Sponsored by:

Are short journeys harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2014, 01:53 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are short journeys harmful?

I'm starting work in Chester tomorrow (Live in Wrexham) and the commute is a nightmare apparently so I'm going to get the train, at least initially.

I can park at a friends house near the station which will work out at just under 4 miles each way.

I've heard people say short journeys in performance cars isn't a good thing, is this true? I change the oil every 3-4k and take it out on 60mile+ trips a couple of times a month
Old 07 October 2014, 01:54 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not at all, stop worrying... an 8 mile round trip isn't exactly a short journey.
Old 07 October 2014, 01:58 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Providing you're not going foot to floor, boosting at every opportunity, you have sod all to worry about.
Old 07 October 2014, 02:02 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Not at all, stop worrying... an 8 mile round trip isn't exactly a short journey.
On the contrary. Short journeys don't warm the engine up sufficiently to evaporate any condensation that might accumulate in the crankcase. The oil won't get up to proper operating temperature in 4 miles and so cannot work to it's best advantage at a time when the engine is in need of good protection from wear and tear.
It's not a round trip of 8 miles either. It's a single trip of less than 4 miles twice a day.
But you believe what you believe I suppose.
Old 07 October 2014, 02:14 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Its a car, its meant to be driven. Treat it right when its cold.

or put it in your garage with some cotton wool and only bring it out on Sundays like a tool
Old 07 October 2014, 02:31 PM
HawkerSTI
Scooby Newbie

I've used my STI as my daily since i bought her over two years ago and i only live 3 miles from work and ive had no problems! I just take her out for a good run on my day off.
Old 07 October 2014, 04:01 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Good stuff guys, I never floor it on short trips like this
Old 07 October 2014, 04:26 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
Get a Micra for your commuting then
haha I would but me and the missus have a car each, I don't think I could justify getting another car for this
Old 07 October 2014, 05:11 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Depends what model Impreza?? If you got a Hawk then chances are your doing lots of damage!!!
Old 07 October 2014, 05:33 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Can you imagine the stick that Subaru would get if they said that you couldn't drive the car on short journeys? The motoring press would have a field day.

Just drive it sensibly and change the oil every 6 months.

You will be fine.
Old 07 October 2014, 05:36 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Can you imagine the stick that Subaru would get if they said that you couldn't drive the car on short journeys? The motoring press would have a field day.

Just drive it sensibly and change the oil every 6 months.

You will be fine.
Have you seen Subaru UK warranty, Id be surprised if that wasn't on there to get out of paying these claims on the 2.5 engines!!
Old 07 October 2014, 05:36 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Hey

Originally Posted by Trinity
or put it in your garage with some cotton wool and only bring it out on Sundays like a tool
Old 07 October 2014, 06:27 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Trinity

Oi, I do that Mr

I am a tool though according to the wife
Old 07 October 2014, 06:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

get a bike
Old 07 October 2014, 07:24 PM
mjharper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Depends what model Impreza?? If you got a Hawk then chances are your doing lots of damage!!!
I understand your concern but I've had the engine rebuilt and forged by API because it popped as expected!
Old 07 October 2014, 07:49 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You
The oil won't get up to proper operating temperature in 4 miles and so cannot work to it's best advantage at a time when the engine is in need of good protection from wear and tear.
Crikey I usually boot it up the country lane 2 miles from mine on a morning!

I thought when the water temp was up to it's normal peak the oil was also at its peak
Old 07 October 2014, 08:13 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

you couldnt be more wrong, my water is to temp about 1.5 miles after driving, oil temp or 90 degress takes at least 5 or 6 miles! Get a set of gauges!
Old 07 October 2014, 08:21 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

OMG!!!

Or 90 degrees?

You know what my guess mark is not working on my keyboard and I keep asking questions.

the / button works though but when I press shift+/ it doesn't do anything, so annoying.
Old 07 October 2014, 08:24 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

in essence your water temperature will get there MUCH quicker then your oil temperature, dont use your water temp as a guide, get a set of gauges or seriously consider taking a lot longer and getting more temp into the oil before stretching the cars legs.
Old 07 October 2014, 09:23 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

If it doesn't come with the gauge then you don't need it :P - or, rather more to the point, nobody will notice or care ... as illustrated perfectly by RS_Matt
/troll
Old 07 October 2014, 09:26 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
in essence your water temperature will get there MUCH quicker then your oil temperature, dont use your water temp as a guide, get a set of gauges or seriously consider taking a lot longer and getting more temp into the oil before stretching the cars legs.
Yeah tbh I always thought the water temp up to speed meant that the oil would be **** on.

I sincerely didn't realise oil would still need extra time to get to optimum temps.

I'm using the Thomas stuff too! 10/50
Old 07 October 2014, 09:36 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjharper
I'm starting work in Chester tomorrow (Live in Wrexham) and the commute is a nightmare apparently so I'm going to get the train, at least initially.

I can park at a friends house near the station which will work out at just under 4 miles each way.

I've heard people say short journeys in performance cars isn't a good thing, is this true? I change the oil every 3-4k and take it out on 60mile+ trips a couple of times a month
It does depend on spec but a regular UK car running the recommended 5w30 oil will heat up very quickly.

Something running say 10w60 with an oil cooler can take 20+ minutes to get up to temperature.

I've recently fitted a set of Genomes to my S202 and it takes ages for the oil to heat up.

IIRC the OP will be running a forged 2.5 and running quite a thick oil so would be best to drive off boost for at least 15 minutes after starting the car.
Old 07 October 2014, 09:42 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

You may throw your insults, chav boy, but I wasn't actually taking the p1ss out of you (on this occasion). I was merely pointing out that I'd expect 95% or more of people just get in their cars and drive without a clue or care what the oil temp is, because it's not shown
Also ... who in their right mind is going to drive it 5 or 6 miles before planting it? Ain't nobody got time for that!
Give over wasting your time scag, you're nothing like the Nightrider.

Old 07 October 2014, 09:45 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
It does depend on spec but a regular UK car running the recommended 5w30 oil will heat up very quickly.

Something running say 10w60 with an oil cooler can take 20+ minutes to get up to temperature.

I've recently fitted a set of Genomes to my S202 and it takes ages for the oil to heat up.

IIRC the OP will be running a forged 2.5 and running quite a thick oil so would be best to drive off boost for at least 15 minutes after starting the car.
Bloody hell it gets worse!

Doesn't an oil cooler bother with a thermostat/
Old 08 October 2014, 12:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Short journeys in ANY car is bad for them.

The oil dilutes with fuel and water from combustion gets into the oil causing it to degrade, become corrosive and allow condensation to build and create nice creamy gunk. Making idiot/internet mechanics think your head gasket has gone. This is obviously worse in the winter due to the colder temps. Its degraded and contaminated oil that kills engines, not how cold it is.

The answer? Simples. Take it for a "proper" drive once a week where the engine has a good hour to run. Doesn't have to be hard driving, just be driven long enough to boil off the nasty stuff out through the breather system.

Alternatively change the oil more often. Or better - do both.

PS...I never bother warming up/cooling down. Just get in an drive. I have to hoof it out onto the busy dual-carriage way at the end of my road on a daily basis; Its not something I like doing, but to totter out on that road would be suicide. Done that in every car I've owned, none had any engine issues.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 October 2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08 October 2014, 12:32 AM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

I have a 4 mile commute twice a day. I personally stay below 3k RPM for the duration.
Old 08 October 2014, 02:24 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
On the contrary. Short journeys don't warm the engine up sufficiently to evaporate any condensation that might accumulate in the crankcase. The oil won't get up to proper operating temperature in 4 miles and so cannot work to it's best advantage at a time when the engine is in need of good protection from wear and tear.
It's not a round trip of 8 miles either. It's a single trip of less than 4 miles twice a day.
You obviously don't live around here.
My oil's up to temp (Defi tells me so) in less than a MILE some days.

Depends on the traffic, and if it's commuter type then 5 mins and you're warm enough.
Cold/Winter days and if you use the demister before you set off, probably up to temp in a few hundred yards.
Old 08 October 2014, 02:28 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Yeah tbh I always thought the water temp up to speed meant that the oil would be **** on.

I sincerely didn't realise oil would still need extra time to get to optimum temps.

I'm using the Thomas stuff too! 10/50
In my experience, water temp gets to operating temp about a mile or 2 mins before oil does.

That's assuming that both dash and Defi guages are in sync.
Old 08 October 2014, 01:16 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
In my experience, water temp gets to operating temp about a mile or 2 mins before oil does.

That's assuming that both dash and Defi guages are in sync.

What oil are you running LWC? Curious as I run 10/50 and don't have a guage yet.
Old 08 October 2014, 07:48 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
you couldnt be more wrong, my water is to temp about 1.5 miles after driving, oil temp or 90 degress takes at least 5 or 6 miles! Get a set of gauges!
Agree - gauges help. I live 15 minutes from work. A mix of 60 A roads and 70 dual. Never take it above 3K until the oil is approaching 90. It gets to 90 at the end of the journey in this cold weather - I travel at around 6.30 am, with an ambient temp of around 4-8 at the moment. Water is up to temp after about 3-5 mins of driving. My knock sensor (via the Toucan multi-gauge) tends to get excited if you load it up when it's cold - leason learned a few years back, never done it since.

Quick Reply: Are short journeys harmful?