Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a boy racer?

In your opinion
Old 04 May 2001, 02:55 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

IMHO, the sort of person that drives as if they were on a track on normal roads. Particularly those that enjoy racing around 30mph suburban areas where young kids are playing.

Most are too young to realise how irresponsible they are.

IMHO of course

Saw a good thing on TV once where they drove some speed merchant through a fake brick wall at about 50mph, forgetting to tell him it was fake. Fair near kakked his pants

Maybe I'm just old before my time
Old 04 May 2001, 02:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Male (obviously ) trying to be 'hard' by driving in a slightly silly way, maybe too fast, wheelspinning at every junction, loud music booming out, king of the road attitude. Maybe owning small warm/hot hatch type car, with maybe badlly attached bodykit, other exterior bodywork.

Most would consider anyone who appears in max power, revs, fast car, etc... to be 'boy racer' but then we'd have to include Mike Rainbird, Stef, Puff, and a few others in that category!
Old 04 May 2001, 03:01 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Vicki,

A boy racer would be someone who "larges" it around any given town, seafront or McDonalds carpark! He would have to be sitting laid back in his seat, and have one hand on the top of the steering wheel.

A boy racer is likely to have a limited vocabulary, and use Ali G'isms most of the time!

A boy racer would think that anyone not driving a MK1 Fiesta with the bumpers removed and several different coloured wings was strange! LOL

A boy racer would also have his 12yr old girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat!

Matt

[This message has been edited by MattOz (edited 04 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 03:16 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Wink

Typically it is some prat with a suped-up small family hatchback that they try to drive like a real sports car. Oh and I don't think they are always BOY racers are they?

Disagree about them driving as if they are on a track all the time. Hand brake turns and burn outs don't do much for your lap times

I suspect the real answer is any male drive under the age of 25 as vouched for by insurance companies. I used to say except me but recent incidents have made me think otherwise now
Old 04 May 2001, 03:34 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

How to create a boy racer (must score over 100)

1) Find a sad muppet, preferably under 25.

Score 10 points

Additional points for

Spots 10 points
No mates 15 points
Hopelessly baggy trousers 10 points
Stupid cap 5 points (note LOSE 10 points if worn the right way round)

2) Find a car. It helps if this is a hopelessly anaemic shopping version of an already terrible car, and has at least 4 bald tyres.

Score 10 points (50 if stolen)

Additional points for any or all of the following

Nova 5 points
Nova 4 door 10 points
Nova 4 door diesel 15 points

(Note: LOSE marks if car is well maintained and insured)

3) Modify the car. The aim is to ‘personalise’ it to such an extent that it looks EXACTLY like every other boy racer’s car

Score

Loud pipe 10 points
Burning oil 5 points
Bald tyres on 20” wheels 15 points
Hideous bodykit 15 points
50/50 paintjob 40 points*
‘Performance’ tuning 20 points (further 50 if it actually reduces the power)
Broquet 50 points (only joking …

(* Note: a 50/50 paintjob is one whilch looks alright from 50 yards and 50 mph. Anything less and it looks as rough as that bird you were dancing with after your 9th vodka …. )

4) Drive badly. Clearly the average boy racer can do this all by themselves.

Score 20 points

Additional points for

Self-inflicted parking scrapes 10 points
Crashing whilst showing off 20 points
Speeding in town 10 points
Poor cornering 5 points*

(* Note: this is universal. Boy racers talk of ‘sliding the car’ when actually they were just understeering on a wet roundabout)

5) Talk like an ****. Clearly most boy racers can converse quite well (about their cars and in a 'Cor, that Jordan's well stunning, you reckon they're real then?' sort of way), but dropping ‘cool’ words into their conversations will add a huge credibility factor

Score 20 points

Additional points available for

Saying “wikkid” every other word 10 points
Talking like Ali G 20 points
Thinking you sound like Ali G 40 points (an additional 90 points for self-delusion if have a strong Glaswegian accent)

6) Fit a stereo. Most cars have one of these, but boy racers feel the need to prove to their neighbours (and those in surrounding streets) that their car is so equipped

Points scored for

Stolen stereo 10 points (lose 20 points for actually paying for it)
Tinny, distorted sound 20 points (LOSE 20 points for decent sound OR proper installation)
Playing hip-hop, R & B 20 points*

*Score additional 20 points if secretly you hate R & B and would rather be listening to Britney Spears. Lose all points if actually put Britney on …

Bros

[This message has been edited by bros (edited 04 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 03:41 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

LOL at Bros, v. funny - did you write that yourself?
Which of these scores the highest points??
Old 04 May 2001, 03:44 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol@bros

mark

Doh BoostII beat me to it!

[This message has been edited by Mark Champion (edited 04 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 03:52 PM
n1ckr
Scooby Newbie

Boy racers, the car does not matter (could be a genuinely good car or a Lax Power Hatch), its the fact they they race from traffic lights, around built up areas, trying to LOOK GOOD infront of Joe Public / Friends.
Boy Racers are not bothered about being fast, but lookin good, appearing to be fast, even if they don't know about racing lines, brake fade and wear and tear.
Then when it comes to the car, no consideration has to be made on performance benifits, long as the car LOOKS like it will go quick, even if it is an F1 car with a moped engine, or a Standard hatch with big racy lookig wheels that actually make the handling worse.
Old 04 May 2001, 03:57 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

Lol

It's Official....... You're all just wopping great big SNOBS!!!!

Old 04 May 2001, 04:01 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

And i'm a "Boy" racer
Old 04 May 2001, 04:08 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Right on Vicki

You'll all be Victor Meldrews before you're 30
Remember we was all young once

JD

(editted for grammar!)

[This message has been edited by JayDee (edited 04 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 04:09 PM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Wink

He he! but what I find more amusing is half the people on here fall into the 'Boy Racer' bracket but dont even notice. eg.....What exhaust sounds the best?! Urmmm How do I tint my windows?! ...these questions and similar are asked all the time on this board! oh and the best one of course is those huge rear spoilers!! Now who are the 'Boy racers' and who are people in the middle of a 'Mid-life Crisis' ...Seriously! many on this board moan about 'Max'd up' Novas but they have 'Max'd up' Subarus! Youre right Vicky SNOBS

[This message has been edited by letdown (edited 04 May 2001).]
Old 04 May 2001, 04:10 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

And.......

I think you're all age-ist!
Old 04 May 2001, 04:20 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

I do agree about the dangerous driving though, but then you get that from all sorts of different car owners it's just easy to target the modified hatch owners.

When I get as OLD ...... as all you guys I hope I don't categorizes people the same way you do.

Old 04 May 2001, 04:20 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ladies in Corsa's with redline stickers
Andyp
Old 04 May 2001, 04:23 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

Grrrrrrr....... I was on the Redline stand at Doncaster, I didn't put it there and I can assure you it came off the second I left.
I may be a "boy" racer but I'm no "sticker" boy
Old 04 May 2001, 04:27 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

an 80 yr old grandad driving a morris marina coupe (wit a black vinyl roof) like he has blinkers on, at 22 mph everywhere, 25 on motorways.

they may look harmless but by jingo them marinas go.

Old 04 May 2001, 04:30 PM
Mad Max
Scooby Regular

Very, very good...

The only thing is that some of us have passed the "boy racer"'s age... I'm buting a cooby, but any mods I do to it will be internal and none whatsoever cosmetic... I even bought the Sport Wagon because it's discrete... Ok, I do like driving fast, but somewhere no one can see (Country roads far from praying eyes... ). Sorry to disapoint you...

Old 04 May 2001, 04:31 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

Vicki,

Sorry, your views don't count. You've already admitted to being a boy racer, despite reasonably obvious physical evidence to the contrary.

This only goes to prove that boy racers and their hangers on are as thick as pig****. Thanks for reminding me that I should have put this in my earlier definition.

Bros Snob

PS Letdown - couldn't agree with you more!
Old 04 May 2001, 04:31 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Smile

Go on Vicki!
Big shout for the girrrl racers
Old 04 May 2001, 04:44 PM
n1ckr
Scooby Newbie

Mad Max I agree, I own a 205 GTi, has no body mods, all engine mods, suspension mods are for performance, it still has standard wheels, and standard exhaust, I even still have the factory mud flaps on mine. But the fact is that I only drive fast on country roads or the track, I aways drive at the speed limit around town and on the motorways for safty, ecconomy and piece of mind knowing that it is not big, hard, or whatever you call it to race around easy motorways, or unsafe town roads. Its weird how I never see the local boy racers anywhere apart from the highstreet or mcdonalds.
Old 04 May 2001, 04:48 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

Ooooooooooooh touchy..... No need to launch personal attacks on me!

I'm a "boy/girl" racer because I love my little car, not because it's fast or because it handles well but because it's my little freedom machine, it takes me where ever I want to go when ever I want.
I've also met loads of great people because of it.
Just because I've put big wheels and a bodykit on it doesn't mean I'm an unsafe driver, have no insurance or don't care about anyone else on the road, all it means is that I had a poo looking car and I've made it the way I like it. Does that make me a bad person?
Or stop my opinions from counting?
If it does I'll bugger off never to be seen on here again.

Oh and fair play to Scoobabe make sure you give them a run for their money on track days......

Old 04 May 2001, 05:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Bros, nice list mate, but you missed, from the modding section any mention of scooby bonnet scoops and/or P1 wings! surley they add a lot of points to the potential boy racer?

<I>please note that I do not condone the stealing of scooby scoops or P1 wings, it's just a joke</I>
Old 04 May 2001, 05:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO a boy racer is someone who thinks hes a good driver, drives a car which he thinks is fast, tries to make the most stupid manouvers ie overtake on the crest of a hill and not see whats on the other side, drives the car like a complete and utter dangerous chopper, puts him/her self in a position of risk more times than they should whilst on or off the road, is over confident, has no regard for other traffic users, cuts people up left, right and center (ok this is disregard for traffic users i know )
Basically a hazard on the road.

Tony

Old 04 May 2001, 05:34 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Tony
i could not hav put it better myself!

Phil
Old 04 May 2001, 05:36 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

I'm not like that!
I think that sort of driver should come under the heading, Inconsiderate mindless t0sser.
Old 04 May 2001, 05:44 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

Vicki,

You are taking the ****, aren't you? Your definition of 'boy racer' is that you love your car, it's a freedom machine. By that definition, every car or bike owner in the world must be a boy racer!

My definition, which I think more peole might agree with, is that a boy racer is usually someone who has little or no idea what he's doing behind the wheel of a car, and is far more concerned with how it looks than how it goes.

So let's recap on what you've told us about yourself and see if you really are a boy racer:

*Owning a Corsa. No more need be said. Unless its the very latest model, it's dynamically awful, even a Micra is better. Definite boy racer material.

Score 15 points (I'm assuming it's the slowest variety)

*Slow car with big spoilers. Axle lift is **such ** a problem on the Watford ring road. Of course, in no way is your car a (dead) sheep in wolf's clothing, no way.

Score 15 points

*'I've made the car look the way I like it.' Go on, tell me how different your car looks to any other spoilered up Corsa? So much for individuality.

Score 40 points

*Big wheels/wide tyres. For all the additional grip you need to sniff out on that tricky Tesco corner apex.

Score 20 points

* "I was on the Redline stand at Doncaster". Yep, this qualifies. Score 50 points

* A feeling that you're discriminated against by, well, everyone. Just because you've got crap looking cars that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and would probably get out-driven by my gran.

Score 50 points.

Add them all up and .... 190 points. Sorry, you don't qualify, though it's close. Obviously posting on the Scooby board has reduced your boy racer score.

Bros

PS Don't take it all so seriously! I'm a sad 35 year-old biker with a speed fetish. Presumably I'm a grey-racer?
Old 04 May 2001, 05:46 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Totaly agree with n1ckr.
Why don't boyracers ever drive fast when they are not in town?
Case in point. Driving hire shed (Nissan Primula Sport (not that sporty)) came up behind Nova with huuuuge exhaust, Novadose body kit and "catch me if you can" sticker on rear window. He then decided that 30mhp in a 30 zone is too slow so sped up to 45ish. I caught up with him in traffic just as we were about to leave town.
We came up to the GLF sign (ask a policeman if you don't know what it means) I dropped in to third and nearly went into the back of him. He didn't go any faster than about 35mph. I overtook him and he looked shocked! Very strange. Maybe his car wouldn't work if the wasn't any 14 year old girls to impress.
Sad!

Mark
Old 04 May 2001, 05:49 PM
Vicki
Scooby Regular

This is far more fun than chatting on corsa sport i like it when people write massive replys

Tesco car parks can be tricky sometimes you know

Quick Reply: Boy Racers