CS400 v my blob

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2015, 11:13 AM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CS400 v my blob

Happy new year guys,

Half thinking about a new car quite soon.
Quite fancy a CS400 but for the price i was worried i'd be dissapointed after my current car; wide track blob running just over 400bhp.
The pros i'm thinking about the CS400 are it's standard out of the box the way it is so should be reliable. But i'm also thinking i could buy a hatch and spend the same money all in and have a more powerfull car that is also reliable. Or just stick with my car seems to be reliable so far.

Thoughts guys?
Thanks in advance
Old 01 January 2015, 11:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a nice JDM hatch at Hurst Cars, turbo and a re-map will see over 400bhp and be totally reliable, with some change left over.

Cosworth is a nice motor though, and there's more to it than just the power.

I'd give it a go if I had the cash, only here once and you can't take it with you.
Old 01 January 2015, 11:36 AM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
There's a nice JDM hatch at Hurst Cars, turbo and a re-map will see over 400bhp and be totally reliable, with some change left over.

Cosworth is a nice motor though, and there's more to it than just the power.

I'd give it a go if I had the cash, only here once and you can't take it with you.
Totaly agree about it being more to it than power, the CS400 seems a good package with the bigger brakes and suspention mods. That's what i was getting at about it being "out the box" has the power but has the suporting mods to make the car driveable on the road. Plus i love interior.

I'm just a little worried i'd be disapointed with the power if that makes sence?
My car is dead below 4k but puls very hard all the way to the limiter. What like is the power delivery from the CS400?
Old 01 January 2015, 12:35 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

The cs400 is a 2.5 so will have the lowdown torque compared to a 400bhp 2.0

Go drive it thats what id be doing if i was in the market for one!

Nice decision to have
Old 01 January 2015, 12:37 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The performance difference between my Prodrive Blob and my Cosworth is night and day.

The Cosworth is on full chat from 3500rpm and pulls hard from then on, I rarely rev above 6250rpm there is no need. I find myself driving in fourth and fifth a lot as it has the poke to dispense with just about anything and you can hold onto the gear for longer.

Top end pull is impressive, it seems to get from 60-100 very easily.

I will be remapping my car when the warranty expires, I suspect there is a lot more to come from these cars.

I've got a thread up about mine in the members' section.
Old 01 January 2015, 01:48 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
The performance difference between my Prodrive Blob and my Cosworth is night and day.

The Cosworth is on full chat from 3500rpm and pulls hard from then on, I rarely rev above 6250rpm there is no need. I find myself driving in fourth and fifth a lot as it has the poke to dispense with just about anything and you can hold onto the gear for longer.

Top end pull is impressive, it seems to get from 60-100 very easily.

I will be remapping my car when the warranty expires, I suspect there is a lot more to come from these cars.

I've got a thread up about mine in the members' section.
Just had a quick skim through your thread, beautiful cars you have!!
I perticlarly liked the post where you drove CS400 and S202 back to back, reading that post i would say that the CS is more what i'm looking for.
I enjoy driving my Blob but at times especialy when my 2 year old son is in it can be anoying to drive with the lack of low down grunt.
I've seen me driving along a duel carage way at 70 and coming up behind a car doing 60 then having to drop back down into 5th to get the car to accelerate. Quite embarresing as the car is very very loud.

Will deffo test drive one prior to buying, was looking for oppinions here first as there is none for sale anywhere close to me (Scottish Highlands).
Old 01 January 2015, 02:09 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

You have wrong turbo and exhaust on the car for the type of drive you are looking for.

SC36 and Milltek, remap and bobs your uncle.
Old 01 January 2015, 02:16 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt-c
You have wrong turbo and exhaust on the car for the type of drive you are looking for.

SC36 and Milltek, remap and bobs your uncle.
Haha, at times i do.....
GT spec2 headers, 3"decat down pipe onto a nur spec r and an owen developments (realy cant remember what model) turbo. Absolute brute of a car when on boost but crap off boost.
As for the noise i don't mind it but it's embarresing as other drivers know i'm dropping a gear to accelerate.
Old 01 January 2015, 02:43 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Yep, been there with 400 hp turbo on 2.0
Old 01 January 2015, 02:49 PM
jacob360
Scooby Regular

what about this hatch, seen it and its a stunner (second advert from the bottom)

http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/carsforsale_scoobys.htm
Old 01 January 2015, 03:04 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jacob360
what about this hatch, seen it and its a stunner (second advert from the bottom)

http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/carsforsale_scoobys.htm
Looks a realy nice car. Not looking to buy right at the moment. Probably arround the spring time.
What i think i'm best doing is when i'm ready to buy is pick out a select few cars, CS400 and a few modifyed hatches, then go traveling and find one that best suits me.
Been thinking if i don't buy a CS400 it will have to be a modified car, lost so much money modding cars over the years it's crazy (im sure alot of yous know the feeling). On the flip side of that it could be a badly modded car with faked recipts. That's why the CS400 does apeal to me, it's a modded car but done by Cosworth.
Old 01 January 2015, 04:26 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe worth driving a JDM hawkeye or hatch ,plenty of low down torque with the correct mapp
Old 01 January 2015, 04:54 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Lots of things to consider, but the Cosworth's got everything all in one package.

Would definitely map out of warranty though, as we all know a custom map always gets the best out of these cars.
Old 03 January 2015, 11:16 AM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are.

I had a look at a Cosworth & RB320 before settling on a low mileage UK Widetrack.

I could afford to buy any of the three but the depreciation/tax/Servicing on the Cosworth v's the Blob would probably be double if not triple.

Getting a Cosworth at the right time when the depreciation flattens out & it will be a cracker but not sure if that at £30k (now), £25k, £20k or even £15k. If we could guarantee that Mangoletsi would buy up all C400's whenever they appear then the price may hold high.

For that kind of money I also look at late V8 M3's but the same argument on running costs gets to me.
Old 03 January 2015, 02:19 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Understand that, when i bought my wide track blob i had looked at hatches and an RB320 but was worried about the possibility of engine problems.
My car would be worth 8-10k i guess and it worries me that i put another 20k+ on something then in a few months time loose 10k in depreciation.

M3's are out the question, would be great in the summer but i can't justify a second car to run in the winter due to the low milage i do as it is.
Old 03 January 2015, 02:51 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xgordyx
Understand that, when i bought my wide track blob i had looked at hatches and an RB320 but was worried about the possibility of engine problems.
My car would be worth 8-10k i guess and it worries me that i put another 20k+ on something then in a few months time loose 10k in depreciation.

M3's are out the question, would be great in the summer but i can't justify a second car to run in the winter due to the low milage i do as it is.
Two owner cars with 20-30k on the clock are going for the £30k mark at the moment. These were going for around £35k when I bought my car in October 2012.

You will lose money on one of these cars but I would genuinely be surprised if they lose the kind of money a new £30k car would.

The main issue with one of these will be insurance, servicing, RFL and consumables. It all adds up very quickly. These cars have a 6000 mile / 6 month schedule, many cars for sale already have gaps in the service history.
Old 03 January 2015, 03:33 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

See this is my other issue, i do arround 4000miles a year if not less and having to service a car every 6 months would severly annoy me. With the tax (my blob is the same band so it's not a jump for me) MOT and servicing that's got to be over a grand a year, plus depresiation. Minimum of 2k a year withought turning a wheel nevermind insurance.

One of my mates suggested a Bentley Continental GT, not sure if i'm old enough for one of them yet lol.
Old 03 January 2015, 04:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Surely it's only an oil change as there is bugger all else that needs doing on any Subaru after 6000miles, I already change my oil more frequently than that anyway around every 5k. Just did the first full fluid swap in 3yrs of ownership.

Personally I think Subarus are pretty cheap to run as long as you're not hoofing it everywhere, mine has cost me about a grand including tyres in 20k, I'd include steering rack and front/rear roll bar polly bushes in that too along with 5k oil changes.

So cheap in fact that I have treated it to a new alloy rad, set of springs and a Cusco roll bar brace for crimbo.
Old 03 January 2015, 06:47 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Yeah Ditch it's an oil and filter change inbetween the usual services as far as I can see.
Old 03 January 2015, 08:20 PM
Not a Diesel!!!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xgordyx

Put a set of winter tyres on & will be fine all seasons. The reason I mention the M3 (or RS4/C63 for that matter) is the honking great Naturally Aspirated V8 under the bonnet. These engines are into the history books.

If you are on the big Bentley as an option there is also the V10 RS6. £30k will get one of them. May be difficult to resist the tuning bug on that.