Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - hopefully soon to be owner needing advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2015, 10:29 PM
Vicky.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - hopefully soon to be owner needing advice!

Hi all,

I've just signed up for a quick bit of advice. Hopefully looking to enjoy Scooby ownership this month but I need help deciding which car will suit me best.

History wise I've had Renaults mostly. A 2ltr clio with ITBs and NOS as a result of many phases of boredom. This was so much fun for a few years. I then got a Mx5 1.8 but this was boring unless it was sunny! Now I've got a Renault Sport Megane 225 which I really love but again I'm feeling the itch for something a bit more wild.

Tomorrow I've decided to go and view a car but want some advice on which would be best. Quick summary both are standard and black.

2004 2.0ltr Wrx blob eye - cloth interior etc 90,363 miles - £4995

2005 2.5ltr Wrx hawk eye - full leather, heated interior 59000 - £5700

I've read SO many debates on the 2.0 vs 2.5ltr engines but I've done my extreme mods with the clio so won't be going down that route again. I would like a decat, front mounted intercooler and obviously a remap but beyond that I don't want to mess about with it too much. I should note that this will be a daily!

Thanks in advance for your help. I like the look of both so having trouble deciding but hoping to fall in love with one tomorrow!

Vicky.
Old 07 February 2015, 10:33 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vicky.

I've read SO many debates on the 2.0 vs 2.5ltr engines but I've done my extreme mods with the clio so won't be going down that route again.
Vicky.
Scooby owners say that but they all lie lol

Classic for a drivers car, newage for the comfort etc
Old 07 February 2015, 10:35 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to Scoobynet Vicky
Good luck in your search for the right car
I have no personal experience with the 2.5ltr impreza but have read a lot of horror stories and believe they are a poor engine unless they have been forged.
Have a search around the forum and you should see plenty of stories.
Old 07 February 2015, 10:41 PM
Vicky.
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to try and be behaved with this one!

It's the mileage that concerns me on the 04 but I'm terrible and never usually buy anything over 70k. How do these fair as the mileage ticks by and should I not really be worrying at 90k?
Old 07 February 2015, 10:51 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as know the main issues with the 2.5 are mainly St's the WRX seems to suffer less, no doubt someone will be along shortly to say that's a load of b@llocks
Make sure the cambelt has been done on the hawk if you choose that one its due at 60k

Good luck and welcome
Old 07 February 2015, 10:53 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget the fmic as all you'll do is introduce lag and the standard turbo and engines won't go to the level where you'd be seeing a benefit 400+ bhp max your going to see from a standard TD04 is around 290bhp. If you want to go beyond that there's a few more things you'll need to look at changing.

I'd go for the Blob, as the Hawk is always going to be a roll of the dice with a possible £3k bill on the horizon, which for me would spoil the ownership experience having that thought in the back of my mind.

But hey your money, your choice.
Old 07 February 2015, 10:53 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Check out the sticky thread up top titled 2.5 engine failure first.. The 2.5 is a fabulous engine when forged.. If standard then I would seriously reconsider a 2.5.. Even in wrx form.. You'll also need to have a sit down a ask yourself If you would really keep it standard.. As you've already said you would but also mentioned fmic, Decat and remap.. So you need to be honest with yourself as it would impact heavily on your purchase.. Post your budget and the guys and gals here on scoobynet suggest cars to buy or to steer clear from.. As what garages to buy or avoid from.
Old 07 February 2015, 10:57 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

All depends on how a car is looked after I guess. There is nothing to say the 2.5 wouldn't do 200k with original engine and no problems? But then there is nothing to say a 2.0ltr with 70k can't go pop? It's really about finding a well maintained,loved car. There are plenty of dogs out there but then that goes for any car I suppose. Just best to do some research and take your time buying the right car.
Old 07 February 2015, 11:03 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If spending that sort of money i'd be considering a bug sti. Way better base car to start with, over engineered in many ways compared to the lame wrx spec.

Many wrx owners wish they'd bought an sti, especially if theyre into modding as to get a wrx to sti spec costs a substantial amount of money, compared with the initial outlay difference in the 1st place.
Old 07 February 2015, 11:08 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hello Vicky welcome aboard..as already stated there is no need for a FMIC as the standard top mount is more than enough unless your going big power.. I owned a standard bugeye wrx and went down the full decat, panel filter and remap route and it became a great car once ide finished. for me ide go for the blob not just because its a 2.0l but I think it looks much better.. I would also have a good look round going off the cars you have posted I guess you have around 6k to spend and there are loads of nice wrx's within that price range with a lot less mileage than 90k+ and you are not far off Bugeye STi money there too so theres plenty to think about
Old 07 February 2015, 11:33 PM
dal c
Scooby Regular

Default new member-hopefully soon to be owner needing advice

personally i love the blob eye,i had the same Delmer blob or hawk ,brought the the blob eye in the end,standard when i brought it now running 320 bhp and i love it every time i drive it,im local to you so if you want to have a look at my blob eye before you look at the hawk you are more than welcome
Old 07 February 2015, 11:51 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TypeR99
If spending that sort of money i'd be considering a bug sti. Way better base car to start with, over engineered in many ways compared to the lame wrx spec.

Many wrx owners wish they'd bought an sti, especially if theyre into modding as to get a wrx to sti spec costs a substantial amount of money, compared with the initial outlay difference in the 1st place.
+1

Bug STi.. nice strong motor and plenty of nice bits, 6 speed/Brembos etc, this one's sold but gives you and idea of what you can get..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Subar...item3399be4e0d
Old 08 February 2015, 12:02 AM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Sti is a no brainer imo

Once you get a wrx and start to tinker with it you'll soon realise that making it go, and more importantly making it stop will become expensive, then you'll become limited by the engine/gearbox, injectors, turbo and start looking for sti bits til eventually you'll realise you should have bought an STI.

If you plan to never start modding it and just run it as a daily driver then fine, spank 4k on a blob wrx and leave it the way it is, otherwise get sti hunting.
Old 08 February 2015, 09:07 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TypeR99
This^^^

Having owned a Clio on ITBs and Megane 225 you really are going to be disappointed with a lowly stock WRX especially if you're looking for something more wild.!
Old 08 February 2015, 09:58 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
This^^^

Having owned a Clio on ITBs and Megane 225 you really are going to be disappointed with a lowly stock WRX especially if you're looking for something more wild.!
Have to agree actually although a modded WRX is a slightly different prospect, BUT by the time you've spent the money to get it there you could have been driving a Bug STI, which by the sounds of it would suit you better.
Old 08 February 2015, 11:19 AM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Jesus christ...£4995 for a wrx with 90k miles on the clock...

You can have mine for the same price, 53 plate WRX with 61k miles in black with all the bits needed to go to around 280bhp
Old 08 February 2015, 12:33 PM
Vicky.
Scooby Regular

Thanks for everyone's contributions. Whilst I'm pleased that I joined the forum I'm silently cursing you all lol. I've always wanted the STI but as I'd be using the car daily thought I'd be able to enjoy a WRX with subtle mods to the 290bhp mark.

Then I joined here and now I'm on my way to Hurst Cars to look at an STI.

It seems squashing my petrol head side for sensibility hasn't been successful!

Will post up if I find goodun.
Old 08 February 2015, 04:04 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Nice with ppp you'll be starting at 300ish out of the box
Old 08 February 2015, 06:03 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Max at Hurst Cars is a good lad by all accounts, he has a good rep on here.
Old 08 February 2015, 06:55 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX 2312
Jesus christ...£4995 for a wrx with 90k miles on the clock...

You can have mine for the same price, 53 plate WRX with 61k miles in black with all the bits needed to go to around 280bhp
all the bits, You just need an up-pipe and remap
Old 08 February 2015, 07:21 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
all the bits, You just need an up-pipe and remap
And what about the decat exhaust, fuel pump and 3 port? Christ man, if it is only an up pipe and remap then a) people on here have been talking BS and b) i'll have a load of parts in the classified section in the next 10 mins
Old 08 February 2015, 09:37 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

And what about the decat exhaust, fuel pump and 3 port? Christ man, if it is only an up pipe and remap then a) people on here have been talking BS and b) i'll have a load of parts in the classified section in the next 10 mins
bl@@dy hell I thought VPOWER would be all that was needed; )
Old 08 February 2015, 09:59 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve001
bl@@dy hell I thought VPOWER would be all that was needed; )
Just buy a classic WRX 280bhp is standard
Old 08 February 2015, 10:18 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

fair enough on the decat i was only having a laugh but a 3 port is not necessary and fuel pump is and advisable
Old 08 February 2015, 10:25 PM
Vicky.
Scooby Regular

The guy at Hurst was a top guy actually and after only seeing the STi I wanted it. Then I drove it... 😍
Old 08 February 2015, 10:37 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

3 port will have better boost control especially at higher revs so not totally useless. Fuel pump is a good upgrade,needed if upping power. And a decat will give better throttle response and spool.
All three=happy dayz
Old 08 February 2015, 10:38 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Just buy a classic WRX 280bhp is standard
always thought that the Classic WRX was 260 standard?
Old 08 February 2015, 10:40 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

The guy at Hurst was a top guy actually and after only seeing the STi I wanted it. Then I drove it... 😍
Lol Are you getting it?
Old 08 February 2015, 10:41 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

So the question remains...did you buy it
Old 08 February 2015, 10:42 PM
Vicky.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Lol Are you getting it?
If I can sort out a decent part ex on my 225 then I will. Find out early next week.

Quick Reply: New member - hopefully soon to be owner needing advice!