ST to STI advice

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2014, 02:46 PM
trickyscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST to STI advice

Hi all,

I currently drive a 2011 focus ST-2 (only mod being a remap to 265ish hp). I've always loved scoobs and I'm recently getting decent insurance quotes on them! If I sold my ST id be looking at getting a 2005-2006 STI with 40-50K ish miles on the clock. Obviously that means going from a 3 year old car to a 8-9 year old car (to be used as a daily driver). I'm aware of the running costs etc which won't be too different from the ST. But what's people's honest opinion on reliability of a scoob this age? I know it all depends on how it's been treated in the past and so on but i don't want it to turn into a money pit!!

Advice please (: thanks Richard
Old 20 March 2014, 02:51 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

If you're looking at the hawkeye shape (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...P/DSCF0922.jpg) (late 2005 - 2007) then budget for a forged engine build when it eventually goes. Not if it goes, when it goes. Or buy one forged of course.

Blobeye STI (2003 - 2005) would be your best bet. The stronger 2.0L engine. As long as it's got full service history and hasn't been barried, you'll do fine reliability wise .
Old 20 March 2014, 02:54 PM
kershaw-330s
Scooby Regular

not all 2.5 go typical mindless coment
Old 20 March 2014, 03:02 PM
oliver dufresne
Scooby Regular

Default ST to STI

I had an 05 WRX wagon as an only car and found it a bit tiring on the wallet, and focused on its weakness's because of it.

A few years on I have a diesel comfy family car and an 03 JDM STI.
The difference from owning one previously is totally different, as i only do about 600 miles a month, I really look forward to driving it.

I am pretty sure the ST is easier to drive than the STI, but the performance difference will impress, especially if you go for JDM version.

Good luck with it
Old 20 March 2014, 03:03 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed not all of them go pop but what would you say is the biggest problem with the 2.5L +06 cars, apart from the headlight leveling issues on the hawks?

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 20 March 2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 03:10 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

Alright then, 99% of them do? He asked about reliability issues. The 2.5 is not reliable. What, you want me to lie? It's a well documented issue.
Old 20 March 2014, 03:25 PM
trickyscooby
Scooby Newbie

So the 2.0 is the one to go for then ? And of course that means avoiding the £450 (or what ever it is) tax band ? What else do I need to be looking for then with a second hand scoob? Is the 60K service a big one on them ?

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2014, 03:37 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

My main concern for you Trickscooby , is you say you don't want it to turn into a money pit .
Unless it's had a great deal spent , regardless of year , engine choice , they All require money , time , care & lots of head banging lol
If you just want a daily drive that you just drive & forget about
Stick to your ST or buy a Honda
Subaru's require a lot more I'm afraid
Old 20 March 2014, 03:42 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arkynsei
Alright then, 99% of them do? He asked about reliability issues. The 2.5 is not reliable. What, you want me to lie? It's a well documented issue.
Thought you said you weren't going to lie. If the 2.5 is as bad as you say they'd never leave the local mechanics.
Old 20 March 2014, 03:46 PM
trickyscooby
Scooby Newbie

Ok I need to elaborate on "I don't want a money pit".. I love keeping and maintaing cars and accept that any performance motor (including the ST) will require a lot more money to be spent to keep them on the road in comparison the the basic 1.2 box. I mean things like cracked liners (which is a common ST problem btw haha), clutch and gearbox life etc... Luckily for me I'm in a position where I can get to work on a bike in 30 mins if things went peak tounge!
Old 20 March 2014, 04:11 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd keep the ST and spend a few ££ s to mod it (just to change it up a bit to get intrested in it again) especially for a daily drive.
Old 20 March 2014, 04:17 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

I would have imagined the ST liner problem exists with people trying to add 100-150 BHP to there car without addressing internal property's

On the fly , the tuning world is the same for anybody
Do it once - do it right
Old 20 March 2014, 04:20 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

What's your budget roughly, people can then advise what you should be looking at. You might well be able to pick up a forged Hawkeye or even a JDM Hawkeye (these are 2.0l). What I would say is don't let a couple of hundred pound (VED) put you off buying the right car, because in the grand scheme of things £4 a week (although nobody likes/wants to pay it) is not a lot.
Old 20 March 2014, 04:43 PM
trickyscooby
Scooby Newbie

My budget is around 12K... No more than 13. And regarding the liner issue it is just as common on completely standard engines as it is on ones pushing 400+hp, although many companies offer the block mod which is meant to sort the problem (:
Old 20 March 2014, 04:47 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trickyscooby
Ok I need to elaborate on "I don't want a money pit".. I love keeping and maintaing cars and accept that any performance motor (including the ST) will require a lot more money to be spent to keep them on the road in comparison the the basic 1.2 box. I mean things like cracked liners (which is a common ST problem btw haha), clutch and gearbox life etc... Luckily for me I'm in a position where I can get to work on a bike in 30 mins if things went peak tounge!
I'd imagine the cracking liners on the ST is the same as the chocolate pistons on the 2.5l and the equally choclaty gearbox on the Astra VXR. Yes they are known issues and yes they do happen from time to time. Are they as frequent/bad as the Internet makes out... Probably not.
Old 20 March 2014, 05:07 PM
jiha4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I'd keep the ST and spend a few ££ s to mod it (just to change it up a bit to get intrested in it again) especially for a daily drive.
I had a 07 ST that I spent £1000's on but once I jumped into my previous STI it was in a different league with the handling etc. once you start spending money on the ST the increased BHP through the front wheels does start to become a problem in the corners especially in the wet/damp IMHO

Get yourself a scooby mate whichever it is you'll enjoy it

Last edited by jiha4; 20 March 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 05:19 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Don't change is my simple answer.

I have a 330bhp 2005 2.0 litre Impreza and also have regular use of my best mate's Focus ST2, mapped like yours to 265bhp.

The difference in performance is virtually nil. Once you adjust for transfer loss of the four wheel drive train the difference between the two is not 65 bhp but more like 20 or 30 bhp. At speed I might pull out a couple of lengths on him, but if we're talking about in-gear acceleration the Impreza has no chance of keeping up. Imprezas start to boost hard at 4,000 rpm, but the Focus will be picking up at 1,500 rpm.

In anything other than wet conditions only a full bore start will allow the Impreza to stay ahead of the Focus.

The difference in servicing costs is hilarious too. The STI will need at least £1,000 a year spent keeping it on the road. If it isn't a big service then it will be time for a clutch, or cam belt, or new discs, there is always something on them and it's always expensive.

The Ford is much more comfortable and much quieter too.

Below is a very very rough overlay of the two cars, you can see that at 3,000 rpm the Ford is putting a full 70 bhp more down than the Impreza. At 5,000 rpm the Impreza is 50 bhp ahead....at the fly wheel. On the road the Impreza still won't be putting any more power down, so don't expect the Impreza to be faster.

Last edited by romford-boy; 20 March 2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 06:05 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my mates st from time to time and yes it's quick (276 bhp) but it is by no means anywhere near my wrx sti nor anywhere near my old classic drive or performance wise, but horses for courses everyone will have their own opinions but the best advice I was given by members on here whilst I was looking for my current car was go and drive one to get a feel for a Scooby then go from there. Yes the Scooby will cost a bit more upkeep wise but nothing where you will need a second mortgage lol.
Old 20 March 2014, 06:10 PM
jiha4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GONZO01
I drive my mates st from time to time and yes it's quick (276 bhp) but it is by no means anywhere near my wrx sti nor anywhere near my old classic drive or performance wise, but horses for courses everyone will have their own opinions but the best advice I was given by members on here whilst I was looking for my current car was go and drive one to get a feel for a Scooby then go from there. Yes the Scooby will cost a bit more upkeep wise but nothing where you will need a second mortgage lol.
+1
Old 20 March 2014, 06:20 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

If your budget is 10-12k I would buy a blob sti for around 6k,get it forged, sort the suspension and brakes and enjoy it.
You will never make a focus go round corners like an impreza !
Let's face it, if the focus fwd was so good why did ford wrc build the focus 4wd ?
I've left many a focus RS once you turn off a straight road.
Traffic light Grand Prix
Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
It's so funny watching them sh@t themselves when they realise they just can't carry the same corner speed.
I'm no Colin McRae but IMO if anyone thinks a 300 bhp focus is a match for a 300 bhp impreza then you are seriously not driving it right.
The more you push an impreza in a bend the more it will grip.
The more you push a focus in a bend the more it will loose grip.
Sounds very simple, actually it is, don't try to fettle an impreza round a bend, grab it by the scruff of the neck, get it to dig in, enjoy the grip and have a silly little grin on your face.

Siv

Last edited by sivo; 20 March 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 20 March 2014, 06:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the Focus, or buy an Evo IX. I dislike Subaru engines from the point of view of power band (2.0) or reliability (2.5), exception 2.0 JDM or built 2.5, 2.3 etc, but a good build with supporting parts will cost the same as the car again.
Old 20 March 2014, 06:51 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo
if anyone thinks a 300 bhp focus is a match for a 300 bhp impreza then you are seriously not driving it right.
That's odd, because Ford's 300 bhp car went around the Top Gear track in an identical time to Subaru's 300 bhp Blob eye WR1.

Maybe the Stig wasn't driving it right?
Old 20 March 2014, 07:11 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

^ who cares lol
I play with porsche's not Ford's
Old 20 March 2014, 07:15 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"Top gear track"......

"maybe" the stig is from essex ?

"The Ford is much more comfortable and much quieter too"...... your on the wrong site for quiet and comfortable.........

i would say the isle of man is more "real world"

siv
Old 20 March 2014, 07:16 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by romford-boy
The difference in servicing costs is hilarious too. The STI will need at least £1,000 a year spent keeping it on the road. If it isn't a big service then it will be time for a clutch, or cam belt, or new discs, there is always something on them and it's always expensive.
Where on earth are you getting your car serviced? Mines just been in for one of the bigger services (all fluids and plugs) and it was only 500 quid. So servicing isn't that bad, certainly no worse than my VXR.
Old 20 March 2014, 07:56 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true
Old 20 March 2014, 08:39 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

But its a daily drive , not for racing porches on twisty roads.
Old 20 March 2014, 08:51 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkynsei
JDM Foggies, UK Legacies and Outbacks all have 2.5 engines and go very well with big mileages.
Old 20 March 2014, 08:56 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

For that budget, you should be able to get a really nice 2005 JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) 2.0 Blob STi, with low-ish miles and a decent history.

You're also in the area of Litchfield Type 20 Blobs (have a search) and just possibly a JDM (2.0) Hawk, although you might need a bit more for one of those.

I was going to suggest trying Hurst Cars:

http://www.hurstcars.co.uk/used-cars

but it looks like there's something not quite right with his site at present.
Old 20 March 2014, 11:27 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo

i would say the isle of man is more "real world"

It's no wonder Subaru owners have a reputation for being divs.

Quick Reply: ST to STI advice