Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2015, 02:50 PM
STiHunter
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Widetrack Blobeye STi

Hi All,

Just a newbie here introducing myself,
I'm Ryan from South Wales, & I've just bought myself a Crystal Grey Widetrack Blobeye STi with DCCD.
It's my first Impreza, and to be honest I didn't even consider buying one until I noticed this one advertised, I was on the lookout for a Focus ST, or a MKV Golf GTI, but I did an insurance check and the STi was less than £350 a year and that's at age 26! (only £100 a year more than my previous 1.8 140bhp Civic!)
The only pic I have so far is this one from the dealers (too rainy outside to take any better pics)

The dealer removed the fogs and replaced with the standard STi covers (this confused me at first as I wasn't aware that the STis came without Fogs!)
The car looks pretty standard, the only thing I can see is that it has a Prodrive backbox (not sure if the whole system is Prodrive).
The car pulls like nothing I'd ever experienced! I'd never driven or even been inside an Impreza before so I have nothing to compare it to. The closest I've experienced (used loosely) is a Clio 172 that I owned before the Civic, but this is in another league!
The cars on 64k with a full service history, Cambelt/Tensioner/Water Pump done in 2011 on 47k, with a mound of receipts for engine/gear/diff oil changes.
The only issue I have so far is that while accelerating or maintaining constant speed, there seems to be a bit of a judder/splutter (nothing too noticeable) but I think it's because I put a few quid of BP Ultimate in just to get to a place that had better fuel (it's now filled to the brim with Tesco Momentum99 so I'll update after a few tank fulls as I'm hoping this issue will disappear)
If anyone has any info on the car, or is possibly a previous owner, the reg ends in "OMM"
I don't have any plans to modify yet, I want to get used to the power delivery before altering anything, then further down the line I'll start tweaking.

Ryan
Old 01 January 2015, 03:15 PM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! Looks like you have bought a nice example.
Old 01 January 2015, 03:15 PM
gregwill
Scooby Regular

Hi mate!! and welcome to snet!! nice looking motor you got by the looks. You will love being in the Scooby scene I have for about 4-5 years now. If you need any work done on the car I always use a garage in llanishen called three arches the guys there really know their stuff so if you cant get to the bottom of your little issue I know the guys there will.

If you look in the wales section there's monthly meets ect that happen so bring yourself and the car along to one of them, always nice to see new faces.

Where abouts are you in S.Wales?

Greg
Old 01 January 2015, 03:25 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Lovely looking car, exact same car as mine
Is it a PPP? If you don't have cert have a look to see if it has a single cat, that will give you an idea.
Just to be nosey how much did you pay for it (PM me if you dont want to post it)? Thinking of selling my one in a few months.
Old 01 January 2015, 03:39 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car mate, I recommend using Indigo GT from Merthyr if you're from that neck of the woods.
Old 01 January 2015, 03:49 PM
STiHunter
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome guys,

Originally Posted by gregwill
If you look in the wales section there's monthly meets ect that happen so bring yourself and the car along to one of them, always nice to see new faces.
Where abouts are you in S.Wales?
I'm in Aberdare, I used to be an active member of a few Renault Forums where I'd attend regular meets, so no doubt I'll be doing the same here on snet.

Originally Posted by xgordyx
Is it a PPP? If you don't have cert have a look to see if it has a single cat, that will give you an idea.
Just to be nosey how much did you pay for it?
I don't think it's PPP, doesn't have any of the Prodrive piping under the bonnet, and I have no certificate.
It was approx 8k (included the part-ex of my previous car).. I was happy with the price as it was pretty local and everything seemed ok (judder was apparent on the test drive, hence why I believe my fuel choice was the cause).
Old 01 January 2015, 07:37 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Nice car m8
Old 01 January 2015, 07:53 PM
GH80
Scooby Regular

Does your car have an aftermarket dump valve? I have the same car, although when I bought mine there was a forge VTA dump valve, swapped back to OEM and had the ECU reset, much improved low acceleration and light throttle driving.

Mine doesn't splutter on BP ultimate, although if the car has been mapped it will need what ever fuel its been mapped with.
Old 01 January 2015, 08:05 PM
STiHunter
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by b3nmw
Nice car m8
thanks

Originally Posted by GH80
Does your car have an aftermarket dump valve? I have the same car, although when I bought mine there was a forge VTA dump valve, swapped back to OEM and had the ECU reset, much improved low acceleration and light throttle driving.
Mine doesn't splutter on BP ultimate, although if the car has been mapped it will need what ever fuel its been mapped with.
Looks like the OEM recirc valve
None of the paperwork points to the car being mapped and I don't have any experience of a 'standard' car so not sure if this feels the same or not,
The boost is instant at around 2700rpm.. I was expecting more of a 'graduate' power increase as the turbo spools, but this is like a switch when you hit roughly 2700rpm
Old 01 January 2015, 11:13 PM
Sarg400
Scooby Regular

Nice car fella love the crystal Grey
Old 02 January 2015, 07:30 AM
Alan999
Scooby Regular

Nice looking car
Old 02 January 2015, 08:25 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiHunter
The boost is instant at around 2700rpm.. I was expecting more of a 'graduate' power increase as the turbo spools, but this is like a switch when you hit roughly 2700rpm
You needed a JDM STI for that, with the twinscroll turbo.

There wouldnt be any Prodrive 'piping' under the bonnet, the PPP was mainly an downpipe/exhaust, map and Y pipe under the intercooler.

STI's didnt come with fogs as standard, so dont worry about those (unless you wanted them!)

What an awesome car to have at a young age, and that insurance quote is epic!

Good luck to you

Last edited by Trinity; 02 January 2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02 January 2015, 10:04 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity

What an awesome car to have at a young age, and that insurance quote is epic!

Good luck to you
I thought that too, whos that quote with? Im 32 and was getting quotes of near a grand on my blob sti,
Old 02 January 2015, 03:12 PM
STiHunter
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
I thought that too, whos that quote with? Im 32 and was getting quotes of near a grand on my blob sti,
It's through esure.. 26 years old, 8 years driving, 4 years no claims, zero points or claims
Old 22 May 2016, 09:34 AM
STiHunter
Scooby Newbie

For reference and to help anyone with the same issue,
judder/splutter issue was resolved, previous owner had mismatched tyres fitted.
Full set of matching tyres cured the issue.
Thanks.