ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

poor brakes

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2014, 05:58 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor brakes

I didn't notice how poor the wrx brakes were till yesterday now really considering an upgrade. Question is how much would i be looking at to upgrade them probably at scooby clinic. And what would I be looking for. I got a blob wrx
Thanks
Old 31 March 2014, 06:18 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

It all comes down to your budget really but a Brembo Caliper upgrade would be a good start up from the subaru four pots,add to that a grooved disc and some performance pads and braided brake lines with a good brake fluid change and you would definitely notice the difference.SJ.
Old 31 March 2014, 07:09 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

The Brembo system may be simple but it's far from cheap; £450 cartel price from one of the breakers, plus new discs at £110 and then new pads for c£120...there are definitely better value setups out there!
Old 31 March 2014, 07:14 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cbscooby
I didn't notice how poor the wrx brakes were till yesterday
I'm assuming you haven't owned your WRX since 2009?

I noticed how poor they were on the drive home, the day I bought mine.
Old 31 March 2014, 07:28 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ST-X
The Brembo system may be simple but it's far from cheap; £450 cartel price from one of the breakers, plus new discs at £110 and then new pads for c£120...there are definitely better value setups out there!
I think he will need abit more info then you just saying that the Brembo set up is exspensiverecommend him one of these better priced set ups that work and are as cheap as chips mate,I'm all ears(or eyes).SJ.
Old 31 March 2014, 08:29 PM
cbscooby
Scooby Regular

This is my fourth had two classic wrx's that didn't run well at all 5 months each cost me loads in repairs one after the other then kids came along . Had a classic sport which I hated from the day I had it. And got this one in june as a weekend car only done 2500 miles in it. I knew the brakes weren't great but as I didntdrive Iit a lot didnt bother me. But now I want to put some money into it. Got a 3" straight through from turbo back to go on walbro 255 want it remapping. Really noticed the brakes on Sunday when I had to brake hard and it felt like these was nothing there.
Old 31 March 2014, 08:48 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I would not spend no more money on the performance side until the stoppers are sorted,I stick by my first recommendation Brembo calipers with Performance Friction two piece disc and Zrated pads,is a set up that would be a huge improvement,talk to Alyn of ASPERFORMANCE or Ian of Godspeed.check the for sale section as well as I have seen some uprated brakes up for sale on there.SJ.
Old 31 March 2014, 08:52 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

What about the 335mm Big Brake conversion by Godspeed, keeps the original 4 pots if your on a budget?
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~god...id_product=121
Old 31 March 2014, 08:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Have you actually looked at the brakes (in particular corrosion on the inner disc surfaces). Seeing as you say you don't drive it alot this could be a reason why they are so poor.

Point being, when I sold my old scoob to my mate...he'd leave in the drive for weeks without really using it, he'd wash it a few times (which doesn't help) and maybe totter round the block.

I drove it the once and bloody hell it was lethal. I demanded he'd drop it by me at the next weekend so I could take off the calipers, deglaze the pads, resurface the discs and free everything off. Cost nothing but labour, but the result was brakes that were working like they did originally.

Obviously if a piston is seized it going to need more than a clean a deglaze. But I bet the inner surfaces of the discs look manky (they always do when they aren't used much..why the inner and not the outer of the disc remains a mystery).

Standard scoob brakes "can" work ok....its usually after the 3rd 100-0mph stint that they usually give up and die.

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 March 2014 at 09:00 PM.