Sponsored by:

RB5 - Genuine or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2001, 06:44 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I went to look at an RB5 today ... looked exactly like it should do with the different wheels, steel blue paint, right seats, PIAA driving lights, short shift gearbox .... but ... it had no RB5 decals on the car, and there is no plaque in it to say what number it is.

The garage selling it says that it is an import from Jersey hence why it might not have these on it, but I'm not convinced?

Any ways of me finding out whether its a genuine car, or whether its a normal impreza dressed up as an RB5?

I have the registration plate and VIN number.

On the V5 it just says its a Subaru 2 axle extra rigid body impreza or something like that........ !!!

Any help appreciated !

Graham
Old 05 May 2001, 06:48 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

I'd phone International Motors, and quote the VIN to them.

They should be able to tell.

Ed
Old 05 May 2001, 08:00 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you have the phone number of them please?

I spose they're closed till Tuesday?

Thanks

Graham
Old 05 May 2001, 08:12 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Graham, maybe I can help here ...

It depends on what you would call a "real" RB5.

If it does not have the decals/plate, it is obviously not one of the 400 sumthing that were sold under this name.

But... the car indeed existed in other countries as well, under different names.

The only really distinct features are:

. fixed rear seat with solid bulkhead
. blue alcantara trim on seats & doors (ok, this could be done aftermarket)

This type of car was sold in The Netherlands as the "Stars25". In Belgium the exact same car was called "basic"

The RB5 only came in the color "blue steel", whereas in the Benelux it was also sold in Black Mica.

It also sported color coded sills in our neck of the woods. RB5 had some more features like the lamp covers etc...

But the only real distinct feature is the non folding rear seats of that (MY99) model.

On a rational level, it is probably the same car. But on a marketing/resale level, it is not.

HTH,

Theo
Old 06 May 2001, 12:07 AM
GMT
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the responses!

From the sound of it it's an import - so basically an RB5, but not an official UK numbered one

I'm very tempted to get this car ... as a very rough figure could anyone say how much extra this would be worth over a UK spec imported car?

Thanks

Graham
Old 06 May 2001, 12:09 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Sounds a lot like the car is a non UK import, especially since the V5 is different to Scott's. IM will be only to keen to point out if it is, but if you don't want to wait until tuesday, look at the service book and see who stamped the first pre delivery inspection or even if the service book is in english. There's nothing wrong with imports but you would expect a genuine RB5 to command a slightly higher price as a limited edition, but you should pay a bit less if its an import.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Any ways of me finding out whether its a genuine car, or whether its a normal impreza dressed up as an RB5?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thats all an RB5 is really!
Old 06 May 2001, 12:13 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Oops, posted at the same time there.

I would be tempted to find the cheapest genuine RB5 you can elsewhere (Top Marques, Autotrader, other dealers etc) and offer the guy a couple of grand less than that.
Old 06 May 2001, 08:29 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

believe they also have extra security - immobiliser and alarm. There should be sensors at the top of the 'A' pillars plus a small key pad inside the glove box. The dash trim is also a dark metallic grey finish - normally plain black I think. I presume it had the obvious fitted as well, like the RB5 mats and red trimmed steering wheel and gear ****?
Old 06 May 2001, 08:58 AM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

Just because the plaque isn't there doesn't mean it's not genuine, mine was presented to me in a plastic bag, with the option whether to fit it or keep it, granted why annyone would not want to fit it is strange but this was an option, also there should be a kind of brushed steel look around the dials, mats with RB5 on maybe, short shift a/c and a UK spec MY99 most important
Old 06 May 2001, 10:20 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

There was a dealer at Castle Coombe yesterday, Simpsons i think ??? that had an RB5 with no badges on it ? other than that, had everything it should have, wheels, interior etc etc

Only problems i can think of with it, is if it is a genuine one, why does it not have badges ??? has it been in an accident and they couldnt replace the badges, so took them all off ???? would also damage resale values, cos people will be thinking exaclty what you are ? Only IM would be able to tell you, try speaking to another dealer they should be able to find out from IM for you if you give them the VIN and tell you what number it was/is if any ! There may even be a friendly dealer on here that can help out
Old 06 May 2001, 10:31 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

&gt;&gt; Only problems i can think of with it, is if it is a genuine one, why does it not have badges ???

Ian, can I humbly (oh err ) suggest you read my post again ? The "RB5" is a limited series, but the car that was used to add some bits to was not. I think - not sure about the number - that Subaru Benelux had about a 1.000 of those cars. Not sure about the other countries like France.

My MY99 came with the following (standard) features:

. color coded sideskirts
. blue alcantara seat & door trim
. dark metallic grey dash trim
. fixed rear seat
. Nardi steering wheel with the red trim
. matching gearknob
. no ABS
. no airbags (hence Nardi steer)
. available in blue steel (previously an STi only color) or Mica Black
. gold wheels 16"

Is it an RB5 ? No. Is it the same car ? Yes.
Could it have been imported ? Yes. (another can of worms of course )
Old 06 May 2001, 10:36 AM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Mine had RB5 on the V5 form
Old 06 May 2001, 11:57 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

We had a version of the RB5 here in ireland called the GT special, I think. It was the same as an RB5 with no number/badge and without the RB5 spoiler. Otherwise the same car. It had aircon as standard.

Paul.
Old 06 May 2001, 01:44 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Ahh you don't often see Jersey mentioned around here!

If you want, I can try and find out some information on it from here if you like (just try and find out which garage etc..) and the only subaru garage over here is Maugers Garage (located at Sion ) - so see if it has that name anywhere on the numberplate (if they still have it, and they soemtimes put it on the back of the scooby, on the boot) and also I guess check the register details..
Old 06 May 2001, 10:54 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Question

Am I right in thinking that not all RB5's had the Prodrive Performance Pack fitted as standard? If so, that could be worth knowing too...?

Steve
Old 06 May 2001, 11:13 PM
Bas
Scooby Regular

That's right Steve...the PPP was an option as on any standard Impreza.

Bas
Old 06 May 2001, 11:54 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Theo

I know the car it was based on was not, but this one had the RB5 wheels and everything else, they are not gold but gunmetal grey and 17"! it just didnt have the decals ! It was an offical UK dealer selling it so "should" be a real one!!! hence why i pointed out the questions i would ask !!! RB5 had ABS and AirCon as standard too

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 06 May 2001).]
Old 07 May 2001, 09:16 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Talking

The RB5 has twin fans on the radiator cause it has air-con. One of the fans is for the air con while the other is for the engine. The RB5 also (not mentioned) had red stitching on the steering wheel instead of black.
Greg
Old 07 May 2001, 10:21 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Don't all UK MY99 have std alarm and immobiliser, plus std ABS?
And was the PPP really an option? I thought all RB5's had 245bhp?
Old 07 May 2001, 10:28 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Mungo, NO all RB5's came with the standard HP and also the standard high level wing ! The Prodrive high level wing and PPP were an option as they are on all UK imprezas!
Old 07 May 2001, 12:34 PM
Student bloke
Scooby Regular

I can confirm that the V5 does say that it is a RB5. Also I noticed the other day that the RB5 has twin fans on the radiator whereas the standard as only one? Yet another thing to look for.
Old 07 May 2001, 06:51 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

Question

Could anyone give me the number of IM to phone to check what the country of manufacture was?

I'm 99% happy now that this is an import RB5, it did have the red stitching on the steering wheel, etc etc... but I want to know the country it was made in.

Also, does anybody know how much they were sold for in holland? e.g. uk spec impreza was circa £15,500 ..

Thanks again guys

Graham
Old 07 May 2001, 07:07 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Haven't you seen the service book yet, the first stamp will tell you which dealer sold it from new in which country. If they've not let you see it, then that's dodgy.
Old 07 May 2001, 07:38 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Talking

The car Simpsons have is an RB5 - I had a look round it on Friday at the dealership. The interior RB5 badge is in the glovebox with all the paperwork (a bit of a gopping badge btw!) and the (unused) RBS mats and PIAA covers were in the boot
Old 07 May 2001, 08:21 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

When I looked at the car he didn't have the service book with him ... don't think it was on purpose, but obviously would check before parting with any cash ...

I'd still be happier speaking to IM to confirm the details ..

Graham
Old 08 May 2001, 12:53 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Question

Graham,

Would you let me know a few more details about the said car: Age, mileage etc and what you are being asked for the car. I don't want to appear unnecessarily nosey but I have a WR spec RB5 and am selling it in the near future and would like an idea of the market price for a standard RB5.

Cheers

Yex
Old 08 May 2001, 01:09 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

&gt;Also, does anybody know how much they were sold for in holland? e.g. uk spec impreza was circa £15,500 ..

IIRC, it was the same price as for the other cars. I think it was launched at 55.555 FL (including VAT and special Dutch BPM tax) and was even lowered to 51.995 FL.
Old 08 May 2001, 05:28 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

The car is advertised for £16,500 ono.

It's a W reg with 12,000 miles on it.

What does everyone else think of this as a value? (its non WR sport)

Does no-one have a phone number I can call to check with Subaru the origin of the car?

Thanks

Graham
Old 08 May 2001, 07:09 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

This is telling me it is not an RB5 as to my knowledge they were all 1999 "T" reg.
Old 08 May 2001, 09:30 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

I thought they were all T reg as well, but looking at the online Parkers guide it does list them as W reg as well ....

Graham

Quick Reply: RB5 - Genuine or not?