Sponsored by:

Which version STI?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2002, 10:44 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Some opinions/advice required over which version STI I should consider.

Looking at the possiblilty of a 3, 4, 5 or 6 (type R)

What I'm after is reliability following tuning mods.......
Price is not a major issue

In the past I've heard of STI 4s with problems relating to cylinder 4 going bang (have I got that right??)

I haven't heard much about specific problems with STI 3s and 5s - 6s I know little about, bar reading that the main differences between the 5 and 6 are visual not mechanical

I'm not really concerned about the visual differences between them so age is not a concern.

This is really to establish which version would be best to use as a base for modifications - for example, are there different generation turbos used in the 4 different versions or are they using the same?

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of a comprehensive up to date list of the various STI specs?

Thanks
Ben
Old 03 June 2002, 11:32 AM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

The V4 has a VF24, the V5 and 6 have a VF28....
Havent heard anything about the pistons in V4's. Havent heard much of any complaints to be honest....
One here in NZ has broken a few gears in the box, but its running over 500 bhp so bound to break something!!!
Old 03 June 2002, 11:47 AM
BKS
Scooby Regular

ben,

i've just recently bought a V (about 48 hours ago!) and absolutely love it. Before i say anymore, i was looking for months and months and read alot of stuff on here about them. I admit that i got very concerned about various problems people mentioned etc. Remember that these are incredibly capable cars designed to be driven. serious problems are few and far between!

Right, i believe that the IV's have a problem with piston slap. Although most people seemed to have had them fixed under warrenty.

As for the V, some people talk about them having "big end" failure. I think this is because the V's ECU is not as quick at detecting knocking in the pistons when you run it on crappy english petrol. (as you know these cars are designed for 100RON). Iam not sure how much of a problem it is as most people have told me there will be no problems as long as you keep it on optimax. Mine however has a P1 ECU which sorts out this problem!! (hee hee)

If you want a wbsite with all the specs, best bet is Sidc.co.uk. Tons of information on there. Should tell you what you need.

Cheers

ben