Newbie to the Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2014, 10:59 PM
CarlL 94
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to the Scooby

Hey everyone,
I Get my first Impreza turbo 2000 on the road in just under 3 weeks and I cant wait!
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps2e7ae467.jpg

Looking forward to hopefully getting to know those of you on here and hopefully see some fellow Scooby drivers out on the road
Old 21 March 2014, 11:09 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlL 94
Hey everyone,
I Get my first Impreza turbo 2000 on the road in just under 3 weeks and I cant wait!
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps2e7ae467.jpg

Looking forward to hopefully getting to know those of you on here and hopefully see some fellow Scooby drivers out on the road
Welcome aboard. Those Turbo 2000s are quite rapid in the right hands and still capable of humbling modern machinery on a back road.

I hope you don't intend to take that unmolested car the same way as that horrid Corsa it's parked next to

Old 21 March 2014, 11:15 PM
CarlL 94
Scooby Newbie

Oh no, whilst it won't be staying as standard as what it is, it by no means will be travelling down the same path as the Corsa don't worry!!
Old 22 March 2014, 04:19 PM
marco58
Scooby Regular

Very nice mate
Old 22 March 2014, 04:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be a little shocked at how much a turbo 2000 will cost you to run, they are also at that age that if you see any rust on those rear arches you best get it sorted asap, the first bubble = big problems.
If you are modifying then its not going to be cheap either, 17 inch wheels are the best compromise to drivability, front brakes are pathetic for a car with 215bhp, maf sensors... just replace it now and save yourself some time and money, dont run oiled panel filters and its not recommended to run induction kits on the phase 2 engined cars either.
Remapping is recommended if you are modding, not cheap though at around 5-600 quid, watch out for gearboxes going if they have been abused and always use the right oil ensuring the oil filter is fully filled and priming the engine is recommended, what isnt recommended is ragging it straight after an oil change, if you have not had it done properly then you will be looking for a new engine

I would also recommend you only run super unleaded, its the best mod you can do for this car, makes her run more smoothly

Tony

PS, clutch judder on the standard clutches is common, standing start normally clears if for a little while

Last edited by TonyBurns; 22 March 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 22 March 2014, 04:43 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the fold mate looks a nice straight car u have there
Old 22 March 2014, 06:39 PM
CarlL 94
Scooby Newbie

Cheers guys, much appreciated!

Tony,
why is it that its not recommended to run inductions kits? is it because of the potential heat absorption from the engine?
what panel filter would you recommend?

The cambelt is due and at the same time of changing that I'm also planning on doing full oil changes Plan on doing this before I get her back on the road where it belongs!

Carl

Trending Topics

Old 22 March 2014, 06:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carl, fragile maf sensors, the vibration will kill them leading to engine failure (hence my comment about replacing it now ), plus you would just be pulling in hot air from the engine, sort of defeats the intention of having an induction kit really.
Panel filter wise, green, STI (though quite expensive), cosworth are all viable options.

Cambelt, either an original subaru one or a gates, wouldnt recommend anything else tbh, not cheap and your car has a 3 year/45k cam belt interval, whichever comes first.
Older cars may need a little more maintenance when changing the cambelt so recommend using a speciallist (its a long cam belt).

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 22 March 2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 22 March 2014, 11:03 PM
CarlL 94
Scooby Newbie

Oh I see... Looks like the cone filter will definitely be removed and a new maf sensor fitted!!
Will go back to standard box and a green panel I reckon!!

My sisters boyfriend is a mechanic and has worked on a couple of scoobys in the past so fingers crossed all shall go smoothly!!
Old 25 March 2014, 09:40 PM
CarlL 94
Scooby Newbie

Got myself a K&N panel filter, original box is in the boot of the car so that's going to be re-fitted this weekend
Old 31 March 2014, 09:30 PM
CarlL 94
Scooby Newbie

Hey everyone

Tackled the cambelt change on Saturday afternoon and to mine and my friends amazement the cambelt had been put on about half a tooth out on all 4 cam pulleys!! Crazy!

Managed to change all idle pulleys with ease and gladly so as the old pulleys were shot to pieces dry/worn bearings on just about all of them!!
When putting the belt back on managed to get the timing marks lined up perfectly! My friend (mechanic) then drove the car home and said it was like driving a completely different car smooth and pulley strongly through the entire rev range! Chuffed