Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with 306 gti-6 or Honda Preludes?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2001, 12:09 AM
longun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Can say much about the honda never driven one but I'm a great fan of the 306 (Still got one )

Best front wheel drive car I've ever driven
Old 10 May 2001, 12:10 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Can help with the Lude.
It all depends on how much you want to spend. There's a couple Type-S ludes around, imported, with 220BHP, and excellent performance.
Alternatively, the 1999 UK model had a different exhaust system, bits and bobs, and hence has a 0-60 of 6.9 secs, and is the one to go for in the UK range (2.2's).
The 2.2 non 99 models reach 60 in 7.5 secs, and have 185BHP.
I would recommend getting an imported Type-S, very rare,
Old 10 May 2001, 12:23 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Question

I think "Top Gear" are reviewing the replacement for the 306 - the 307 tonight...

Might be worth waiting for it to become an "old model" if you go for the Pug...

Thanks

Gavin
Old 10 May 2001, 12:29 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Had a Gti-6 for a while and loved it - chuckable and less twitchy than the 106. Bought mine from Sidlows in Reigate - suggest you go there to test rive one coz the salesmen are real wimps and asked me to slow down as they were scared - I was only doing 60 mph down a long straight open road !!!!
Broadbridge Heath Peugeot were great though -after I test drove a 106 rallye (which I bought) he gave me a bit extra off the money as I gave him a white knuckle ride in my impreza !!
Old 10 May 2001, 12:55 AM
N8THN
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Stuport:
I gather you got my message on your previous post as i see you have narrowed your choice down to 2 including the GTi6.

If you didn't read the post go back to it i posted an advert of someone selling there GTi6 and it seems quite cheap. (As well as a piccie of my GTi6)

If you need to know anything about them, spec, prices, performance, anything get back to me. I know pretty much anything that is worth knowing about them.

I saved a packet on myn and i could help you out if you want.

P.S. Dont listen to the dealers they know fu(k all about nothing. I had a few experiences.

James........
Old 10 May 2001, 12:57 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Had a GTI-6 for 2.5 years/25k miles. Great fun, best hot hatch I have driven, particularly with Grp A rally exhaust and 16" wheels/205/45x16 PZeros. No real complaints/faults.

Now if you ask me about the 206 GTI I made the big mistake of px'ing it for.....still, that led to the Scoobs after 6 months
Old 10 May 2001, 11:55 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Got my choices down to one of these two cars now. Its for work so must be comfortable and reasonably economical but fun. Any experiences of em??

Cheers
Stu
Old 10 May 2001, 01:30 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I reckon the best FWD car I've driven was a 205 GTI (non-power steering version). It was very closely followed by a 306 S16 (306 GTI before they changed the name and added another gear) - very nice car, nice handling and went well. Watch for build quality issues and regular oil changes (using the proper Peugeot oil filter).

Chris
Old 10 May 2001, 01:38 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Yes - i had a 306 Gti-6 company car. Bit tricky on the limit and over diesel spills. Put mine in a ditch over 8 weeks ago and its still being repaired.

Cracking car. A bit rough around the edges - loads of noise on the motorways etc, but over a nice windy welsh road unbeatable fun.

I can travel quicker in the scooby, but its not as much fun as driving something with such awesome steering feel! Hope the 307 is a worthy successor and not a luke warm effort like the 206gti!!!

Go for it if you can!!! Just watch the old lift off / overstear / into ditch!!!

Jza

Old 10 May 2001, 01:43 PM
longun
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave T-S where did you get the exhaust from????

Cheers
Old 10 May 2001, 01:56 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

N8THN,
i did reply to your post on the other thread but it doesnt seem to have appeared... muppetry on my part methinks I said Id go check em out... reliabilty and build quality are my issues. someone I know has had one and he said it was always in the garage with electrical faults... isolated case tho. Still like some more feedback on the prelude... i love the look of it.
Old 10 May 2001, 02:38 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Stupot,

In the past I've owned a G plate 205 1.9 GTI, followed by a K plate Prelude VTEC, each for about a year and I've read lots about the 306 GTI-6, I so hope my views can be of use.
Firstly, they are very different cars as you know - One's a practical hatch and one's a not too practical coupe with little space in the back or boot (newest model a bit better than mine was though).
The 306 will be more chuckable, light footed and generally a better handler but the Prelude (with 4WS - and make sure it has this and ABS if it's an import as they were options on older models) is pretty good in this respect as well, especially considering it's size.
For motorway cruising the Prelude will probably be a little bit more confortable and stable having that bigger car feel.
In the engine department the Prelude probably has the edge (assuming you're talking 2.2 VTEC which is a must) with a fantastic note and a lovely change of character and power when you cross into the VTEC zone at about 5500 rpm (rev limiter at 8000 rpm).
In a straight line, outright acceleration should be be very similar with the 20 BHP or so advantage of the Prelude being offset by it's extra weight. The older model Prelude I owned was a bit quicker though tested in Perfromance Car at 6.6 to 60 mph and 17.2 to 100 mph - no slouch.
The build quality of the Honda should be better but Peugeots are better built these days so I wouldn't really worry about that.
Point to point on a twisty B road the 306 would be faster but the less windy it is, the closer they'd be, with the Prelude possibly having better outright grip on it's wider tyres.
Overall Running costs will probably be higher for the Honda with more frequent servicing (every 6k for mine) and higher fuel consumption - though not bad at all compared to a Scooby and considering it's capacity. Insurance probably more on the Honda too.
Looks - it's up to you.
In all a tough choice but you can't really go wrong as they're both great cars.

[This message has been edited by scoobysnacks (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 02:41 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by longun:
<B>Dave T-S where did you get the exhaust from????

Cheers[/quote]

Made by Magnex, available from their dealers, also in the Peugeot SportParts catalogue and available from a Pug dealer as it is the system they used on the Grp A works rally cars. They do a trick d/p to replace the cat also. All in, inc d/p, it's about £350. Godd quality, sounds good, and well worth it!

Old 10 May 2001, 03:01 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had a gti-6 for two years before getting the scooby. Best 2wd hot hatch on the market. Especially when its been lowered on some nice 35mm springs - the handling is sooooooooo much better. Rapid too!!!

Very tunable, loads of stuff for them etc, best of the pug gtis after the 1.9 205 (had one too) was discontinued. The 206 is naff and the 106 is great but too small. Its easy to get 200bhp out of the 306 for not much money.
I put sports discs and pads on my gti-6 and the braking performance was considerably better than my MY99 Impreza, although thats pretty good too (had a good test of them the other day and I wasn't speeding either!!!)

As for waiting for the 307, don't bother, have you seen it? Looks like a 206 that ate too many pies - terrible. Plus from the reviews I've read of it so far aren't wonderful, just very, very average. It will be ages till they do a gti model and if you were waiting for that you're better off waiting for the Focus RS rival 307 peugeot are rumoured to be working on. Read Autocar a week or two ago and they compared the 306 against similar cars and it still won even though its no longer made. It has on several occasions been voted the UK's best hot hatch but the auto industry.

These are just my opionion on the pug as I have never driven a prelude, but don't like the look of em anyway!!!

Hope you get something that pleases you!!!