05 PM
Tarling
Scooby Regular

Yes the fixings are attached to.the car under the rear seat.
My rear seat has isofix badge on it
Thanks for clearing that one up for me as I'm clearly researching the impossible, lol
Old 22 March 2015, 02:34 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Newage cars (bug) onwards have isofix! I had a MK2 Fiesta with my first two kids so if I can manage with one of those then a Scoob is perfect! I had a Scoob when my youngest (4th child) was born She's a Scoobyholic now!! It always tickles me when people use 'new child' born as the reason to sell!

Last edited by BLU; 22 March 2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 22 March 2015, 06:17 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies. Love the scooby and if it's good for a baby its staying for sure
Old 22 March 2015, 06:51 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

My blob was fine as a daily car, both of my daughters grew up in it. I never used the isofix points always used the seatbelt straps.

I'm not sure if isofix is an addition to the cars seatbelt or instead of?
Old 22 March 2015, 10:33 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Great responses thanks. My neighbours and friends have all been saying 'I bet you'll be selling now you've got a baby on the way' but the last few cars I've owned although high performance have all had 4 doors and a big boot so there's no need to sell. Just wanted to check on the suitability of the exhaust drone and crashy suspension really. Can't wait - I'm even colour coding the recaro baby seat to match the blue and black sti seats!!
Old 22 March 2015, 10:43 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As Mr Thomas says, the STI is actually quite a family-friendly car.

Where it is let down is the noise and occasionally the ride quality. But there is a huge boot for throwing things in.

I do feel the STI hatch is a better car than the newage as it has more room in the rear and you can dump a lot of stuff in the boot.

Note - my RA Spec C does not have isofix points or deadlocks, I would not suggest using one as a regular family runaround
Old 22 March 2015, 10:44 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

How do people get on with baby carriers in the rear of the car on an isofix base? Is there enough room and does the passenger seat end up being pushed all the way forward for room?
Old 22 March 2015, 10:46 PM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seatbelt on mine wasn't long enough to go around the isofix seat we have.

Apparently they like the noise and slight harshness of sports cars as it reminds them of being inside the womb. Can't remember where I read/saw that, but although it sounds a bit strange it kinda makes sense

Last edited by kevfawcett; 22 March 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 22 March 2015, 10:50 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How do people get on with baby carriers in the rear of the car on an isofix base? Is there enough room and does the passenger seat end up being pushed all the way forward for room?
I'm just over 6'2" and have the seat pretty much as far back as it'll go in my hatch, and even an isofix base and maxi cosi pearl toddler seat fits behind that okay.

I've never fitted an isofix in a newage so I can't comment on that, but I'd imagine I'd not be able to get the seat the whole way back as there's a little less room in them.

My little girl is 20 months old, she squeals with delight when I accelerate onto dual carriageways.

Last edited by thenewgalaxy; 22 March 2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 22 March 2015, 10:59 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
I'm just over 6'2" and have the seat pretty much as far back as it'll go in my hatch, and even an isofix base and maxi cosi pearl toddler seat fits behind that okay.

I've never fitted an isofix in a newage so I can't comment on that, but I'd imagine I'd not be able to get the seat the whole way back as there's a little less room in them.
Great thanks. I'm planning on going for the recaro seat and base. Has anyone got this in a newage?
Old 23 March 2015, 10:09 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

There are much better seats out there than the Recaros, we have Britax in both our cars, mine being a wide track sti. Check the reviews on the seats in WHITCH or the like, child's safety first rather than looking ice or coordinating.
Old 23 March 2015, 10:14 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
There are much better seats out there than the Recaros, we have Britax in both our cars, mine being a wide track sti. Check the reviews on the seats in WHITCH or the like, child's safety first rather than looking ice or coordinating.
Thanks. The brand new recaro Privia came top in all the German tests then followed that up with a win in the watchdog crash tests on tv last week. That's why I would like the recaro. The colour coding is just a bonus feature
Old 23 March 2015, 10:16 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

How do you get on with the seats fitting behind the front passenger seat? Do you have to move the seat forward so the passenger hardly has any leg room?
Old 23 March 2015, 10:21 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

No problem at all my daughters almost 2 now so she's in a forward facing seat, which is not ideal but my car isn't the main family car, so she only use has short trips round town to Nursey and the like. She loves going out in it and shouts BOOST, and MORE
Old 23 March 2015, 10:23 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

No problem at all my daughters almost 2 now so she's in a forward facing seat, which is not ideal but my car isn't the main family car, so she only use has short trips round town to Nursey and the like. She loves going out in it and shouts BOOST, and MORE
Ha ha that's excellent. Did you ever have the rear facing baby carry cot thingy in the scooby?
Old 23 March 2015, 10:25 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pick my 18 month old daughter up everyday with my blob. I have a rear facing isofix be safe seat. Sti suspension, whiteline rear ARB, prodrive exhaust. She doesn't mind one bit! In fact she's always saying "daddy, car" and grabbing at the door handle trying to get in! Front passenger seat is fully forwards, not much room for front seat passenger.
Old 23 March 2015, 10:27 PM
staccato
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
I pick my 18 month old daughter up everyday with my blob. I have a rear facing isofix be safe seat. Sti suspension, whiteline rear ARB, prodrive exhaust. She doesn't mind one bit! In fact she's always saying "daddy, car" and grabbing at the door handle trying to get in! Front passenger seat is fully forwards, not much room for front seat passenger.
That's what I was afraid of. My car is our main car. It's not much use if I can't carry a front seat passenger as well as carry a baby in the back.
Old 23 March 2015, 10:31 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

No because I had a STI Type R previously which I put her in a Maxicosi pearl I think carry cot which just put in The front seat as it had no passenger airbag. I sold it and bought a Widetrack for the isofix, otherwise I would have hot a JDM.

Quick Reply: Baby + sti query